Shadow Sermons!

Moon Guard
Sermon #11 Discussions pt.2

Silaine:
I personally subscribe to the theory that there is a meaning to existence, that there is a meaning to a lot of things, but we simply cannot understand that meaning. In a way I feel as though we are all in a dark cave, watching shadows on the wall and percieving what we can from them but never truly understanding them.
I have made it my purpose in life to interpret those shadows as best I can, to make sense of this world around me.

Shadowlust:
Do the shadows provide guidance on their own, or is it up to those observing to shape them, priestess?
I have often become curious if we exist because of them. Or if they exist because of us.

Silaine:
We cannot pretend to know the answers- as I said, I simply interpret them and I suppose others, in this analogy, do as well. Does that mean that we provide our own meanings to these things? Most certainly, but in defense I do not believe it is always done on purpose.
As for the second question.. I would like to believe that the shadows are being cast by something unaware to us. Therefore, I would hope we came second to them.

Thandys:
I was just about to propose a thought for those here. The shadows, perhaps they watch us move along whatever path we take, and us watch them slither in the darkness to form silhouettes with their various shapes and sizes.
Sometimes mimicking other things as well as ourselves.. Or possibly mocking? And then there is that, a third person view.. something else yet that observes from what we may be unaware of whatever existence it is? And then beyond that? What observes the observer? And infinite loop that maybe, in some way, connects everything in different spaces and times?

Silaine:
Yes, exactly. The possibility of the infinite. That for something to exist in this way something else must would have created it.

Shadowlust:
I have a thought, and concept I have often pondered. Is ones soul, ones essence, is it finite? Is ones soul incapable of being truly divided? Is ones soul unchangeable or fluid?
I ask these questions due to observations I have made of this world we have. The abominations, creations of the Scourge and later by we the Forsaken, amalgams of the soul and body. These creatures once had individual minds, souls, and bodies but now they function of one mind, one being.. but do they of one soul?

*holds up shard*

This shard contains the trapped essence of a fallen foe. Before being vanquished he had a will, a mind, a body, a soul. Now all that I can perceive of his being exists within this shard, his body now nothing but ash.

Does the fallen foe still exist? Is his soul cognitive of the events that continue to transpire? Or have I snuffed him from existence now and forever?

..Or is he simply a memory now, and will continue to exist as such until truly and finally forgotten?
Bumping because I wish I came to the forums more and found this thread omg

I needs me muh shadow religions
Bumping because I wish I came to the forums more and found this thread omg

I needs me muh shadow religions

Thanks. :)
We have an OOC shadow channel running right now called /ShadowCult. Feel free to join it and make some RP connections so you can have a lot more shadowy RP lol
We have an OOC shadow channel running right now called /ShadowCult. Feel free to join it and make some RP connections so you can have a lot more shadowy RP lol

omg
I'm all over dat.
As some already know I had to take an extended break from WoW due to the demands of University and real life. I'm not quite 'back' yet but I wanted to write something while I could. For old times sake.

Please enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shadow Sermon Twelve
Free Will

It has been a fair amount of time since I spoke in a gathering, but nevertheless my mind has been pouring over thoughts of faith. Today I wish to speak to you, perhaps for the final time, of the matter of Free Will. If you remember my prior lectures then you may recall Free Will as the pivotal key in which the doctrine of this faith circles. Free Will essentially grants us with the responsibility of choice and consequence, it allows us to shape ourselves and our lives in the image we see fit.

And while I want nothing more than to simply claim that Free Will is an innate trait within all of us the seed of doubt has been growing within my mind. I couldn’t help but wonder-- What does it mean for my faith if Free Will is non existent? Such a question can, understandably, shake a person's resolve. As such I have devoted my time to the question, pondering the nature of ‘us’ and coming closer to a conclusion on the matter of Free Will. Such findings, I feel, are better mused aloud for others to interpret and improve. After all, if these lectures have taught me anything it is that I am certainly fallible.

-The priest allows for a break in speech to clear her brittle throat and project her voice-

I found when I began my study of Free Will that it opened many doors, each with its own set of questions that must be answered before I could understand the matter of Free Will. The first door I encountered begged me to find a separation, if any, between man and beast. Was Free Will innate to all living things or was it selective? The second question that appeared was that of a moral responsibility, one such topic that I will address in full later on. For now, let us examine the ‘man’ and the ‘beast’. After all, if we are to understand Free Will, first we must understand ourselves.

Free Will could be said to simply be the power to choose to take action or remain idle. With this in mind I headed to the woods and observed the local wildlife. Surely, if Free Will is simply the act of desire than beasts must possess it. However I found myself stumbling-- These beasts had no other purpose or understanding of why they acted, they did not and could not reflect on themselves; past, present or future. The possible consequences of their actions meant naught.They acted from a single mind of desire and although they chose to act, it was an act without purpose to the self. This consideration drove me to the realization that my former limited definition of Free Will was not sufficient in the depth that I required to examine it.

As I pondered further I found myself opening another door to a question; if Free Will is not only desire based what else can we say it stems from? This brought me to the possibility of moral responsibility. To explain, moral responsibility is the consideration of the response from the action. We, as a worldly community, tend to praise actions we deem as ‘good’ and shame actions we consider ‘bad’. We regard each other based on the actions committed or left undone.

As I sat on this thought I was reminded of the beasts in the woods, they hold no moral responsibility. They lack the quality of a contemplative mind, it is unsure if they are truly even aware of themselves let alone others. To be regarded as one with moral responsibility one must possess the mind to process the reasons behind an action, the conditions the action is taken under, and the possible consequences of said action. That is where I found the separation between ‘man’ and ‘beast. In the difference between freedom of action and Free Will.

-c-
Sermon #12 Continued

Allow me the use of another example, there is food sitting upon the table. Your first thought is that you ought to take the food and eat it, however you pause as you realize you may not want to eat the food. You realize that the consequences of eating the food, who you know not who it belongs, could far outweigh the benefits of pursuing your first desire. Now we become closer to understanding Free Will. If your first desire, what I will consider your ‘animal desire’, is your freedom of action than your second desire, the Free Will, is the desire you most identify with.

It is only when your Will is free that you are able to make action— meaning you have the choice to act upon your first desire but only if you feel it reflects positively on your Will. When bundled with the theory of moral responsibility Free Will becomes a tool constructed against a backdrop of possibility; in which outside forces, such as historical context, not only influence your Free Will but in part exist dependently within each other in a constant state of change. This implies that actions you choose to commit or omit have future consequences that possibly stretch generations after your passing.

Allow me but mere minutes more of your time, as I have discussed much of outside sources contributing to Free Will and now would like to discuss the origin of Free Will, as I perceive it. I do not deny that Free Will has historical contexts influencing its practice today, however I believe it is imperative to say that the origin of the will exists within ones own being and only they may choose action or idle nature. There is outside pressure applied to Free Will but the Will, as I said, exists solely in the individual.

In all this, I find that I am satisfied. As the doctrine of the Shadow reads, we are condemned by our freedom, as the responsibility for ourselves and our lives rest solely on our individual minds

-fini-