New to Transmog: how to get gear?

New Player Help and Guides
How do I get old BoP gear for transmog?

I just got back WoW a month ago and I am getting in the groove again. I'm tanking heroics on my 90 Paladin and almost ready for LFR.

I just discovered the awesomeness of transmog. And I am hooked.

How do I get old Dungeon Set and Raid gear? Do you solo the old stuff and farm for drops? How high of a raid can I solo as a 90 Prot Paladin with a ~458 iLevel? Can I do 40 man AQ?

Also, I assume I have to run to the old instances - cannot use LFD to farm Scholomance at level 90, yes?

Should I farm mining/herbalism to get my gold up so I can snatch things off the AH? I'm broke :)

Thanks for any advice. Also, if you have ideas on how to get started in general I'd appreciate any information. I found the joy of The WoW Roleplay gear site for ideas and where to hunt down items I like. Anything else?

Welcome back!

Well first, yes, you can farm old raids and dungeons for transmog pieces. Some people will transmog an entire Tier set, others will mix and match different types of armor pieces.

As far as how high level raids you can solo, well I don't have a paladin above 60 so I wouldn't know. But I know for sure you solo MC, both AQ raids, though the Twin Emps might take a little work. And the first boss of BWL can be tricky but it's always helpful if you bring along one more friend to help. Also, mini companion lets were added to these level 60 raids. :)

For lvl 70 raids, you can solo Mag and Gruuls lair, Black Temple you can solo most of it, just the council you'll have to interrupt a lot on your own. Idk about Hyjal and Sunwell, I have yet to try them. And I also don't know about which level 80 raids you can solo.

You won't need a raid group to enter level 80 and lower raids, you can enter them on your own now without a group. As far as Scholomance, you can always just do the lower level version of the dungeon, the non heroic one is still low level, I don't know if they drop the same looking gear.

And finally, there is an addon called Mogit, a pretty sweet addon for Transmog addicts. :D
They've been fiddling with a lot of the fights lately, so some, like the first one in BWL, are much easier to do alone now. At 450ish, you'll be able to survive pretty well up into Wrath raids, but some fights that require a lot of extra DPS can be tricky even with nerfs. Read up on them at Wowhead though to see if and how other pallies have done it, and even what other classes have discovered to make something easier. Frankly Pandaria dailies are more difficult than most of the BC stuff. And yeah, to farm a lot of that gear, you'll have to go directly to the instance's world entrance. Get used to doing some of them repeatedly, I think I ran Serpentshrine for a couple months before Morogrim finally dropped the shoulders I wanted, but I did get something else there on the first or second trip. I forget what now, because I went to all that trouble then decided on a totally different Transmog look xD

I find http://wow.joystiq.com/category/transmogrification/ and Icy-Veins.com's Transmog lists useful too; the latter lets you browse all of the available item models to help pinpoint specific looks. Wowroleplaygear.com is another one to check.

With your gear, replace anything that doesn't have Strength with something that does. I believe Prot is still favoring Hit/Expertise, Haste, and Mastery over Dodge/Parry, so you may find yourself choosing what's traditionally considered to be DPS gear from time to time, and reforging out of D/P (which you may want to do now as much as you can afford, at least to get the Hit up, it's likely to be cheaper than gemming). If you start the new Darkspear questline (two scenarios and a few quests), you can get some suitable epics fairly quick, and Striker's Battletags is available for 1250 Valor without any rep requirements.

The gathering professions should help bring in extra gold for glyphs/gems/enchants, dailies are a good supplemental source, and running the old content will bring some in as well; some stuff can go in the AH, but most you'll vendor, and if you have an enchanter you can send them LOTS of stuff to DE and sell those mats too. Might also consider joining a friendly guild, that can sometimes cut down on expenses by providing a cheaper (even free) source of necessary items. Oh, and if you get into the dailies, if you max out Tillers and gain the whole 16-plot farm, you can get some extra gold from selling the crops in the AH. Increasing your rep with some of the factions can also lead to some gear upgrades to consider.
The Darkmoon Faire, which is active this week, also has some transmorg items available. They have no stats and are just used for transmorg.
If I buy Dark Moon Faire transmog gear on this Paladin, is it available to transmog for my alts?
They're BoE, so you can certainly send them to your alts.

As for whether you can use them, remember the rules of transmog. It binds the item you're using to you, and you have to be able to use the piece you're using for transmog. So you obviously can't send the item after it's been used for transmog, and plate gear is only useful to people who already use plate.

(The other two restrictions are that you can only transmog like type to like type, so your paladin can only look like they're wearing a leather chestpiece if they're willing to actually downgrade to a (different) leather chestpiece. And that you can't mog to "silly" things, which is irrelevant when you're talking gear that's only there for transmog.)
Wait I'm still confused on how to get your armor up. On this MW monk the healing done kinda sorta really sucks. And on my feral druid and shadow priest the dps sucks so bad on them. What do I need to do to get them up?
09/07/2014 08:34 PMPosted by Alayassanth
Wait I'm still confused on how to get your armor up. On this MW monk the healing done kinda sorta really sucks. And on my feral druid and shadow priest the dps sucks so bad on them. What do I need to do to get them up?

The answer is going to be different for each of your characters, as well as different from the OP. ESPECIALLY since this thread is about looking for mogging items (stuff you want just for the appearance), which is completely different than what you're looking for.

Make your own thread with your questions, and the players here will address them as much as we can. Also we only really cover the basics in this forum, you may have to look at the more specialized class forums as well.

Please don't necro old threads, particularly to bring in a totally unrelated topic.

Check out the stickies up above for new 90's.
Boosted toons typically are not equipped for raiding. Your first step is to farm Timeless Isle for gear found in chests and dropped by rare mobs. The TI mobs are tough, but tagging them is open - meaning you can participate in someone else's fight, even if they are the opposite faction, and still receive loot.
Holy Mother of Necro! This thread is almost 1.5 years old! Please look at the dates of the last post before you post a reply. Old and dead threads are generally old and dead for a reason :)

This thread is related specifically to transmogrifying items (changing how an item looks in game), not gearing up, which is probably why you are still confused. I would advise you to ask your questions either in an entirely new thread in this forum, or create a thread in the appropriate class forums.

Monk forum: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/7379141/

Druid forum: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012663/

Priest forum: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012666/