Frost Mage Master 5.4 Not A Nerf

Mage
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
I'm still waiting. Even though this supposedly won't hurt pve (raid bosses anyway), they've done nothing to address scaling issues besides saying they 'won't make any buffs unless dmg is off by 5-10% in a single tier. In this tier it's almost bound to happen since the only place to move stats will be Mastery, and it's next to useless.
Are you all just going to ignore the fact that this affects the water elemental too?

He kinda adds to your dps as well mind you all...
06/21/2013 09:14 AMPosted by Suihaku
Are you all just going to ignore the fact that this affects the water elemental too?

The current mastery already affects the water elemental, and by the same amount.
Ah, well, that's not impossible. But unfortunately, it probably won't come where we lost it. E.g., they probably can't buff the bombs for PvE unless they first revert the buff they just gave them for PvP. Silvermage mentioned the removal of Frostbolt stacking, and I do think that's plausible.

why is it allways nerfs with you people? are you aware that frost mages are the lowest dps output in 10 man heoric??? *out of the 3 of course but 4th worse is still pretty bad for a pure dps class* are you aware that we are at our limit with dps out put and the only thing that will really scale with us is haste and mastery

and if i didnt make it clear haste and MASTERY nerfing us is a continuing fad this expansion what else can you steal from us mages?
they've done nothing to address scaling issues besides saying they 'won't make any buffs unless dmg is off by 5-10% in a single tier. In this tier it's almost bound to happen since the only place to move stats will be Mastery, and it's next to useless.

Mage
Fire 265,000.0 100.0% 265,483.5 58,355.4 151,555 457,442 1,300 5.28%

Mage
Frost 188,689.0 71.2% 195,662.6 42,317.2 26,697 321,852 925 3.76%

source=http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10H/100/14/60/default/

since we know blizzard only cares for heoric style hince the fire nerf prior to 5.2 i say GET TO WORK BLIZZARD chop chop no more letting a clown make your decisions for you
IT's not just Frost raiding, it is pvp also. Even though they are PvP buffing our bombs, it wont change the fact that our un- FoF IL wont do the same damage, same for Frozen orbs and Frostbolt.

the 10% increase to Frost bomb is actually a 12.5% buff.
the 15% on NT and LB will be an actual 17,64% buff.

In no way will it compensate for the 35% lost...

To compensate, we need a buff at the mechanic of lvl 75 bombs.

Also, keep in mind if you buff lvl 75 bombs, it also buff other speccs.
yea... looks like Fire is the way to go.

Can I have your stuff?

Can you have some originality?

Because threatening to quit is original?
I think you are misunderstanding the change to mastery. The mastery bonus to ice lance, instant FFB, and water elemental will be 2% HIGHER than it currently is. However no other spells besides these will benefit from mastery.

Also - mastery DOES affect damage vs. raid bosses now. Fingers of frost and brain freeze make ice lance and frostfire bolt act as if the target were frozen. Yes you can't freeze raid bosses. Yes the spells can benefit from mastery as if they were frozen.
06/21/2013 01:17 PMPosted by Angband
I think you are misunderstanding the change to mastery. The mastery bonus to ice lance, instant FFB, and water elemental will be 2% HIGHER than it currently is. However no other spells besides these will benefit from mastery.

I'm afraid you're misunderstanding. The Mastery bonus is still 2% per point; it's not an addition. It just no longer affects anything but Waterbolt, BF-FFB, and FOF-IL.
At least the locks are sitting happy since their nerf got reverted.
I misunderstand nothing. Right now frost mages have a base mastery bonus of 16%. As of 5.4 it will be 18%. If your mastery is now 30% it will be 30*(18/16)=33.75% after 5.4.

However, this mastery will only apply to ice lance, instant FFB, and WE damage. Fingers of frost and brainfreeze procs will enjoy the increase to mastery. Frost bolts against frozen targets will not. Freezing a bunch of mobs and casting blizz on them will not get the bonus.

After 5.4, as now, you will still get the mastery bonus against raid bosses for brainfreeze and fingers of frost procs.

We clear now?
No. As of 5.4, it will still be 16% (2% per point for 8 points of base mastery). It will increase at the same rate of 2% per point of Mastery that it does now.

The 2% you see listed in the patch notes is the conversion rate: 2% per point. That's the same conversion rate as we have now.
Many people have been confused by this (some had the impression it was being reduced to a base of 2%), and it's partly because the character sheet no longer shows Mastery points, so people are no longer aware that there's a conversion rate. 600 Mastery Rating gives you one point of Mastery, regardless of spec. There's then a spec-specific conversion of one point of Mastery to X% of your specific bonus.

In the case of Frost, this conversion rate is 1 Mastery = 2%, and that's the value being displayed (confusingly) in the patch notes.
ya that 16% then 2% a day layer confused me. Like lol 14% moar nerfage
06/21/2013 02:29 PMPosted by Angband
I misunderstand nothing. Right now frost mages have a base mastery bonus of 16%. As of 5.4 it will be 18%.

This reading of the notes does not hold up given the datamined tooltips, and moreover it misses that the "additional 2%" phrasing is attached to Fingers of Frost, but not Brain Freeze.

In other words: it isn't saying that the bonus from Mastery is getting an additional 2%. It's saying that Mastery provides a 2% (per point) bonus, separate from FoF's own 25% bonus.
I'm going to go ahead and say that If it's a pvp nerf. It's needed. I've globaled people in a stun with orb bomb and lances. It's stupid currently.
I'm going to go ahead and say that If it's a pvp nerf. It's needed. I've globaled people in a stun with orb bomb and lances. It's stupid currently.

You've globalled undergeared noobs who don't know how to play. There's nothing OP about mages that other classes can't do and have better survival to boot.