Please amend the account name change policy.

General Discussion
The issue I have with the policy is very personal to me. I am a transgender woman and live my life with the name I chose that reflects my personal identity. This is not however the name that might appear on my government issued identification. When I created my Blizzard account, and this was back when they were still Battle.net accounts, I entered my legal name because I was going to register my games to this account and I wanted to be sure I could get them back if I forgot my password or had my account stolen. I was assured this name would be used for such purposes only, and at that point in my life I was more comfortable with it than I am now. This is no-longer the case.

You cannot legally go by another name, other than what the government has. You cannot tell the cops you're Cindy, when your documents say you're John. Either get your documents fixed to reflect what you want (which isn't all that hard) or suck it up.
Legal name is legal name...

^ this.

Poison, you might have to just bite the bullet and pay to get your legal name legally changed to your transgender name before Blizzard can actually do anything. I'm sure they have their own policies- both internal and governmental- they have to go by.

Without the legal documentation, there's really nothing Bliz can do. If they make an exception for one person, they have to do it for everyone. And considering Blizzard is trying it's best to protect people's accounts from getting stolen....
This thread is now, unintentionally, about fish, which is what "Poisson" translates to in French.

Mais oui!
Regards to the two posts above:
1. I'm serious here, anyone from Blizzard can see my support history. A friend taught me how to get my name changed for free and I did so today, and Blizzard changed my account information at once.

Congratulations! I'm so glad it worked out. :)
Give me a break.
Blizzard requires that accounts be registered in the account holder's legal name for legal and security reasons. That requirement applies to everyone, no matter how special they think their circumstances are, is not discrimination. The ToU and EULA are legally binding agreements; try opening a bank account, getting a credit card or buying a house with the name you go by rather than your legal name, you can't. Because you can't enter into a contract using a phony name.

You're not required to use RealID at all, it's a completely optional service. Blizzard provides and also provide BattleTags alternate for that doesn't disclose your legal name. You're not forced to accept RealID requests, you're completely free to decline them and tell your "friends" you prefer to use BattleTag. RealID = people you know well enough you're willing to share your legal name, BattleTag is for those you don't.

What it boils down to is that you want special treatment. You want a legal name change but choose not to prioritize it. Why should Blizzard give you something that you don't care enough about to do for yourself. People who really want something and can't afford it make changes to their spending habits so they can save up, instead you've made the choice to spend $250 playing WoW for the last year or more.

And I'm OK with Blizzard applying their policies across the board, fairly to every customer.

ETA: Yes, you can call yourself anything you want, you can't enter into a legal agreement using a phony name, it's fraud. I see claim to have managed to scam Blizzard for a name change. Good luck recovering your account if it's ever hacked.
06/28/2013 03:08 PMPosted by Poisson
1. I'm serious here, anyone from Blizzard can see my support history. A friend taught me how to get my name changed for free and I did so today, and Blizzard changed my account information at once.

I'm just curious, is that a full legal name change?
06/25/2013 10:08 AMPosted by Poisson
The issue I have with the policy is very personal to me. I am a transgender woman and live my life with the name I chose that reflects my personal identity.

Oh here we go.
Wanna change you legal name on B-net, then change your legal name. Till then deal with it.

EDIT: Just read the rest of the thread. Congrats on the name change.

I'm just curious, is that a full legal name change?

Absolutely. It is valid for all purposes. I need to change my identification but I won't get to it today so it'll have to be next week, technically it's legal without the paperwork but I did need some way to prove it to Blizzard (and say the dept of licensing).

Interesting. I'm glad it all worked out for you.
when i started reading this i knew the answer: battle tag. youre welcome
Simply create and start using your battletag should address all your concerns. I can't think of a situation in game where you have to reveal your full name as listed on your account ownership. Besides, if you were to ever reveal that info to someone it ought to be to a close real life friend you trust where your gender/gender identification isn't an issue...
I fail to see a reason why, if everything is handled properly, you can't change the name on the account. If Blizzard won't let you change it even though you can prove you're the owner of the account, that's rather ridiculous. You may have said so, but have you tried emailing them and specifically identifying the issue?

Getting a name change in real life would also probably help a lot. It may be a lot of money for some, but if it's seriously an issue for you then you should try saving for it.
Guys I think her predicament was solved. Somehow.

That has to be the single most insensitive, offensive, and downright wrong piece of misinformation I've ever read.

And I'm your majority white nuclear family dad, saying that.

What about that is offensive? It happens to be accurate.

If you want to see what conditions are like for transgender people in general, google the report "injustice at every turn."