(LFP) To take over NPCscan Series of Addons

General Discussion
Greetings folks.

Saiket who developed and maintain NPCscan and NPCscan.overlay, among other addons, has abandoned his/her addon projects.
This deeply explains the lack of updates and compatibility of these most sought after, and relied upon, addons.

Saiket, in his/her wisdom, saw fit to make the addons Open Source and the code is available.

what we need is a programmer willing to take on the enormous responsibility of updating and maintaining the NPCscan and NPCscan.overlay projects.

I am only representing these addons , as I use them, therefore I am biased towards seeing these addons continued.
Saiket also made several other addons that the source code is also available for.

If any serious parties have an interest in programming and continuing these projects, I can guarantee 3 things.
1.) You will not make a lot of money (all addons are apparently "Donation Only" by Blizzard requirements)
2.) You will burn a ton o' time and have many hours of fun/frustration
3.) you will make many many WoW player very very happy

If interested in getting started.....the source code and abandonment verification of Saiket's addons can be found at the following web pages:
http://code.google.com/p/wow-saiket/
https://sites.google.com/site/wowsaiket/

If you need any help, I , and I am sure a lot of other folks, will help as we can.

Disclaimer: I am not a representative of Saiket, his/her addons, or the NPCscann series of addons, just someone who would like to see that these highly used addons do not die.
My apologies if there is/was a better place in the forums to post this request, I could not find one that seemed appropriate.
Forum Admin; please move topic as you see fit
I just use silverdragon instead.
I also use silverdragon, but one issue remains.......when silverdragon goes off, how do you know where to look for the Rare???

Silerdragon goes off for TLPD, you are at the intsnace Ulduar......TLPD spawns at the falls.....silver dragon goes off to let you know TLPD spawn, but can not tell you what the routes are......Hence the want for NPCscan.Overlay

NPCscan.overlay greatly narrowed this down........Silverdragon does not

Also understand that Silverdragon and NPCscan worked in different ways to attack similar/same issues

NPCscan series of addons is truly worth continuing and maintaining
I also use silverdragon, but one issue remains.......when silverdragon goes off, how do you know where to look for the Rare???

Silerdragon goes off for TLPD, you are at the intsnace Ulduar......TLPD spawns at the falls.....silver dragon goes off to let you know TLPD spawn, but can not tell you what the routes are......Hence the want for NPCscan.Overlay

NPCscan.overlay greatly narrowed this down........Silverdragon does not

Also understand that Silverdragon and NPCscan worked in different ways to attack similar/same issues

NPCscan series of addons is truly worth continuing and maintaining

Yes. If you are talking about the NPC Scan overlay, it's useful for people new to camping the mobs. But seasoned campers do not need it.

Oh and also interestingly, Silverdragon can also announce the 'hit' to party, guild or whichever channel you defined. It's useful for group camping.
Wasn't it always open-source? It's a lua script.
Wasn't it always open-source? It's a lua script.

Addons must be freely viewable and unobfuscated, yes. But that doesn't mean they have to be licensed under an open source license.
WHOA! hold on folks :p

This was supposed to be a simple "Looking For Programmer(s)" cork board type post
Not to create controversy or discuss alternatives ;)

The intent is to hopefully find someone skilled to continue the software in question.

As for the licensing question: Saiket's addons are licensed under the GNU GPL v3

Carry on folks
If you use Handy Notes in conjunction with Silver Dragon, it will show markers on the zone maps where the rares' spawn points are.

It's a bit more cluttered than the NPC Overlay, but it's a good alternative if NPCScan isn't updated.
Problem I have found with this.

Handy Notes (That I love dearly) does not in anyway play nice with Carbonite.
Since I love Carbonite more.....this becomes an nonviable solution :(
Rythal (who has taken over the Carbonite project) is bending over backwards to keep the NPCscan addons compatible with Carbonite, but with out any updates to the NPCscan addons....there would be no point

As Rythal is working on making Carbonite Modular.....I would love to see Handynotes as a working module for Carbonite
We already have a taker.....many Thanks folks
I'd love to see an update to the overlay for the new expansion. Was a godsend for 5.0 rares, at least until I had them memorized. I'm not sure how much camping I'll be doing in 6.0 though with Virtual Realms. We shall see.