Elemental Lords

Story Forum
yuval aziza‏@yuvalaziza
@Loreology @DaveKosak how Elemental Lords can to be good? (Al'Akir,Rangaros are bad & Neptulon,Therazane good) they all created by OldGod..

Sean Copeland‏@Loreology
@yuvalaziza @DaveKosak The Elemental Lords were not created by the Old Gods, just enslaved by them. :)

yuval aziza‏@yuvalaziza2
@Loreology @DaveKosak so tiatns creat them? or the nuthure/azeroth?

Sean Copeland‏@Loreology2h
@yuvalaziza @DaveKosak We're dropping that lore in an upcoming publication so I cannot spoil it here. Sorry! :)

Considering this fact what do you all think the likelyhood of Elune being the creator of the Elemental Lords is(Neptulon has an fountain holding the Waters of Elune in the Throne of the Tides remember)?
Pretty much nil. The association with Elune in the Throne of the Tides is probably because Elune is the moon goddess, and the moon causes the tides.
None, every planet has their own elemental lords. Outland's lords are just less potent because the planet is shattered or game mechanics.
Elemental Lords were all evil beings in lore back in classic wow, with Neptulon the strongest and most evil of the 4. But then the lore was changed and they seem to be more amoral now instead of truly evil.
The elements are pretty much assumed to have been on Azeroth since the dawn of time - elements exist on every planet. They're part of the whole makeup of the world and whatnot. However, elements tend to naturally lean towards a chaotic state - which is likely why the Old Gods went ahead and chose them for lieutenants. I don't think there were really elemental "Lords" until the Old Gods appointed them to lead their armies - it's just that Neptulon, Ragnaros, Al'Akir and Therazane happened to be the most powerful of their kind.

That said, I doubt Elune had much to do with their creation. They were just ... there, you know? Although I'm interested in hearing this lore they're talking about on Twitter.
07/08/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Aethenor
Elemental Lords were all evil beings in lore back in classic wow, with Neptulon the strongest and most evil of the 4.
That was actually entirely the RPG that stated that. With the exception of Ragnaros, this was all the lore we had about the Elemental Lords from classic:
"The Old Gods' armies were led by the most powerful elemental lieutenants: Ragnaros the Firelord, Therazane the Stonemother, Al'Akir the Windlord, and Neptulon the Tidehunter. Their chaotic forces raged across the face of the world and clashed with the colossal Titans. Though the elementals were powerful beyond mortal comprehension, their combined forces could not stop the mighty Titans. One by one, the elemental lords fell, and their forces dispersed.
...Without the Old Gods' power to keep their raging spirits bound to the physical world, the elementals were banished to an abyssal plane, where they would contend with one another for all eternity."
When the old gods came here they probably saw these guys and say "You got balls, we like balls" and appointed them to cause mayhem.
I see the Elemental Lords as more Chaotic Neutral to Chaotic Evil.
07/09/2013 02:58 AMPosted by Irøh
I see the Elemental Lords as more Chaotic Neutral to Chaotic Evil.

The Warcraft RPG had Al'Akir as CN, Neptulon as CE, Ragnaros as CN and Therazane as LN. Based on the way they were portrayed in WoW, I think it would be more accurate to swap the middle two around.

Al'Akir is CN because air is capricious and mercurial. He might be raging like a thunderstorm one day and calm as a clear sky the next.

Neptulon is CN because water is unpredictable and uncaring. The ocean can be helpful (providing water, fish and safe passage) but it can also turn violent (smashing ships, flooding towns and drowning people).

Ragnaros is CE because fire wants to consume everything. He's not just uncaring, but actively malicious. He delights in causing pain and revels in the burning and destruction of living things.

Therazane is LN because earth is patient, slow and stubborn. She's set in her ways and it can be difficult to convince her to change her mind.
Ragnaros is CE because fire wants to consume everything. He's not just uncaring, but actively malicious. He delights in causing pain and revels in the burning and destruction of living things.

It can be argued that Ragnaros can be neutral though. In ancient civilization, fire was regarded highly since it warded off the cold and pushed back the darkness of night. It became the center of development along with water sources and, together with the streams and rivers which yielded crops, fire basically became the foundation by which civilizations were built.

Going by that logic, the most evil of the elements might be wind, since ancient civilizations had little to nothing in the way of technology powered by wind and probably attributed it to destructive lightning and storms.

That said, I'm of the mind that each of the elements are purely neutral and do not abide by the moral compass of Azeroth's mortal denizens.