Chaos Bolt Confusion

Warlock
1 2 3 25 Next
It’s come to our attention that a change to Chaos Bolt has been causing some confusion, and we want to clarify what’s going on with the ability.

First, some history: since its introduction, the Warlock spell Chaos Bolt hasn’t been interacting correctly with Resilience. There are two sources of Resilience:

• Base Resilience
  • Resilience from gear

Resilience from gear has been lessened with patch 5.3, and now players at level 90 have 65% base Resilience.

Prior to patch 5.3, Chaos Bolt was taking into account both base Resilience and Resilience provided by gear, but due to a bug, it was actually taking Resilience from gear into account twice. Once we reduced Resilience from gear and fixed the issue with double dipping Resilience from gear, Chaos Bolt started hitting considerably harder than intended.

We’ve since resolved this issue, so now Chaos Bolt only takes Resilience into account once (both base and gear Resilience) and we’ve reduced the damage it does against players by 25% to bring its damage into line with intended values.
91642919790:
and we’ve also applied a 25% damage reduction against players to bring its damage into line with intended values.

Yes, definitely a buff, lol.
>lox
Thanks for telling us!
So, how badly has it been nerfed? Is this post trying to say that the current wet noodle it's been hitting as since 5.4 is right?
Nice, can other spec defining talents receive a blanket 25% nerf?
It says in the post that all the resil factoring was somehow ending up in higher dmg chaos bolts than there should've been. (How? Good question) so they fixed that (one nerf), and reduced the dmg it does to other players by 25% (another nerf, big one). So Chaos Bolt got the frost bomb treatment, definitely not a buff.
91646319853:
So, how badly has it been nerfed? Is this post trying to say that the current wet noodle it's been hitting as since 5.4 is right?

It sounds more like it wasn't hitting hard enough due to a bug between Chaos Bolt and Resilience. When they fixed the bug, it ended up hitting way too hard (as it easily hits for hundreds of thousands of damage in PVE), and so they reduced it's damage against players. However, it sounds like it should now be hitting harder than it was previously when it was bugged.

Of course, I could be misunderstanding this. A flat 25% nerf after the 65% from Resilience certainly sounds pretty massive though.

Is the extra damage on Chaos Bolt from Sacrifice in the form of a DoT even necessary anymore?
91642919790:
we’ve reduced the damage it does against players by 25% to bring its damage into line with intended values.

0.35 * 0.75 = 0.2625 = 26.25% of initial output.

That seems a bit low...even for PvP.

...oh PvPP... assuming 40% -> 0.3675 = 36.75%

That actually seems fine.
91642919790:
We’ve since resolved this issue, so now Chaos Bolt only takes Resilience into account once (base Resilience) and we’ve reduced the damage it does against players by 25% to bring its damage into line with intended values.

Let me be the first to say: The mathematics of this are absolutely stupid and you should feel bad for jerking your knee so quickly.

• Right now, in full PVP gear, Chaos Bolt hits for maximum ~90k.
  • You get maximum four chaos bolts with full embers.
  • A geared player in PVP has at least 450k health.
  • How many Chaos Bolt hits are required to kill that player?
  • How many can we actually cast?

450/90 = _

(This ignores that Destruction Warlocks don't start with full embers; we start with one)

Meanwhile, Arms Warriors routinely hit for 100k and Lava Burst is getting there. Fair! Balanced! Just like Fox News, eh? I guess we're the new Ret Paladins -- "that Destro Lock hit so hard he 12-shot me!"

Do you mind explaining what the PVP goal is for Destruction Warlocks when we're the only talent specialization whose defining ability gets an unlisted 25% damage penalty to players?
Any word on if chaos bolt is or is not properly benefiting from PvP Power would be nice. There has been a lot of talk in the warlock community that it has not been, however that could just be the interaction with chaos bolt and resilience that they're seeing.
For years blizzard has been saying they don't want skills to behave differently when used on other players as compared to other mobs. That they don't want to have different values.

Just another example of Blizzard saying one thing, then doing another.
Hm...Well, I don't pvp terribly much on my warlock, but chaos bolt seems fine though I have noticed a slight drop...Maybe it's just me, but this is good to know! thanks blizz for lettin' us know. :3
91642919790:
It’s come to our attention that a change to Chaos Bolt has been causing some confusion, and we want to clarify what’s going on with the ability.

I think you just added to the confusion.

a TLDR of Buff or Nerf would probably of been sufficient.
http://v1.memecaptain.com/269b7b.jpg
Has there been a hotfix to resolve this issue, or were the patch-day values reflecting a 25% intended nerf to the ability?

While we appreciate the response, I think this post confuses the issue more than clarifies it.