Misses...

Pet Battles
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
I don't think that's true at all. I would say most wins come down to who built the best team or has the best matchup and who played the team the best they could. I think losses based purely on rng are a small number.

Keyword being most, some close games really do get decided by those one of two RNG misses which is really unfortunate.
RNG is what killed Pet Battling for me. Used to be "in to" pet collecting and pet battling exclusively (a little OCD, actually)... now, except for the Qiraji Guardling that I needed to complete the achievement, I haven't battled in months.

I am a "battle purest", and RNG has no place in a strategy fight.

If anyone is familiar with Stratego (the board game), you know what I mean. You set up your pieces, make moves, try to capture their flag first. No RNG, just strategy before the game, and strategy during... Either opponent can win, but only one will based upon choices before and choices during... not some random miss here and there that can not be planned for.

RNG in a two player game like Pet Battles is ridiculous.
Keyword being most, some close games really do get decided by those one of two RNG misses which is really unfortunate.
I would say some games are decided around rng, just not as many as people are trying to make it out to be. Lets take a game that is decided around a last round miss or crit. I wouldn't automatically chalk that up to rng as some people would. If one of the teams was stronger in the match and should have never been in the position of having a last round miss or crit decide the match, well I would chalk that loss up to poor play on the stronger team than I would rng. When I lose a game that way I blame the awful move I made early over the last round rng. My decisions led to the loss not rng.
07/02/2013 06:58 AMPosted by Snow
I would say some games are decided around rng, just not as many as people are trying to make it out to be. Lets take a game that is decided around a last round miss or crit. I wouldn't automatically chalk that up to rng as some people would. If one of the teams was stronger in the match and should have never been in the position of having a last round miss or crit decide the match, well I would chalk that loss up to poor play on the stronger team than I would rng. When I lose a game that way I blame the awful move I made early over the last round rng. My decisions led to the loss not rng.

I used to coach and then referee basketball and I would tend to agree that there is a lot that goes on during the course of a game that can make a game closer than it should be in the end. But there is still that chance that a call can go against you that will decide the game.

As a coach I always told my teams that we should never allow ourselves to be in a position where a "bad call" decides the game. However, this did happen to our team in a tournament, no less, and we lost (ref apologized to me afterward cause he knew it was a bad call that decided the outcome in a very close contest).

That is what I would call "real life RNG". It wasn't very fun then, and it isn't very fun now. In my experience and opinion, skill and strategy should "always" decide the outcome of a contest, not RNG.
07/01/2013 06:03 PMPosted by Arriay
There would be two teams, one that runs whatever pets have been figured out to do the highest damage attacks the most often, and one that's built entirely to heal through it and deal moderate damage to wear the opponent down.

You forgot the inevitable CC-based team that is designed to screw those 2 teams up. Ah, the meta counter. : )
I just missed a 95% hit chance ability 6 times in a row, while the enemy player repeatedly hit me with a 50% chance ability.

Yeah it was totally his team set up, not the fact he got lucky as hell, that caused him to win..

>.> get real..

If I was a less polite person I'd be tempted to say "screen shot or it didn't happen".
I just missed a 95% hit chance ability 6 times in a row, while the enemy player repeatedly hit me with a 50% chance ability.

Yeah it was totally his team set up, not the fact he got lucky as hell, that caused him to win..

>.> get real..

If I was a less polite person I'd be tempted to say "screen shot or it didn't happen".
I would assume they are ignoring the darkness or sandstorm weather that was happening.
I would assume they are ignoring the darkness or sandstorm weather that was happening.

Quite true, but even with that loss of accuracy, 6 misses in a row strains at the bounds of likelihood. Here in the Gulf South we say "it's time to go to the boat" when longshots like that happen.
Almost everyone seems to be discussing exactly how bad it is... if it's as terrible as some of us think, or is slightly annoying at worst... my question is, when is it good? If it's purely a bad thing with no redeeming value, and we're just discussing HOW bad it is... why is it a discussion?

It's like there's a piece of wood lodged in our eye, and we're discussing if it's just an annoying splinter that we can barely feel, or if it's an agonizing wound that's obviously going to cause blindness... well who cares, just get the thing out of our eye! Who's going to miss it?

If it wouldn't matter to some people at worst, and take pet battling from unplayably broken to being fun again for other people at best... it seems like just a painfully obvious fix to make.
I think people use chess as an example because they want zero rng. It's hard to blame a chess loss on luck and easy to blame a pet battle loss on it.

Chess also is a noble and grand game. Pretending that pet battles without RNG would be like chess makes it sound like a grand idea, a game for the ages with only the most brilliant rising to the top.
The reality though is that pet battles without RNG would be only slightly more complex than tic-tac-toe, which sounds somewhat less grand.
In my experience and opinion, skill and strategy should "always" decide the outcome of a contest, not RNG.

Yes. RNG has it's "place" but when it becomes greater than strategy you might as well just click a "Pet Battle" button that tells you whether or not you've won.

Excessive RNG throws strategy right out of the window. You're not playing the game anymore, RNG is playing it for you.
07/02/2013 09:46 AMPosted by Cleocat
In my experience and opinion, skill and strategy should "always" decide the outcome of a contest, not RNG.

Yes. RNG has it's "place" but when it becomes greater than strategy you might as well just click a "Pet Battle" button that tells you whether or not you've won.

Excessive RNG throws strategy right out of the window. You're not playing the game anymore, RNG is playing it for you.

This.
explain to me then how I can beat a team that has the racial advantages then... you think that if they took out all misses completely people would just sit there and go blow for blow until the match is over? Taking out dodge + misses would do one thing: make people think more.

oh wait nevermind that sounds horrible
You mean the other teams pets do more damage or take less damage from your pets? Not all counter pets beat their counter.

I don't see how rng is greater than strategy now. Can you give examples of that being the case?
07/02/2013 09:18 AMPosted by Zebutan
Taking out dodge + misses would do one thing: make people think more.

Reducing the number of degrees of freedom would mean less thinking required, not more.

Excessive RNG throws strategy right out of the window

Shrug. Can you define "excessive"? In baseball getting on base one time in three is considered very good, and yet they still manage to have strategy.
You're not playing the game anymore, RNG is playing it for you.

+1
I don't think you can compare a 3 hour baseball game to a 4 min fights with random opponents each time

you can't really compare it to chess either but here we are. The only problem with rng is that people need to have a reason why the lost and never give it any credit for a win. Win = I AM BEST, loss = STUPID RNG.
I'd still like some examples of excessive rng.