Server mergers are inevitable...

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
...With the quantity of dead servers.

If you deny it, you're like those that were saying Blizz would "never allow PVE to PVP transfers" and all those "will never happen" other stories.

I'm quite sure Blizz doesn't do the mergers right now, simply because it may look bad, business-wise. But the main issue is that they opened way too many servers. Think of any name in the Warcraft universe, there's a server with that name.

So anyways, time to merge servers Blizz. Why wait for something that is inevitable?
They really should merge servers, my server Jubei'thos used to be a full server now its dead as a dodo...
I'm waiting to see what's coming the week after this sale, probably an announcement for the 5.4 ptr somewhere. And with it some feature that will affect servers. The last time they had a sale like this they implemented CRZ a month later, and didn't have to worry because they had gotten money from the players during the sales.
Funny thing to consider is the operating cost of so many servers with so few people on them.
Look at the realm status page.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/status

You will see that EVERY low pop realm is a PvP realm.
No PvE, No RPs.
Instead of merging realms, they should close most of those and let the players choose another realm to transfer to.

EDIT - BTW, every one of those low pop PvP realms are US realms.

That list is a bit deceptive, in my opinion. It lists my old realm, Sisters of Elune, as medium pop which is frankly laughable. If that's what Blizzard considers "medium" population, I truly feel for those stuck on what Blizzard defines as "low."

No PvE, No RPs.
Instead of merging realms, they should close most of those and let the players choose another realm to transfer to.

That list is a bit deceptive, in my opinion. It lists my old realm, Sisters of Elune, as medium pop which is frankly laughable. If that's what Blizzard considers "medium" population, I truly feel for those stuck on what Blizzard defines as "low."

I can vouch for this on Arathor as well. I wonder if there is a way to use auction data to get a more realistic picture? Whenever I log onto a realm I check the AH for mounts (Arathor often has either none listed or maybe a couple of JC mounts).
I get the feeling that Blizzard is continually changing their definition of "medium". I've played on numerous medium realms and they were all ghost towns. Medium = Dead. Low = Worse than dead.

edit : Didn't even realize the guy above already said exactly what I did...
When you have 50 low pop servers, maybe its time to consider a server merge.

I get the feeling that Blizzard is continually changing their definition of "medium". I've played on numerous medium realms and they were all ghost towns. Medium = Dead. Low = Worse than dead.

edit : Didn't even realize the guy above already said exactly what I did...

Agree 100%. Have 50 ppl online atm and it reads medium lol
They won't give into server merges. They will try to find a way around the problem as server merges give off a vibe of a dying game.

If they want more players they need to go F2P.
They won't give into server merges. They will try to find a way around the problem as server merges give off a vibe of a dying game.

the thing is their sub numbers are still great. Going F2P would cause them to lose more people and money than merging servers. As it stands right now, Their sub numbers will continue to drop from the low/med servers.

Going F2P would just cause an even bigger mass exodus from the game.......

No PvE, No RPs.

Yea, that's a correct observation - but Duskwood is Medium Pop on that list and trust me, it's not that peachy here looking for groups either. PUGing is still non-existent.

No PvE, No RPs.

That said, even if you low at wowcensus, it clearly shows that faction imbalance and population disparity is almost entirely a PvP server issue. An issue which stems mostly from paid transfers as players flocked to servers where they know they'd have plenty of "protection" while leveling because of the volume of same-faction players there leveling with them. I don't think it's unfair to say that solving a problem created by player migration with more player migration really doesn't make sense when you think about it.

Also, to the OP, I don't think I've ever really heard anyone say that it would "never" happen, just that it would be a terrible idea so hopefully they don't.
Hate to be apain about terms but.

Servers are pieces of electronic gear. Not sure is server is the actuall computer or just links the users to the computer.

Characters are seperated into Realms. Each Realm usually takes 4-6 servers to run. I.E. each of the original vanilla Realms used 3 servers to run. One for Eastern Kingdoms, one for Kal... and one for instances. When you take a boat or a blimp you are actually changeing servers.

In order to avoid the bad PR and problems caused by merging Realms, blizzard has created CRZ. This allows them to use one server to host characters from several Realms.

They are now working on how to merge all the AH.

They claim they are working on Cross Realm Mail but I believe they are holding off on it becasue they make some much money from those that use character transfers to move items and gold between Realms.

Eventually they will just use CRZ to merger several low pop Realms without actually merging the realms.