5.4 Frost DKs (2h or DW)

Death Knight
Basically, I'm wondering what you fellow DKs think about the changes coming in on 5.4, mainly 2H or DW.

As of now the main changes to Frost Dks are:
1. Frost Strike now deals 115% weapons damage (up from 105% weapon damage).
2. Howling Blast now deals 30% more damage.
3. Might of the Frozen Wastes now increases all melee attack damage by 30% (up from 20%).
4. Obliterate now deals 250% weapon damage (up from 230% weapon damage).

And it's obvious the first two changes are a buffs to DW Dks while the last two are 2H buffs. During Cata I used to play a DW Frost and switched to 2H during MoP (totally did it without thinking, it was easier to get 2H weapons while leveling and I ended up sticking to it). I've been debating on going back to DW Frost with the coming of 5.4 considering there are a few posts talking about DW Frost going back to its "former glory".

I know there are some talks about Tier Bonuses as well, but removing that factor, and when comparing the two specs in general, what do you think would end up with higher dps? Not a serious question, just want to see what the community in general thinks.
No expert here either. But I can foresee the following:

We will easily be resource capped so haste loses value - meaning there is some haste point where we don't need more (13,000 maybe?), plus AMS will be even more helpful with the glyph. You can basically macro it to oblit if you want to be noobish about it.

Crit still has scaling issues since more haste = more killing modes = auto crits, so each crit only helps us about half as much as other classes.

Mastery will actually scale a little better since we will be doing more frost damage with the hb and fs buffs.

So basically DW may scale better than 2H. 2H will probably be better for the average player, but I can see some top geared DK's going with DW.

You could also run into a point where 2H gears mastery over crit, at which point someone could just switch between DW and 2H depending on the boss mechanics.
They'll all be close. 2 Handed will be the safest for most. DW Frost has a little more checks and balances while dps'n than 2 handed frost does. For the most part 2 handed is just concerned about how they consume KM's, weaving in their disease appliers so they don't fall off and lastly fitting in the Soulreapers when the mob is 35% or less. DW has to pay slightly more attention to how they consume their unholy runes. Enough so that some will hurt their dps enough to be below 2 handed Frost by a decent amount but that would be the case no matter what.

Our secondaries just don't help us like most. The damage will be slightly more frost but not that much. Your Obliterates are 20% higher BEFORE Might's multipliers so Obliterates will be a lot larger. For example Frost strike is 105% weapon and is getting a 10% increase. For DW Frost this translates to a 15% increase because of Threat of Thassarian. I can see 2 handed Frost hurting their own dps if they start trying to play 2 handed Frost as Master Frost though. So we have to be careful about thinking mastery should surpass crit for them. HB currently doesn't hold a candle reliably and that is coming from a DW Frost DK. With all our damage buffs the one to HB really seems just to keep it more equal with the other damage buffs we're getting as Frost DK's.
Dw right now. Dw in 5.4. Dw foreva!
it's not live yet, knowing blizzard theyll take half of those away :(
The current rankings for the 3 right now are ranking unholy (250829 DPS) > 2H frost (250628 DPS) > DW frost (233115 DPS) in tier 15 BiS.
The current rankings for the 3 right now are ranking unholy (250829 DPS) > 2H frost (250628 DPS) > DW frost (233115 DPS) in tier 15 BiS.

wow that difference between 2h and unholy really is nothing, 2h is easier to manage too so i reckon thats gunna be the way to go
Keep in mind rankings do not necessarily reflect reality. If we attempt to use as much of a patchwerk as we can in ToT then lets do 25 man normal Durumu top rankings.

Darkhallow Unholy - 271,184

赫拉丶 Frost (2 Handed) - 229,725

Inory Frost (DW) - 216,594

edited to add.

I know this isn't necessarily BIS or anything. I picked 25 man normal for more of a chance of all buffs being applied to each player and not heroic because it changes things in the fights and would be a much smaller sample size overall.
I say DW will be the better spec out of the two. The reason is that there are very few low movement, single target fights in siege of org. The amount of aoe and add switching that is required in the tier will mean dw is the go to choice if you find 1h's to drop, and unholy will be the spec of choice if you get a 2h to drop
They're the two more versatile yes but it's not like 2 handed Frost isn't getting the Howling Blast buff to.
Gonna try some Unholy after 5.4 :D
While the first two technically benefit dual wield more, don't forget 2h Frost uses Howling Blast and Frost Strike also, so it's damage from those sources go up. Combined with the Might of the Frozen Wastes and Oblit bonus, I think 2h Frost is going to be a in very good place. I doubt either 2h or DW will still compete with Festerblight UH but we'll be stronger and that's all that matters.
I doubt either 2h or DW will still compete with Festerblight UH but we'll be stronger and that's all that matters.

gotta keep in mind feather is gone and another trinket like it won't be coming back. fb will still be strong tho, it just wont be dominating like it is now.
I'm hoping dw frost will become more viable for single target fights. I think the removed the razorice buff though on the ptr.
I'm hoping dw frost will become more viable for single target fights. I think the removed the razorice buff though on the ptr.

all dk specs will be close to each other.
This'll be interesting to see. I'm just glad frost got some loving.

On a side note: I hope they'll eventually bring back blood dps. Notice I said eventually. Not now. Not soon, but eventually.

BLOOD DPS FOREVER!!!!!
If you get blood dps, i want DW unholy back
This'll be interesting to see. I'm just glad frost got some loving.

On a side note: I hope they'll eventually bring back blood dps. Notice I said eventually. Not now. Not soon, but eventually.

BLOOD DPS FOREVER!!!!!

^x10