Skinning Without Looting, Please?

General Discussion
Can we please be allowed to skin a mob without it having to be looted first? It could function the same way Corpse Explosion did in the day, where the corpse would just become a lootable pile of flesh and bone.

I can understand the reasons for being apprehensive about allowing it for mobs killed by other players in the open world, but if it were implemented for self kills and dungeons/raids at the least, I think that would be very helpful.
How would skinning without looting be implemented for self kills? Left click the thing to loot it, right click it to skin it? Maybe a shift modifier if you just want to skin?
I don't see the benefit of this idea. If you have a problem wit "ninja" skinners, turn your AoE looting off and loot/sking one at a time. If it's just a matter of having to empty your bags of junk, be happy for the extra $.

*shrug*
06/10/2013 02:23 PMPosted by Aberzombie
I don't see the benefit of this idea. If you have a problem wit "ninja" skinners, turn your AoE looting off and loot/sking one at a time.

That would be a great solution...if it existed.
You can turn auto loot off but not AE loot off... theres no setting for that.

Upon opening the loot window you see the loot from all the corpses around you and you dont know which corpse has which item... so you can single it out to try to beat the ninja skinner but you will need to guess which mob you just unlocked fast. Not to mention that any mob without loot will also unlock at that point.

I really think some kind of "tag" should be allowed on kills to only allow skinning by the one killing the mobs for the next X seconds... lets assume you kill 5 mobs with AE and skinning takes 1.5s each, you would need at least 7.5s in a perfect world, so a "Tag" of lets say 20 to 30s wouldnt break the game.

It will allow skinners other than the person to kill the mobs to skin them anyway... after the 30s have past, since not everyone is a skinner.

Lets face it with all the feature they have to tag a mob and the loot features we've seen, this is probably easy to do for the devs.
I don't see the benefit of this idea. If you have a problem wit "ninja" skinners, turn your AoE looting off and loot/sking one at a time. If it's just a matter of having to empty your bags of junk, be happy for the extra $.

*shrug*

Actually OP sounds like he wants to BE a pseudo-ninja skinner. You see beast corpses lying around and are frustrated you can't skin them because the guy who killed them earlier didn't loot them.

From Skinners local #62:
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: PLEASE LOOT ALL KILLS. THANK YOU.

*shrug*

I think a few of you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. The suggestion isn't meant as a response to ninja skinning. It's so that a player can skin a mob without having to pick-up the loot on the corpse, but more importantly, they can skin mobs in parties/dungeons (such as LFD) without their groupmates having to loot first.

Personally, I don't think ninja-skinning is prevalent enough to really need to restrict it to only self-kills and dungeons, but I can see that being a concern for some players, so I offered that restriction to the feature as a possibility.
Yeah, this really shouldn't be a thing. Kinda just a quality of life issue for skinners that should have been fixed at launch, and is still broken how many years down the line?
If your killing for the pure sake of skins, kill one mob at a time. It's annoying, but it prevents the problem until Blizzard has a solution.
Because with all the things blizzard brakes / needs to work on...

Skinning is the big issue.

If you want to skin something in a raid, go solo old content. Not a single raid group will want to wait because some of the dps want to skin the 20 mobs that just died in the constant AOE pulls the raids have now.

If you really want to power skinning, just run over multiple red mobs somewhere so they chase u then use one of the multiple AOE abilities every single class has now. Blizzard made it so you will loot once, get all that trash, then be able to skin ur face off. Sounds to me like they already solved that issue, and your asking for silliness.
Because with all the things blizzard brakes / needs to work on...

Skinning is the big issue.

If you want to skin something in a raid, go solo old content. Not a single raid group will want to wait because some of the dps want to skin the 20 mobs that just died in the constant AOE pulls the raids have now.

If you really want to power skinning, just run over multiple red mobs somewhere so they chase u then use one of the multiple AOE abilities every single class has now. Blizzard made it so you will loot once, get all that trash, then be able to skin ur face off. Sounds to me like they already solved that issue, and your asking for silliness.

I don't understand how your suggestion has anything to do with the topic, to be honest.
when you accidentally skin off an epic item you will start crying.. :C
when you accidentally skin off an epic item you will start crying.. :C

What does that mean? The whole point of the thread is that you would be able to skin a mob, and you leave behind a corpse that still has all the loot. Just like if you use Corpse Explosion on a dead mob, it will turn into a pile of flesh and bone that is still lootable. Maybe I didn't make the OP clear enough, because too many people seem to be misinterpreting the topic.
Kill one at a time. Loot it, skin it, kill the next one. I do agree AoE loot should be toggable, that is an oversight I think on blizzard's part.

Even though I think it is a jerk thing to do, players should be able to leave a non-skinnable corpse behind. For all you know, they are skinners too and will return to loot and skin once the lurking 'vultures' move on.

If I'm not on a skinner and I see one following me, I loot everything. More power to them, leatherworking and skinning really doesn't make much gold over all. If I'm on my skinner, I'm careful of my mobs and if someone starts to poach, I fly off elsewhere. They can kill their own mobs.

Once when I was on mal'ganis for a while I was followed by a higher level rogue that kept sneaking up and sapping me as soon as I looted, then would skin and vanish away. I made sure to kill everything I could, not loot a single one and just laughed when he killed me. Meanwhile I messaged a random 90 in Org and a pack came to hunt him down. That was even more satisfying. I think that rogue learned not to poach anymore.
It's fine as it is, this isn't worth their time to even think about.

If there are vulture's, single kill.

If it's your mob, loot it...skin it.

If it's not your mob, kill your own !@#$ lazy. If someone left skinnables cool, but don't go whining because you aren't getting it handed to you.