Ret loot for prot?

Paladin
I was told to use ret as my loot spec because the gear has more of the stats we actually need. Is this true?
Short answer: yes.
Thanks, just wanted to make sure.
Just remember to switch to Prot for bosses that drop weapons/shields.
Should I do the same for vendor items, from Shado-pan Assault?
Should I do the same for vendor items, from Shado-pan Assault?

Several of them, yes. Neck and cloak are haste/mastery which is perfectly itemized, and the chest is hit/expertise which isn't bad. The DPS trinket is expertise+strength proc, while the tank trinket is mastery+dodge proc, so the DPS trinket is generally better. The rest of the DPS gear has crit, which isn't very good.
Wait what? I should use ret gear for tanking? Do we really benefit so much more from haste/mastery than dodge/parry?
Wait what? I should use ret gear for tanking? Do we really benefit so much more from haste/mastery than dodge/parry?

Dodge and parry suck, period. None of the tanks value them very highly. If haste wasn't our best stat, then mastery would be, and it would still blow avoidance out of the water.

Since Blizzard decided to push active mitigation on tanking, passive mitigation has become a thing of the past.
07/24/2013 09:52 AMPosted by Keten

Dodge and parry suck, period. None of the tanks value them very highly. If haste wasn't our best stat, then mastery would be, and it would still blow avoidance out of the water.
My head asplode.

Stamina is still what we should try to gem for, though, right?

Yes and no; mostly depends on content and preference. If all you're doing is LFR, haste-biased gemming is probably going to be more effective.
After you reach a point in gear where you'll have enough of a health pool to survive a mitigated hit, you do not want to gem Stamina.
My head asplode.

Only if you need it. That generally only happens if you're undergeared for the content you're doing, or if you're doing heroic mode raids. For normal modes and anything less, more stamina than what's on your gear is unnecessary.

The only exception is if you want to use a purple gem in a blue socket for the bonus, and you don't need more hit.

(Stamina hasn't been valued very highly since the end of Wrath BTW.)
07/24/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Keten
purple gem in a blue socket

Or green - haste/hit, haste/stam.
Or green - haste/hit, haste/stam.

Haha, yeah. I always think "stamina hybrid = purple" for some reason.
Eh, the "how much stamina" argument has good points on either side, I'd say it's a personal preference thing.

Theck's recent modeling shows it's an order of magnitude better of a "Survival" stat than Haste/Mastery.

And technically, dodge/parry are still better than Haste/Mastery for TDR, it's just that no one cares as much about TDR as about "smoothing" stats that help flatten spikes in damage intake.

Rarely are tanks dying from either total damage taken or from healers running out of mana. They die from spikes of damage- one hit that is more than you can take, or a run of bad RNG that puts out damage faster than your healers can react.

This is also why it matters what content you're doing.

I would argue stam has value on either end of the spectrum- 25H, just because of the raw damage amounts, and LFR due to AFK/slacking/undergeared healers. In either case, having the health pool to soak several hits with bad RNG and not die can be quite beneficial.

For 10H, 10N, and even 25N, the extra DPS from Haste and smoothing from Haste/Mastery becomes more valuable, and you're generally not working with healers who are AFK/slacking.