Tank Shortage

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
What is Blizzard doing about the ongoing issue of very few tanks available for very many raids?

THE LFR thing doesn't solve it - I have noticed a huge dropoff of available tanks in 5.3 - not sure why but something HAS to be done because people with a DPS mentality generally don't like 60 min queues and spamming in trade chat for a tank pug for 3 hours instead of raiding so....I think we have a BIIIIG part of your 5 million sub drop from 2010 Blizz? Yes??? Okay , now fix it.
It's not a tank shortage. It's just tanks don't want to deal with the responsibility of herding the challenged cats that queue for LFR.

Blizzard can't make people queue as a tank.
Only need 2 tanks for a 25-man raid. As such tools like LFR suffer. Simply not enough demand for tanks at the high levels of content. If they scaled the 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 DPS paradigm of dungeons into 10 and 25 man raids, raids could get very boring and tedious.
It's not a tank shortage. It's just tanks don't want to deal with the responsibility of herding the challenged cats that queue for LFR.

This, this, and this again.

Blizzard can't fix social problems. Role distribution is rooted in social behaviors more than anything else. Behavior in randoms and Raid Finder contributes to a severe shortage in non-DPS roles.

Only need 2 tanks for a 25-man raid. As such tools like LFR suffer. Simply not enough demand for tanks at the high levels of content. If they scaled the 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 DPS paradigm of dungeons into 10 and 25 man raids, raids could get very boring and tedious.

This would hold water...

If the OP were complaining about a glut of tanks.

Since their problem is of the opposite variety, this is meaningless.
Because we don't want to put up with your BS. I don't want to be 4th DPS on a single target fight while tanking as well as 3rd place on heals.

LFR is the most disgusting thing I've experienced in this game and flat out refuse to do it.
In a related note. I noticed and increase on healers numbers. Is it just an impression?
There is nothing Blizz can do, other than offer incentives for players to play a tank and enter the queue. Incentives like that satchel that is sometimes available in LFD.

Otherwise it is totally up to the players.
Players choose to play a tank or not. Tank players choose to enter the LFR or LFD queue or not.
It's all player choice. Nothing Blizz can do.

Blizzard can't fix social problems

Of course they can. Offer 1000g for tanks to do LFR and it will solve it. Or some extra loot.

It's a stupid idea, but the point is that Blizzard can fix social problems with game mechanics.
During 5.3, I leveled and geared my Prot Paladin to an ilvl of 511 as of last night. The reason I don't do many Heroic 5mans or LFR is one and the same. Morons. We have the morons in 5mans who think they're so awesome and super cool that they end up damn near wiping the group via their ego, and basically the same thing in LFR. At least in LFR they can be kicked, though. Blizzard has put out such a P.O.S system that you can't even kick morons out of 5mans anymore. That's why I rarely tank 5mans these days.
Tanking in LFR can be aggravating, especially when the other tank doesn't know what he's doing, alongside half the raid group.
Also, it's easier to get carried through LFR as a dps than a tank, so players prefer to queue as dps since you can be dumb enough to die from fire and still get loot and you probably won't get yelled at.
07/19/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Médic
Offer 1000g for tanks to do LFR and it will solve it.

Not for me. I can make 1000g just off one set of warbringers alone, and get reps in the process.. Plus its actually fun.

Pretty sure the mechanics are more difficult too.

Blizzard can't fix social problems

Of course they can. Offer 1000g for tanks to do LFR and it will solve it. Or some extra loot.

It's a stupid idea, but the point is that Blizzard can fix social problems with game mechanics.

Blizzard tried that with CTA.

It fell flat. Gold already practically rains from the skies in Mists, and the loot is just going to be nerfed to nothing due to DPS complaints (justified this time: One role should not innately get more loot than others strictly because it is that role).
I believe if we gave all the gnomes and dwarves step-stools it would solve the tank shortage.

It fell flat. Gold already practically rains from the skies in Mists, and the loot is just going to be nerfed to nothing due to DPS complaints (justified this time: One role should not innately get more loot than others strictly because it is that role).

Like I said, it was a stupid example. Just an example of how it's possible to fix social problems with mechanics. We just need to find the right ones.

I used to heal 5 mans on cata a lot because of the sachet. Since there are not for healers on this expansions (I only got twice on MoP), I heal a lot less on dungeons. I still do it for fun, sometimes.
I've never been a tank, but some of what I see on the forums, include:

Stupid tank, go faster.
Pull everything.
Don't pull everything.
Tank, we don't need you at low levels.
It's a face roll to tank a dungeon, if you can't do it, you suck
Don't ask any questions, google it, stupid tank.
New tank, don't worry I'll pull for you,

Hey, where are all the tanks?

This may be a little over the top, but you get my point. I would guess this could apply to healers, as well.

Just a thought.
I could be wrong.

Only time I tank in dungeons is with the CTA.

If there were better rewards, I would do it more often than maybe 2 times a day.

And yes, with what I have to put up with in LFD, I should get 10x as much as what the current CTA gives. I have taken the deserter debuff before because healers ran ahead, got me locked out, and sat there yelling at me while refusing to die. (kept healing themselves up...)
Blizzard addressed this multiple times.

The first time was during Burning Crusade, adding the Blood Elves and Draenei to the mix. You had more tank possibilities just by adding those races and the classes they could play--players cried about a tank shortage because nobody played Protection Paladins on the Horde and nobody played tanking specs to begin with...

Then came Wrath of the Lich King and Death Knights. Each spec was capable of tanking back then, not just Blood. Players cried about a tank shortage because nobody took the necessary tanking talents on the Death Knights.

Next came Cataclysm, with a bunch of new race/class combinations and even Goblins and Worgens with tanking possibilities. Players cried about a tank shortage because nobody played the tanking specs on those characters.

So Blizzard then came up with the idea of giving tanks bonus bags for running dungeons. Players cried about a tank shortage because those bags just weren't very good and didn't motivate tanks/healers to really queue.

Now we're into MoP and not only do we have Brewmaster Monks, we also have the Pandaren race with those tanking options. Players cried about a tank shortage because nobody played the tanking specs on those characters.

Do you see the pattern yet?

Unfortunately, the only solution is to force it. Create a class that has no choice but to be a tank character. There is no way to avoid it. There is no threat dump on this class and it will generate extreme amounts of threat, regardless of gearing issues. The playerbase will have no choice but to tank on that character if they decide to go into a group setting with it. And even THEN, the playerbase will cry about a tank shortage because nobody will play this class.
I have a healer, which I often take into LFR. I'm just one of many.
I have a dps, which I often take into LFR. I'm just one of many.

I have a tank, which I do not often take into LFR. I AM UNDER A MICROSCOPE AND SPOTLIGHT.
I have played a warrior since vanilla - he's not my main any more but I just do not enjoy tanking right now. It's boring and unfun. Active met. on warriors is lame and also not fun.

Vengeance is lame. AoE threat is lame. I honestly miss BC tanking. Every class get procs sucks. Threat is too easy vengeance ruins it as well. No CC is required. Taunt swaps are mind numbing.

and LFR makes it worse.