Hunters should have more diversity.

Hunter
I am very fond of the Warlock changes to resources to differentiate the 3 DPS specs and think it wouldn't be a bad idea to see that incorporated into the other classes.

I'd like to see hunters have perhaps a function similar to Meta for Demo locks at Beast Mastery, where Beastial Wrath is built up and managed like that. Perhaps a trap / explosive shot type of cooldown system like DK's runes for Surv..and MM could be left more or less alone.

Obviously I know it would require a lot of reworking, but always fun to speculate.
MM: petless ranger type, glass cannonish. Basically a stand and shoot type like Arc Mages/Destro locks... Maybe even give 2 of their shots a cleave component so facing 2-3 mobs the shots do equal damage to all of them or to 1.

SV: Give them another dot, take the CD off BA, buff SS and make them into the dot/multi dot spec like boomies/shadow priests/affliction locks

BM: Keep them pet centered like Demo locks, also add a ranged pet to this spec only.

This would cover all the bases, give hunters for the first time the ability to play with the cleave/multidot classes. This covers fights that dont give the pets damage buffs or pathing is horrid or any number of 100 other reasons pets suck.
Already been addressed and there are many topics about this on both this forum, the dps forum, and twitter.

Hint: few Hunters think arcane shot is the culprit, and should change at 10 into a spec-unique filler, that has a chance at stacking a debuff. BM can have Frenzy or something as an active ability, MM should basically have another bleed or apply stacks of sunder, and SV should have another nature dot, or stacks of magic-damage-taken debuff.
Although I agree with the OP, I very much doubt it will happen. Bliz has also said they think all 3 hunter specs play too similarly. But they've reworked our class so many times already that it's hard to see then going back and doing it again just to add 'flavor', as opposed to the balance issues we've suffered from ever since Arenas were introduced to WoW.

But I would still like to see more variety as well. BM is the only spec that sticks out as much different, and it still isn't by much. Would be nice to see a more archery-based MM, as well as Survival with some actual . . . survival.
Melee Melee Melee Melee!

Id also like traps to be something I can specialize in.

But yeah i'm on board the "doubt it like hell" train.

All three specs feel like marksman to me with a different colored explosion on the "special" shot.

Ohh and beast gets a see-through pet.
Pets should benefit each class uniquely. BM's pets should be stronger, with stronger abilities. SV could have passive pets, but gain access to things like web, smack as bonus attacks on shared cooldown. While MM gets improved passive buffs.

Arcane shot is a symptom, but not the problem. Steady and Cobra are basically the same thing and we all use it the same way. We all use our talent shots the same way on cooldown. We're all putting up Serpent Shot at the same time. Simply changing Arcane between the specs would not change the underlying rotation. We'd still be following the same rough rotation, only the name of our focus dump would change.

This guy BM and my Dwarf SV follow that same rotation already. We just have different flavor shots. Focus is the underlying problem because we all use it the same way. We need to find a median between say a Mage's huge mana pool/regen, and a Rogue's passive regen between combos. But do it in a way that keeps all three specs viable in all PVE fights and PVP.
Hunters used to have diversity, as did most all the classes via the 3 skill trees.

Then Blizzard started dumbing down the game, removing most all character customization and homogenizing the whole thing into a bland, boring mess.
yes, i was extremely disappointed when i came back to the game.

it made me stop playing my hunter as anything more but an alt to help friends cap their arena points.

very bland. very boring. very easy.

the holy trinity.
But they've reworked our class so many times already that it's hard to see then going back and doing it again just to add 'flavor', as opposed to the balance issues we've suffered from ever since Arenas were introduced to WoW.

Let's say you took your car to the bodyshop because you had some rust eating its way through your wheel wells.

The guy at the shop tells you that they'll fix that right up and your car will look like new.

You go to pick up your car and find that all they did was scrape the rust off, cover the area with duck tape and spray-paint it to, sorta, match the color of your car.

Would you consider that a "rework?"

Because, frankly, that's what Blizz has been doing with the Hunter class.
It wouldnt matter. The last four patches have had major hunter nerfs in them, more than buffs. Even worse, they are giving specs stuff then taking it away, etc. Its so bad im actually LIKING all the nerfing now as Ive become numb to it and pretty soon in the future we will be THE most skilled class in the game when we are left with Arcane Shot, deterrence and disengage.

Those will be our only three moves and they will cost 100 focus.
Interesting thing is...when you look at other games, they are developing their skill trees exactly the way Blizz -used- to. Rift for example not only uses the same 3 skill tree system, but it has 9 (NINE) specs to build your class from. Very interesting. I don't know if this works or not, I haven't actually played it. It allows for some very high char customization but at the same time it could be overkill. Dunno. But it sure as hell is better than this bowl of dry oatmeal Blizz is feeding us atm.
Changing Arcane Shot will not solve the problem. If you changed arcane shot, all 3 specs would still have basically the same spell, just with different visuals. This is why all 3 signature shots basically feel the same. The problem is all 3 specs are tied to focus, if we are to truly feel unique, then we are going to need an additional proc/resource system that gives each spec something unique, can be used on demand (instead of just when it procs), and act differently then other specs.

This is the same problem with rogues, tied to energy.

A couple of suggestions. Give BM fury, and use bestial wrath to spend fury (remove the cooldown on bestial wrath). Fury is generated each time the hunter or pet does damage. Starts at the fight at 20, caps at 100. Bestial wrath burns 3-4 every second and the hunter can deactivate BW after 6 seconds of use to save fury (the purpose of this is to prevent hunters from only using BW to just buff their Kill Command and then turn it off right after it). The cc break affect on BW, however, would still need a cooldown.

Give MM hunters steadiness. Make it start at 100 and everytime the hunter uses aimed shot, it spends 20 steadiness. Make aimed shot's damage based on how much steadiness the hunter has. At 100 steadiness, aimed shot does 200% of it's damage. Around 60 steadiness, aimed shot does 150% of it's damage. At 20 steadiness, aimed shot does 100% of it's damage. Steadiness generates steadily over time, maybe 1 or 2 per a second. This gives MM hunters the ability to do consistant damage by just using aimed at 100 steadiness or using all their steadiness to burst with trinket procs or raid cooldowns. Side note: aimed shot procs would not be based on steadiness, just hard casted ones (or just remove aimed shot procs)

I haven't thought of anything possible for survival yet. Survival is harder because their ability is black arrow and I can't think of anything tied to black arrow that would be unique compared to the other 2. Maybe remove all "procs" for the other 2 specs and make survival the proc based spec kind of like what black arrow currently does. These are just a couple of suggestions.
Agreed. Hunter specs need more diversity, but not sure I am on board with a secondary resource.

Honestly though, before any of that, Blizzard needs to take a step back and really figure out how they want hunters to function, decide on our niche, then trim out toolkit accordingly.

In my opinion, our wide range of abilities is our biggest "achilles heal". We can do almost anything in the game, either directly or through our pet abilities. We are truly the jack of all trades, masters of none. The best example ooff the top of my head...
- "Hunters have no raid utility."
- "Yes you do. You can provide any buff."

Anyway, back on topic... My wish list...(much of which has already been said)

I really wish they hadn't removed Stings. Might have been cool to have a different sting for each spec.

MM to be a petless. Higher damage at the expense of less mobility. Maybe Glaive Toss replaces Arcane Shot.

BM melee / short range. Pets get back talents. BMs get to choose 1 extra "exotic" ability.

SV stealth, DoT based with enhanced traps and maybe a unique trap of its own. Always thought Camo should have been SV only or at least do more.
Anyway, back on topic... My wish list...(much of which has already been said)

I really wish they hadn't removed Stings. Might have been cool to have a different sting for each spec.

MM to be a petless. Higher damage at the expense of less mobility. Maybe Glaive Toss replaces Arcane Shot.

BM melee / short range. Pets get back talents. BMs get to choose 1 extra "exotic" ability.

SV stealth, DoT based with enhanced traps and maybe a unique trap of its own. Always thought Camo should have been SV only or at least do more.

While i may not agree with some specifics this is the kind of diversity id like to see. Some people seem to be missing the forest for the trees and are asking for buffs for the class which has NOTHING to do with how each spec feels the same.

I haven't thought of anything possible for survival yet. Survival is harder because their ability is black arrow and I can't think of anything tied to black arrow

Well black arrow was added in what? wrath? and it never really fit the survivalist theme. Its an attack from dark rangers from WC3 but with any of its previous flavor basically neutered(it does not raise skeletons). As is its just another sting(with a bunch of crap tied to it) without any hunter flavor at all.

My wish list includes:

Returning to mana and int based mana pools(keep focus for pets).

At least one melee spec. Survival is the obvious choice if you look at past talents, but i see beast as just as reasonable.(though if hybrid specs ever made a comeback....)

Give marksman a petless OPTION. After this many years i would not want to see people who like the base spec have to say goodbye to their long time friends.

Give survival back its traps niche (would require CC to be pointful in PvE though) either through unique traps or improved traps(both?).
I honestly think BM should have very very limited attack options, and have more Kill Command type of abilities that utilize their pet (or pets maybe!)
Give hunters Chaos Bolt.
Give hunters Chaos Bolt.

Make Chimera hit like Chaos Bolt. Good idea!
Give hunters Chaos Bolt.

What's with the grudge against hunters bro? You are the only non hunter in these forums and all you do is ask for hunters to be nerfed. Is your life really that bad? I want you to take that in to consideration.