Best Mage PvE Spec

Mage
So, a friend of mine told me about this website "noxxic". On the website it shows how every classes dps compares to each other. It breaks it down into different ilvls. It says arcane is one of top dps for mage and overall in most cases. I have been reading around forums and a lot of people have been dissing on arcane. Which mage spec puts out most dps and is best for raiding? I really enjoy fire but i know it isn't good until you reach around 38-40% crit.
Noxxic is based on simcraft, which is unreliable when comparing across different specs. Just because someone calculated in a sim that a spec is good doesn't make it so. Sims are only as good as the programming that went into them. They are worthless if they aren't capable of predicting what actually happens in the real world.

Raidbots is better because it's real world data. But even raidbots isn't perfect. Almost all low-to-mid level raiding mages are frost spec since fire doesn't work till a large amount of crit is obtained around ilevel 520 or so. Many mid-to-high level raiders then switch to fire spec when they get the gear. Arcane is only used by a very few extreme high-geared players (ilevel 535 or so) and extreme low geared players who haven't really played much since 5.1. Because so few mages actually play arcane anymore the results in raidbots aren't representative of what a typical mage might experience when playing arcane.

Since fire spec is mostly only played by higher geared raiders, the average output of a fire mage looks good. It may look better than warlock specs that are played across a much broader spectrum of players even though at the top end the warlock specs usually outperform the mage specs.

___ Current analysis ___

FROST - top dps raid spec for low and medium geared mages. Vastly outperforms fire and arcane till ilevel 520 or so. Even after ilevel 520 a good frost mage can do very well and can beat fire and arcane mages even in BiS heroic gear. Compared to other mage specs, Frost works well on every fight and is competitive at all gear levels.

FIRE - performs very poorly till around 38% crit (which should be obtainable around ilevel 520). Below that level of crit a fire mage can be 20-40% lower dps than a frost mage. Once the required level of crit is obtained the spec becomes much more engaging and becomes competitive with frost spec. There are still fights where frost spec outperforms fire however.

ARCANE - performs very poorly until mid-heroic gear, around ilevel 535-540. You'll need 4xheroic T15 to make it work. Even then, arcane is situational and only works on some fights due to its poor cleave and extreme lack of mobility. If you try playing arcane at low gear levels expect to be doing anywhere from 30-50% lower dps than you'd be doing with frost spec. Noxxic is completely wrong about arcane... it's a garbage spec. At low and mid gear levels arcane is pretty much the worst spec in the game.
Call Arcane a garbage spec if you must, but I insist on playing Arcane because I'm having fun with it.

And I perform reasonably well in Arcane.
Mistwynd ty for detailed response, really helpful!
Call Arcane a garbage spec if you must, but I insist on playing Arcane because I'm having fun with it.

Considering you don't have to follow mechanics or really do anything other than turret on the boss, arcane could be semi decent, it's still going to get beat into the ground by a frost or even fire mage of the same gear lvl. Mystwynd pretty much gave a perfect summary of mage specs right now.
ARCANE - performs very poorly until mid-heroic gear, around ilevel 535-540. You'll need 4xheroic T15 to make it work. Even then, arcane is situational and only works on some fights due to its poor cleave and extreme lack of mobility. If you try playing arcane at low gear levels expect to be doing anywhere from 30-50% lower dps than you'd be doing with frost spec. Noxxic is completely wrong about arcane... it's a garbage spec. At low and mid gear levels arcane is pretty much the worst spec in the game.

I strongly disagree with this assessment.

I've been playing arcane for almost the entire tier and managed to act as the "DPS carry" of my group all the way through normal modes. I made the switch from frost to arcane around the 3rd week of the tier and saw an immediate DPS increase, and this was around 505 ilvl.

You absolutely do not need 4piece or heroic gear to throw around strong DPS numbers as arcane. Like any other spec, it has its strengths and weaknesses. The most obvious weakness is poor mobility, which hurts it significantly on fights like Tortos or Durumu. On the other hand, it's great at multi-dot because the mastery inflates bomb damage, so it'll easily outperform frost and lower-gear fire on fights like Council.

Technically it doesn't matter what you play in LFR as long as you stay on the spec rotation 50% of the time.
have to disagree with this list of mage spec. took my mage to training dummy checking my frost spec verse arcane spec with same gear that is not high level and my arcane out dps the frost.
03/01/2015 08:06 AMPosted by Archanist
have to disagree with this list of mage spec. took my mage to training dummy checking my frost spec verse arcane spec with same gear that is not high level and my arcane out dps the frost.

Thanks for necroing a 2 year old thread.
06/15/2013 06:57 PMPosted by Aozerra

I strongly disagree with this assessment.

I've been playing arcane for almost the entire tier and managed to act as the "DPS carry" of my group all the way through normal modes. I made the switch from frost to arcane around the 3rd week of the tier and saw an immediate DPS increase, and this was around 505 ilvl.

You absolutely do not need 4piece or heroic gear to throw around strong DPS numbers as arcane. Like any other spec, it has its strengths and weaknesses. The most obvious weakness is poor mobility, which hurts it significantly on fights like Tortos or Durumu. On the other hand, it's great at multi-dot because the mastery inflates bomb damage, so it'll easily outperform frost and lower-gear fire on fights like Council.

arcane mobility..... presence of mind, ice floes cold snap, all help with mobility
06/15/2013 04:07 PMPosted by Mistwynd
Noxxic is based on simcraft, which is unreliable when comparing across different specs. Just because someone calculated in a sim that a spec is good doesn't make it so. Sims are only as good as the programming that went into them. They are worthless if they aren't capable of predicting what actually happens in the real world.

Raidbots is better because it's real world data. But even raidbots isn't perfect. Almost all low-to-mid level raiding mages are frost spec since fire doesn't work till a large amount of crit is obtained around ilevel 520 or so. Many mid-to-high level raiders then switch to fire spec when they get the gear. Arcane is only used by a very few extreme high-geared players (ilevel 535 or so) and extreme low geared players who haven't really played much since 5.1. Because so few mages actually play arcane anymore the results in raidbots aren't representative of what a typical mage might experience when playing arcane.

Since fire spec is mostly only played by higher geared raiders, the average output of a fire mage looks good. It may look better than warlock specs that are played across a much broader spectrum of players even though at the top end the warlock specs usually outperform the mage specs.

___ Current analysis ___

FROST - top dps raid spec for low and medium geared mages. Vastly outperforms fire and arcane till ilevel 520 or so. Even after ilevel 520 a good frost mage can do very well and can beat fire and arcane mages even in BiS heroic gear. Compared to other mage specs, Frost works well on every fight and is competitive at all gear levels.

FIRE - performs very poorly till around 38% crit (which should be obtainable around ilevel 520). Below that level of crit a fire mage can be 20-40% lower dps than a frost mage. Once the required level of crit is obtained the spec becomes much more engaging and becomes competitive with frost spec. There are still fights where frost spec outperforms fire however.

target dummy test with low gear score frost vs arcane.... arcane out dps
LOL
03/01/2015 08:14 AMPosted by Archanist
06/15/2013 04:07 PMPosted by Mistwynd

___ Current analysis ___

target dummy test with low gear score frost vs arcane.... arcane out dps

Hey stupid, you're arguing with a post that was made over a year and a half ago.
What is happening right now...
10/10.

lol'd IRL. Good necro.
We might as well talk about reforging low level gear to get into fire spec early in the expansion.
03/01/2015 09:40 AMPosted by Quoi
Hey stupid, you're arguing with a post that was made over a year and a half ago.
Ssssh, don't tell him that, his posts were so entertaining.

But yeah, old MoP data from when people were still doing ToT (OP was a few months before SoO) probably isn't going to help anyone, considering the changes that have gone through.
Lol the necro!
I have played all three specs and am currently using arcane . I only have some advice when it come to which is the best spec when it comes to DPS . 1) the gear does not make the player . 2) play the spec you are most comfortable with . 3) Learn your rotations and mechanics in dungeons and raids . 4) Last , never compare yourself to someone else even if you have identical gear/talent/play style . Every situation is different . Some days you get lucky and some you don't . Most importantly have fun playing , respect others , and may your adventures bring you many epic drops .
10/07/2016 05:26 PMPosted by Angeldevil
I have played all three specs and am currently using arcane . I only have some advice when it come to which is the best spec when it comes to DPS . 1) the gear does not make the player . 2) play the spec you are most comfortable with . 3) Learn your rotations and mechanics in dungeons and raids . 4) Last , never compare yourself to someone else even if you have identical gear/talent/play style . Every situation is different . Some days you get lucky and some you don't . Most importantly have fun playing , respect others , and may your adventures bring you many epic drops .

5. Commenting on threads from 3 years ago adds 100k DPS