5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items?

General Discussion
Prev 1 217 218 219 226 Next
It's the Celestial Steed all over again isn't it?
How did wanting them to cost less turn into me telling other people how to play the game?

Look, I just think they're too damned expensive. Stop inferring that I'm telling people not to buy from the store ever again. You're just jumping to conclusions.
Hey - just the other day I went and bought a $35 hardcover book that I could have purchased as an e-reader version for $4.

What the hell is wrong with me, supporting a publisher like that??

Guess I'm not enough of a class warrior to know how to spend my entertainment money properly.
So wait...you had an OPTION to buy a cheaper one and you chose to buy the more expensive one?

AWESOME!

Yea. We don't have that option here.

It's more like you either buy the $35 hardcover or nothing.

So looks like it's nothing.
The guinea pigs over in Asia get to try all the cool and/or deadly Blizzard marketing items before us.

qq

This whole argument is about nothing. That's why it's so fascinating.

People are actually pooping their pantaloons over the notion that some vanity items will be available for purchase through a cash store while not also being available as "free" obtainable drops in-game.

As if the things being bought through the cash store were things that affected game play.

But only the XP buff (so far) conceivably offers an in-game advantage, exceot that it really doesn't when we consider that it's being offered in a game that already has power leveling.

Which makes the XP buff just another vanity item, when you get right down to it.

I'm amazed and agog at all this.
Okay. I'll say it again.

I personally believe that these hats are too expensive. I think a more reasonable price is $5 for a single piece of armor.

Yes. It would be nice if the hats were BOE but that won't happen.

Seeing as this is likely to be the price of this sort of thing moving forward I feel the need to speak my mind.

Continue being amazed and agog with yourself.
Need I remind you that there are 8 million people still paying for this game?

Yeah, WoW still has many players. We have 8 million subscribers. But, it is not likely all 8 million play everyday. People play as often as they can. However, there are 500,000 million gamers playing f2p games EVERYDAY. And they are giving billions of dollars to these companies. Old-time gamers need to adapt or its game over for them. Blizzard and EVERY OTHER GAME company are focusing on enticing this newer generation player. They want and need that micro-transaction money.

A game will only go F2P when it knows for a fact, that a sub model is no longer viable in order for them to still turn a profit..

No, sorry, but almost all f2p games, start out as f2p games.

07/18/2013 02:06 PMPosted by Jujubiju
As I said, when SWToR went F2P- people didn't suddenly start flocking it.

Memory Lane: Developers of SWToR spent well over $100 million dollars developing and promoting their game. A great game btw. For quite a while both pre- and post- launch there were many who considered it a WoW killer. It was touted as a game that was going to bring back the true tradition of group dynamics, challenging play, a feel like the community of olde tyme mmo's, the challenges, the long grinds, and long hours of exciting game play, much per-determined and planned out game mechanics, achievement and progression only through "skilled play". SWToR was going to give us what we so longed for and bring back the glory days of MMOs.

Fast Forward to 2013: The past few months (at least) tons of complaints about players not wanting to use the conventional tank pulls, healer heal and dps dpses. Players are facerolling through dungeons making huge pulls to xp as fast as possible. (I don't want to discuss this here, it's beyond the scope of this thread, I am just using it as an example to make a point.)

What does Memory Lane and Fast Forward to 2013 have in common? Because the 500 million contemporary gamers: Could not care less about traditional group dynamics. Most aren't even aware that there is a tradition of group mechanics. They want challenges that are fun but not so challenging that the fun is dead. Or, they want challenges that micro-transactions will help them over come. They got a community, they don't want or even care about ours. Their community is Facebook and Instagram. They don't want long grinds. They don't even want short grinds. They want to have fun. When olde-tyme gamers tell them that they are not 'skilled', well, they don't care. Because they are getting what they want and need out of the games they play. And they think people like that are being snotty (sadly enough, sometimes they are right). So they laugh and cause a group wipe by pulling too many mobs.

If a video game is going to survive and thrive, they have to appeal to the new gamer. WoW has no choice. There are to few of us and too many of them. Blizzard has to change and adapt or they will fail. The good news is, that WoW is in a great position to court these millions of people. We can get through most dungeons now in 10 minutes. Which is really good news to the new gamer because during the last boss fight, they just found out that someone "dis'd" them on Facebook and they just gotta deal with that. Or some other diversion. What EVA!
I personally believe that these hats are too expensive. I think a more reasonable price is $5 for a single piece of armor.

Seeing as this is likely to be the price of this sort of thing moving forward I feel the need to speak my mind.

Again, the hats should be $25 each. Maybe $35.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go stare in the mirror and be utterly fascinated by the handsome man that appears there.

Not for too long, though. After a while he starts . . . saying things.

TMI?
Thank you for letting me know my personal opinion is wrong. You're an internet champion.

Again, the hats should be $25 each. Maybe $35.

Why? They cost nothing to generate after the initial design cost. Obviously they calculated that more people would buy these Team Fortress 2 hats than if the price had been higher. 10 people paying $15 is better than 3 paying $25.

Why are you hiding behind an alt, anyway?
hank you for letting me know my personal opinion is wrong. You're an internet champion.

What do you think all of your posts have been in this thread?

Being passive-aggressive is not the same as being neutral.
Why are you hiding behind an alt, anyway?

This is my main. All I do right now is remote AH these days.

And even then - I have to admit that all the complainers are starting to convince me that the game sucks so badly that there's no point even doing that.

In fact - know what?

!@#$ it.

The naysayers have won.

I concede.

I am hereby convinced that the game is broken beyond repair.

EDIT: . . . aaaaand sub is canceled.

Everyone who doesn't like where the game is headed needs to follow my example.

Quit. Quit now.
What does Memory Lane and Fast Forward to 2013 have in common? Because the 500 million contemporary gamers: Could not care less about traditional group dynamics. Most aren't even aware that there is a tradition of group mechanics. They want challenges that are fun but not so challenging that the fun is dead. Or, they want challenges that micro-transactions will help them over come. They got a community, they don't want or even care about ours. Their community is Facebook and Instagram. They don't want long grinds. They don't even want short grinds. They want to have fun. When olde-tyme gamers tell them that they are not 'skilled', well, they don't care. Because they are getting what they want and need out of the games they play. And they think people like that are being snotty (sadly enough, sometimes they are right). So they laugh and cause a group wipe by pulling too many mobs.

If WoW's goal is to survive and thrive by catering to these groups, why not just cut the cord already? Stop operating under the pretense of being an MMORPG? Change the model of the game completely!

It's because they know they can get away with both if enough people roll over for it. This is exactly what I'm talking about re: WoW having fallen so far from its roots. Now, in order to better cater to those who don't care about the community - those young gamers whose only idea of such a thing is developed from consoles and FPS's as a forum for their racist, homophobic poison, those gamers whose shift to WoW wasn't because it was beautiful, had a great story, or had the support of a wonderful group of like-minded adventurers seeking to cast off into an online fantasy realm - in order to better cater to them it installs an in-game cash shop. It starts incorporating F2P mechanics that are designed to do nothing more than trip a switch in people's brains to say, "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead...to the wallet!" Because if the new players don't care about community, and Blizzard doesn't care about community, then who the hell should?! They were successful enough without the in game cash shop, but they felt like they needed a faster way to lighten consumer's wallets. It's a cheap, underhanded way to make an extra buck, and it's beneath them. At least, I thought that it was beneath them...but they did it anyway.

Instead of sticking to their guns and saying, "Yes, we are a big company, but we are a principled big company. We started this game as an MMORPG and we intend to keep it that way. The world we worked hard to craft in the Warcraft series of RTS games is important. Community is important. It's what drives us, and our success. We don't want to compromise that community for our own benefit. We don't want to risk losing the trust our consumers have placed in us. We think people are more important than money, because the community is the reason for our success.", we're seeing the exact opposite. That was their mission when they first started this game, and they've all but abandoned it now because they want to conform to the times, when in fact they don't have to. They just want more more more of your money money money.
Yours is not a "definition" of paying for a game in order to play it. Paying for vanity items is not the same as necessary content to play.

None of the items in the cash shop are necessary. If I choose to not buy anything from the cash shop my gaming experience has not changed, I am still playing the same game I was before the cash shop existed.

You're setting up a strawman to knock down. Obviously, I didn't say buying vanity items changed play. I said it's spending money that isn't need to play the game, hence it is for many a waste of money. I've done it once with the Armored Bloodwing, not for vanity but because I was so bored with my other flying mounts. (And if it were for vanity/e-peen, well it didn't last long. Less than a week after release I saw dozens of people on my realm with the bat mount.) But I'd never do that again.

Same reason I ran Uld25 for the proto a few weeks ago. I just wanted a different type of drake than what I had, and had never seen the inside of Ulduar on a raid and thought I should. Same for Culling of Stratholme, grinding Tol Barad, Molten Front, and Argent Tournament dailies, guild rep grind, etc., etc.

If I wanted what I'd call a "vanity/e-peen" mount, I'd shell $150.+ on ePrey for what is appropriate for warlocks - the Feldrake and/or Blazing Hippogryph.

Point is: all of this stuff should be available from playing the game to get them, not having to shell out cash.
I really hope they do add something like this and let it stack up to 5 times(only usable within certain levels or after one toon is already capped).

I HATE HATE HATE questing in Panderia. It was agonizing the first time... and I'm supposed to drag 10 alts through that? Give me a freaking break man. It wasn't hard it was just absolute drudgery!
HAHA, 15 dollars for these helms? TERA doesn't even charge $10 for a costume that at least look like they took slightly longer to design on top of the game not even charging a sub.
07/18/2013 02:31 PMPosted by Tantrevalles
A product for entertainment or a pasttime such as WoW is of course "pixels" because it's done on a computer screen. But adding things that are merely for vanity or e-peen purposes is not needed for the product to function.

You're trying to split a hair. You're failing.

People are buying those helmets because it increases their sense of entertainment.

People solo old raids - kill hundreds of hours doing it - for e-peen and vain reasons.

Frankly, buying things through a cash store is saner by comparison.

It's not splitting hairs to note the difference between playing the game for xmog items or mounts, etc., and having to purchase with real money similar items that can't be acquired by playing. If you don't see that, then I'd say you're failing.

I'm all for xmog and cool or different mounts. Personally, I got tired of seeing my toon day after day with basically the same look after you've reached an ilvl. I think we've needed other mounts added for some time, example: getting the same Vicious War Steed for all 3 achievements of Veteran of the Alliance. Blizz could have at least done a recolor for the last 2.

But requiring payment for any of that outside of the sub cost is simply greed.
YES

FINALLY LEVELING IS BROUGHT TO PAR!!
So wait...you had an OPTION to buy a cheaper one and you chose to buy the more expensive one?

AWESOME!

Yea. We don't have that option here.

It's more like you either buy the $35 hardcover or nothing.

That "nothing" thing you're talking about..... Yeah, That's an OPTION.

Try again.