Frost Mage Icicles gemming differently or.. ?

Mage
I've been on the PTR a bit playing around with frost but it's quite laggy for me as I don't have it fully downloaded or the best internet.

So, I'm wondering if our "build" is going to be the same for 5.4 as it is in 5.3. Lots and lots of Haste or is Mastery getting better because of Icicles? I read somewhere that crit over the 28% "cap" was becoming better and better.
Would it be wise to maybe go straight haste and use Mage armor for the mastery increase?

What is everyone's thought on this?

Thanks!
Still too early to tell. RPPM changes devalue haste (though probably not enough to put it below crit or mastery)

Crit and mastery flopping around is possible, though.
Does Mastery only affect the icicles - if so it's as useless as it currently is. If it affects all spells you may be in a position to argue Haste = Mastery. I can't see CS being any more valuable than it is now. If Mastery only applies to Icicles, I can't see Frost scaling any better than it does today.
08/16/2013 01:17 PMPosted by Keon
Does Mastery only affect the icicles - if so it's as useless as it currently is. If it affects all spells you may be in a position to argue Haste = Mastery.

I dunno man, what are you basing that useless comment off of?
Does Mastery only affect the icicles - if so it's as useless as it currently is. If it affects all spells you may be in a position to argue Haste = Mastery. I can't see CS being any more valuable than it is now. If Mastery only applies to Icicles, I can't see Frost scaling any better than it does today.

Mastery is what determines your icicles, but it effects your FFB and FB spells. For instance, if you have 20% of your damage stored as an icicle from mastery, think of it as +20% damage to frost bolt that's only applied after you've stored up 5 more icicles or used an ice lance.

In addition it also directly adds to your elemental's damage. There's really no danger to it surpassing haste as haste benefits all of your abilities (until GCD cap) and leads to a faster generation of icicles.
Mastery: Frostburn has been replaced by Mastery: Icicles. When the Mage damages an enemy with their Frostbolt, and Frostfire Bolt (16% + 2% per Mastery) of the damage done is stored as an Icicle for 15 seconds. Mastery: Icicles also increases the Water Elemental’s Water Bolt damage by (16% + 2% per Mastery). Up to 5 Icicles can be stored at once. Casting Ice Lance launches all stored Icicles at the target.
This change should keep the stats the same as how they are before RPPM trinkets/Meta, which is hit (cap)>int>haste>crit (cap)>mastery. Mastery is going actually scale better now for PVE at the cost of pvp burst, even though frost will still have plenty of burst. With trinkets no longer affected by haste, this stat weight should be the same for all ilvls.
1 Int will probably become > 2 Haste again. Everything else stays the same
Whats not said is once you stack 5 icicles, each frost bolt automatically releases one for bonus xxx(mastery) damage to the target.

With icy veins glyph you are adding 3 icicles or releasing 3 icicles independent of whats happening with ice lance.

With all this being said it feels like haste is significantly better as you will always add more charges and / or be releasing more charges during periods of no cooldowns.

So....

1. I think it adds another dimension to consider for alter time usage.
2. On demand haste will be interesting, troll racial will be interesting.