What's best to macro with Wings on same GCD?

Paladin

Both Holy Avenger and Lifeblood are off the GCD. You'd still have the option of tacking on another on-GCD skill at the end of all of that.

Yeah, I'm aware, I just choose not to do that.
Both Holy Avenger and Lifeblood are off the GCD. You'd still have the option of tacking on another on-GCD skill at the end of all of that.

I still don't see why you would do that. If you have the ability keybound elsewhere, you're just removing options from yourself by adding it to your burst macro. And it seems like it would be so easy to fumble with a macro like that.
You'd still have the option of tacking on another on-GCD skill at the end of all of that.

That's kinda the point, though - that you shouldn't put anything on the global in your burst macro.
08/04/2013 04:29 PMPosted by Keten

I still don't see why you would do that. If you have the ability keybound elsewhere, you're just removing options from yourself by adding it to your burst macro. And it seems like it would be so easy to fumble with a macro like that.

I'm sorry, but what is your concern? You can have ES, TV, HoW, GoAK, AW, etc. all bound separately, like normal. The burst macro is one additional button on top of that. You're not taking away any options.
I generally don't find it troublesome to just press the buttons separately, whereas conveniently-accessible buttons are an extremely finite resource. So using up a keybind to blow cooldowns and also use an attack seems much less useful than just pressing one keybind for a cooldown, and another keybind for the attack.

But I have high typing speed, and I suspect that generalizes to keystroke speed here, so hitting multiple buttons within the space of a single GCD isn't a problem. Without that, I suppose it might be reasonable to have a single button like you're saying.

If HoW is off the table due to the lost fraction-of-a-GCD, I think TV is probably the best option.
Because then your cooldowns will always be used with that ability (unless it's on cooldown, at least). I'm not a robot; I don't always hit Avenging Wrath at the same time, every time, every fight. Maybe it's a minor concern, but it feels like a pointless loss of control.
Because then your cooldowns will always be used with that ability (unless it's on cooldown, at least). I'm not a robot; I don't always hit Avenging Wrath at the same time, every time, every fight. Maybe it's a minor concern, but it feels like a pointless loss of control.

You're not reading what I wrote in the OP or in my previous response to you. Everything else, including AW, can still be activated separately by themselves.
Then the macro accomplishes nothing. o.O

I mean if it works for you, go ahead. I just don't see the point.
I generally don't find it troublesome to just press the buttons separately, whereas conveniently-accessible buttons are an extremely finite resource. So using up a keybind to blow cooldowns and also use an attack seems much less useful than just pressing one keybind for a cooldown, and another keybind for the attack.

But I have high typing speed, and I suspect that generalizes to keystroke speed here, so hitting multiple buttons within the space of a single GCD isn't a problem. Without that, I suppose it might be reasonable to have a single button like you're saying.

If HoW is off the table due to the lost fraction-of-a-GCD, I think TV is probably the best option.

I don't think typing speed has anything to do with it. It's more about pressing multiple buttons simultaneously. For example, if you happen to be an engineer and also want to pop an on-use trinket, you'd want to:
/use 10
/use 14
/cast Holy Avenger
/cast Avenging Wrath

You could choose to hit 4 separate buttons on your keyboard simultaneously, or you could save yourself the trouble and put all 4 lines into 1 macro.
Then the macro accomplishes nothing. o.O

I mean if it works for you, go ahead. I just don't see the point.

Do you really not see the value in a macro where a bunch of off-GCD abilities are placed together? Maybe you're getting hung up on ret pally. Let me give you an example of an Orc BM Hunter who wants to pop a super Kill Command on the opening pull.
/use 10
/use 14
/cast Blood Fury
/cast Rabid
/cast Bestial Wrath
/petassist
/petattack
/cast Kill Command

All of the abilities above have their own separate binds on your hotbar. The macro is an additional button that you have as an additional option for when you want to pop everything in 1 GCD. You see the value in having a macro like that, right?
No, the issue is with adding an on-the-GCD ability to the burst macro. Obviously you'd benefit from condensing the cooldowns themselves into one macro if possible (although you'd need something else to activate Synapse Springs since it has half the cooldown of the others).

All of those lines have their own separate binds on your hotbar.

Sounds like a major waste of keybinds.
08/04/2013 07:49 PMPosted by Keten
No, the issue is with adding an on-the-GCD ability to the burst macro.

What is the issue? Are you saying that the hunter should not have the last line, Kill Command, in the example above? That is the whole point of that macro, to do a super KC.

All of those lines have their own separate binds on your hotbar.
Sounds like a major waste of keybinds.

What in the world? Are you saying you don't have TV, DS, ES, AW, GoAK, etc. as separate buttons on your toolbar? How do you play?

I don't think typing speed has anything to do with it. It's more about pressing multiple buttons simultaneously. For example, if you happen to be an engineer and also want to pop an on-use trinket, you'd want to:
/use 10
/use 14
/cast Holy Avenger
/cast Avenging Wrath

You could choose to hit 4 separate buttons on your keyboard simultaneously, or you could save yourself the trouble and put all 4 lines into 1 macro.

I'm not talking about that, though. Those are off-GCD abilities which you will always activate together, and so there is indeed no reason to not macro them together. And 3 extra buttons is more than 1.

But macroing the first attack with your cooldowns saves only one button press, which for me is not a problem in the first place. I can ALREADY press everything in 1 GCD, so I don't need a macro for it, and I don't want to waste convenient keybinds on it.

Since I already have my attacks and my cooldowns bound, I personally have no use for an extra button which just activates cooldowns and an attack. I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong for wanting one, I just explained why I personally don't find that useful.
Engineering tinkers and on-use trinkets interfere with each other.

And there's a fundamental difference between stacking off-global abilities into a single macro and trying to throw in a core rotational ability into such a macro as Ret. Either you're going to use an ability when you really shouldn't - which would do more harm than good to your DPS - or you're going to have to mash the macro multiple times (in the case of HoW). Which is pointless if you already have it bound elsewhere.

#showtooltip Avenging Wrath
/cast Guardian of Ancient Kings
/cast Avenging Wrath
/use 14
/y It's time to kick !@# and chew bubble gum!
/in 30 /y Now I'm all outta gum!

That is the entirety of my burst macro, the /y bit is of course optional. Because everything involved is off-global, I can hit it mid-global and go right into burn rotation immediately - and that's really the core strength of Ret's burst capability, as several other classes have burst CDs that are on-global.
Shouldn't the delayed yell be, "now I'm all outta !@#-kicking"? ^.-
(Shouldn't the delayed yell be, "now I'm all outta !@#-kicking"?)

No? I mean, I kick-!@# all the time, but gum has to be changed frequently as it gets stale. :p

Also, wouldn't fit the reference.
I like the parody version of it: "it's time to kick !@# and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta $%^-kicking."
What is the issue? Are you saying that the hunter should not have the last line, Kill Command, in the example above? That is the whole point of that macro, to do a super KC.

If the cooldowns are always, only, ever used with Kill Command? Sure, that works. On my paladin I don't always use the exact same ability when I use my cooldowns.

What in the world? Are you saying you don't have TV, DS, ES, AW, GoAK, etc. as separate buttons on your toolbar? How do you play?

Avenging Wrath and Holy Avenger are macroed together (no Synapse Springs or trinket to macro to them). Everything else has its own keybinds.

But I was referring to all of the other stuff you listed. Blood Fury, Synapse Springs, trinket, Bestial Wrath. Binding them all separately is a waste if they're always used together. The only reason to keybind cooldowns separately is if they're used at different times (e.g. not macroing Guardian with AW and HA because it's used earlier).
I like the parody version of it: "it's time to kick !@# and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta $%^-kicking."

Run with it, then; I've already got my bastardized version and I'm sticking to it.
...Blood Fury, Synapse Springs, trinket, Bestial Wrath. Binding them all separately is a waste if they're always used together.

They're not always used together. The abilities don't all have the same CD and so don't always line up. Bestial Wrath is on a 1 min CD, for example, and is used by itself most of the time. Similarly, Rabid is 1.5 min, Blood Fury is 2 min, etc. If they're all up, you can stack them together like on the opening burst, but because most of the CDs are staggered, you usually don't have that opportunity.