5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items?

General Discussion
Prev 1 218 219 220 226 Next
So wait...you had an OPTION to buy a cheaper one and you chose to buy the more expensive one?

AWESOME!

Yea. We don't have that option here.

It's more like you either buy the $35 hardcover or nothing.

So looks like it's nothing.

That "nothing" thing you're talking about..... Yeah, That's an OPTION.

Try again.

Maybe you should read the other part of that conversation.
"Gamers who adapt to being nickle-and-dimed will be better off!"

Just like we're better off now that a whole generation is growing up with DLC?

"Psh...companies exist to make money and we should be good with that!"

Just like we're okay with that when gas prices go up? When the CoL goes up? When wages stagnate?

"What's best for business IS best for the consumer!"

Which is why entire reams of laws had to be created during the S&L scandals of the '80s, or the usurious credit fees, or the opt-out marketing plans magazines tried, or the high-pressure bait-and-switch tactics of old retail stores, or the fly-by-night companies hawking generic poiso...I mean...medicines?

These arguments don't exist in a vacuum.

"What's best for business IS best for the consumer!"

Except what's best for business is not necessarily best for the consumer, which really is the workers who make up the consumer base. Corporations, and the politicians that are owned by them, have used that lie for several years now to scare people into thinking that if corps are held to account for anything, it'll kill jobs. Well jobs have been wiped out or taken overseas anyway, while corps have been raking in record profits. What we got was too much supply and little demand (due to high unemployment, under-employment/low wages) here to keep the charade going much longer.

Typical take-over scheme a la Vivendi's ilk: Buy successful company. Gut it for profit to an empty husk. Move on to next company.
Posted by JujubijuAs I said, when SWToR went F2P- people didn't suddenly start flocking it.

Actually people did flock to it, they had topen more and more servers, the game is great, to start. They spent all this time developing this fantastic game with wonderful voice acting, graphics, gear etc. Sadly there was no end game nothing to do once you hit , people started quitting then. Now that it's gone pay or suck people have not flocked back to the game.
Just because f2p has become the norm does not mean it's the best.
Rift has potions for increased honor for sale as well as reputation gains. Rift also puts up items like regular mounts, and crafting items, and I can't remember what else for their in game currency.
Swtor limits the content the amount of bgs and instances you can run in their pay or lose model.
These games don't require you to put your credit card in on the ingame store but they let you buy an in game currency in Swtor it's cartel coins Rift has another currency so it's not showing the items in actual dollars in the in game store
These games don't require you to put your credit card in on the ingame store but they let you buy an in game currency in Swtor it's cartel coins Rift has another currency so it's not showing the items in actual dollars in the in game store

And that's where that model bites you in the proverbial butt.

From the way I'm looking at it on their site, in order to gain the extra "perks" and cartel coins, you have to subscribe. Otherwise the game is free.

Technically, you're still paying money to access content. (At least, this is what I understand about that model).

But this isn't a F2P/P2W debate thread, and we really should get back on topic:

The major questions of this thread are this:

Since this is a pay to play game:

"Do we- as a player base- think that Blizzard should be putting up things like XP boosts/lesser charms in a cash shop?"

"Do we- as a player base- find it acceptable that instead of putting up the occasional mount/pet on the store it's becoming more of a common thing?"

"Is $15 for a transmog item considered entirely too much for one item?"

Those are the questions of this thread. We've kind of deviated from those questions.

Those are the questions of this thread. We've kind of deviated from those questions.

you left out:

Which segment of the player base should Blizzard listen to?

The major questions of this thread are this:

Since this is a pay to play game:

"Do we- as a player base- think that Blizzard should be putting up things like XP boosts/lesser charms in a cash shop?"

"Do we- as a player base- find it acceptable that instead of putting up the occasional mount/pet on the store it's becoming more of a common thing?"

I'd like to take a crack at this.

Personally, I don't really care what approach they choose for this. Lesser charms rain down like gravity and xp is... why is xp even a problem to people at this stage of the game? There are so many options for xp buffs that exist already, that a paid item really isn't something significant.

One can argue about the long-term consequences, such as eventual acceptance to throw more and more in-game found goods into the store. I agree that can be a legit concern, and probably not one that most would appreciate to see happen to this game. We have to remember though, that they're catering to many different cultures and players. Even if we would rather not see it done in the US servers, it'd be taking away from Asian servers. Not exactly a great choice at this point, given that it's already publicized. Unless it just doesn't work technically, it will happen. It's best to just accept that.

This, to me, is somewhat similar to the first question. The Blizzard store is practically no different from generic DLC for video games. Most of us probably don't have many problems with that, do we? Are we all shunning companies because they choose to charge for DLC for the game that we already paid for? I seriously don't see this as a big problem.

Our $15 monthly subscription allows us access to content that the game and service provides. Nothing more. Most complainers need to remember that. Your money, as an individual, is not the sole driving factor of a company. You are merely a number added to a greater whole.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. When it comes to vanity (mounts/pets/gear/etc), it will always be too much. If it were $0.01, people would argue that it's too much, and that it might as well just be free. Heck, even if it were free, people would still complain about it, as though they paid specifically for that item (like they would have done now).

The assumption that a single individual (or even a group of people of any sample size) can deem vanity to be worth a specific price, is illogical and almost oppressive. If just one person is willing to pay the price for vanity, it is worth that price. There are many factors, besides financial profit, as to why vanity goods (IRL and ingame) cost the amounts that they do. Unfortunately, those factors are brushed off by those who are too ignorant to understand.

If ever, anyone implies that a vanity good (within a statistically reasonable price) should be cheaper, you can safely assume that they just don't understand the value behind vanity.
07/18/2013 06:07 PMPosted by Jujubiju

Agreed people think nothing of spending a hundred bucks on Cartel coins every month and they are gone in a hurry because of the items they put up for sale.
People just don't realize the dangers of an in game store and how quickly your money can go.
F2p is not free it's just pay more in a different way.
07/18/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Tsavis

Agreed people think nothing of spending a hundred bucks on Cartel coins every month and they are gone in a hurry because they hide some nice mounts in bundles, you never know if you will get a mount or not, kind of like the bmah packages blizzard already puts out, but with a few more items.

People just don't realize the dangers of an in game store and how quickly your money can go.
F2p is not free it's just pay more in a different way.

I call those people suckers. Now if you'll excuse me. *goes off to buy donuts for the Simpsons Tapped Out*

It's sad, but the unfortunate truth is the money comes from those who believe they know how to manage their money, but really don't. It's not literally a problem to spend money on in-game goods/currency. The problem is that people just don't know when to stop. It's like a gambling problem, but usually less to deal with random chance.
http://www.spike.com/episodes/sc36ck/bar-rescue-bar-fight-season-1-ep-109

07/18/2013 02:11 PMPosted by Hablix
Apritte - idk, I feel like long-time players are the torch bearers and evangelizers for WoW and the Blizzard brand

I understand what you are saying. After all these years, the game is changing at least a little bit. And, the chances are very, very good, that WoW is changing a whole lot. Some, NOT ALL, of the long-time players are hurt and upset. Ok, but I don't see a whole lot of torch bearing evangelists. I see a whole lot of hate. It seems like some people are hoping Blizzard fails. There is no torch bearing, there is just a whole bunch of "if i don't get my way, I'm gonna quit". How is that going to entice newcomers to WoW.

This situation reminds me of an episode of a TV show I watch. Hosted by Jon Toffer: it is called "Bar Rescue". He goes around to failing bars, figures out what the problems are then fixes them so they can be successful. It's episode 109. This bar owner is losing $100,000 a year - and don't know why. Well, one of the biggest problems is there is a handful of middle-aged people who have been regulars at this bar for a long time. And apparently they have been intimidating and harassing new comers so they will leave and never come back. These old timers didn't want any changes. They didn't care that the owner, a supposed friend, was losing $100,000 a year. As long as they got what they wanted.

Blizzard is not "snubbing" the old-timer demographic. In fact just the opposite. All they are doing with these helmets is creating a product for a different demographic. Not all products are designed for all people. People should be glad that there are folks out there willing to spend $15 to fund Blizzard. But what are the charming torch bearers doing? They are ganging up on people, making threats and acting like entitled brats that aren't getting their way. Doesn't that seem wrong to you?

Somewhere up thread, someone said that if the helmets $3 or $4, they'd sell way more. Well, yeah, of course they would. But that is the opposite of what they are trying to do. The helmets are $15 for two reasons:

1. Relative to other in-game purchases, $15 is a small amount.

2. The helmets are supposed to be a premium item, a luxury item. Not everyone is going to buy one.

The world doesn't need Lamborhinis. Everyone could just drive Toyotas. But some people are going to want the luxury item.

The cash store is going to have lots of items. I'm betting that some will be $1 and some will be $100. There will be plenty of items in between these two extremes. And there will be a variety of products that will appeal to many different audiences.
http://www.spike.com/episodes/sc36ck/bar-rescue-bar-fight-season-1-ep-109

Apritte - idk, I feel like long-time players are the torch bearers and evangelizers for WoW and the Blizzard brand

I understand what you are saying. After all these years, the game is changing at least a little bit. And, the chances are very, very good, that WoW is changing a whole lot. Some, NOT ALL, of the long-time players are hurt and upset. Ok, but I don't see a whole lot of torch bearing evangelists. I see a whole lot of hate. It seems like some people are hoping Blizzard fails. There is no torch bearing, there is just a whole bunch of "if i don't get my way, I'm gonna quit". How is that going to entice newcomers to WoW.

This situation reminds me of an episode of a TV show I watch. Hosted by Jon Toffer: it is called "Bar Rescue". He goes around to failing bars, figures out what the problems are then fixes them so they can be successful. It's episode 109. This bar owner is losing $100,000 a year - and don't know why. Well, one of the biggest problems is there is a handful of middle-aged people who have been regulars at this bar for a long time. And apparently they have been intimidating and harassing new comers so they will leave and never come back. These old timers didn't want any changes. They didn't care that the owner, a supposed friend, was losing $100,000 a year. As long as they got what they wanted.

Blizzard is not "snubbing" the old-timer demographic. In fact just the opposite. All they are doing with these helmets is creating a product for a different demographic. Not all products are designed for all people. People should be glad that there are folks out there willing to spend $15 to fund Blizzard. But what are the charming torch bearers doing? They are ganging up on people, making threats and acting like entitled brats that aren't getting their way. Doesn't that seem wrong to you?

Somewhere up thread, someone said that if the helmets $3 or $4, they'd sell way more. Well, yeah, of course they would. But that is the opposite of what they are trying to do. The helmets are $15 for two reasons:

1. Relative to other in-game purchases, $15 is a small amount.

2. The helmets are supposed to be a premium item, a luxury item. Not everyone is going to buy one.

The world doesn't need Lamborhinis. Everyone could just drive Toyotas. But some people are going to want the luxury item.

The cash store is going to have lots of items. I'm betting that some will be $1 and some will be $100. There will be plenty of items in between these two extremes. And there will be a variety of products that will appeal to many different audiences.

They also say there's one born every minute. Have fun with all that.
This is not a f2p game and I don't like blizz expanding the cash shop further. I came back to wow specifically so that I wouldn't have to deal with a micro transaction game, if that's what this turns into I'm out.
in a way i feel like im being pushed out of the game slowly..not having the skill or time to see certin content is one thing.. but having to pay extra on top of your sub for even small things like this is crossing the line IMHO.. what i fear most is one day having to pay acess for quest packs on top of my sub and xpacs.. i fear wow will become like eq in that they will charge for any little thing

Oh-oh, yah, that's pretty apt. Except for that whole part about 'Blizzard going broke' (they're not, they had a record-setting year and are on track for another), or us running off new players (we're not, in fact many if not most of us have supported all manner of changes to the game). You know...basically it's completely accurate, except for any way whatsoever in which it would apply to the situation.

But thanks for the mass grouping. That's definitely more liable to make me, or anyone who may feel like me, stick around.
There should be no cash shop in or out of the game.

Blizzard makes an obscene amount of money from this game. They make far more than they can actually spend on its development.

Blizzard is on record as saying that the bottleneck to their development isn't money, it's staff time, because they can't hire enough people that they feel will fit into the culture.

The consequence of these two facts is that everything in the cash shop is something that could have been in the game and available via gameplay, but was instead removed from it and placed on the cash shop for a premium price.

It is pure greed and people should avoid supporting it. By supporting it you're only legitimising and encouraging taking things out of the game and placing them on the cash shop.

you left out:

really needs to be answered since one segment says this is going to be the end of the world and the other segment says we want this....and blizz said they are doing this in response to one segment that apparently asked for it
07/19/2013 01:28 AMPosted by Shanicey
It is pure greed

Which has motivated every decision Blizzard has made since its inception, including all the ones you liked or agreed with.
07/19/2013 02:29 AMPosted by Mcdrunk
agreed

I too can quote out of context.

you left out:

really needs to be answered since one segment says this is going to be the end of the world and the other segment says we want this....and blizz said they are doing this in response to one segment that apparently asked for it

Why does it need to be answered? Blizzard is going to do what's best for Blizzard.