Blindsight's How to Choose a Server Guide

New Player Help and Guides
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
If you have a friend who also plays the game, make sure to play on the same server as your friend!
How do you change from one type to another? Say I want to go from PvP to RPPvP. How would I do that?
06/16/2011 10:40 AMPosted by Tâîntèd
How do you change from one type to another? Say I want to go from PvP to RPPvP. How would I do that?

You can pay to transfer a character, or you can just log in and select the "Change Realm" button at the top of your character sheet, then pick a realm.
Have any BG realm?
06/19/2011 04:46 PMPosted by Pingz
Have any BG realm?

There's no such thing as a BG realm.
This thread is great.. except for the fact that I'm in Australia! =D Would anyone please be able to tell me the closest 'realm' to the western side of my upside down country? It would be greatly appreciated. I DID check out the links, but they either didn't work, or they didn't tell me what I'm asking here, but I can see how useful they would be to Americans! Cause you guys know where New York is, but I don't, lol! Especially not compared to Perth/western australia. So, yeah, please help this newby choose a realm. =D
All realms on the "Oceania" list are in Australia/New Zealand area, I believe there is only one data center housing all of the Oceania ones. If you need more of a selection and want to include US realms as well, then the ones out of the Los Angeles, California data center would be closest you for the US ones.
So basically all the Oceanic servers/realms are going to have about the same latency for me? That sucks. I've been trying to improve my latency, I have it down to around 600 - 1000 at best. I hear that is pretty average for Australian users on my side of the country, and in iscolated areas such as myself. I disagree. I think it's above average, even when connecting to a US server. Any tips ladies and gents? I need the *best* realm you can think of when connecting from the West / Perth and surrounding areas.

So far the best server I've tried was the first Oceanic one when you sort by alphabet, forgive me for not remembering the names yet. :)
So basically all the Oceanic servers/realms are going to have about the same latency for me? That sucks. I've been trying to improve my latency, I have it down to around 600 - 1000 at best. I hear that is pretty average for Australian users on my side of the country, and in iscolated areas such as myself. I disagree. I think it's above average, even when connecting to a US server. Any tips ladies and gents? I need the *best* realm you can think of when connecting from the West / Perth and surrounding areas.

So far the best server I've tried was the first Oceanic one when you sort by alphabet, forgive me for not remembering the names yet. :)

Which server you connect to with a data center doesn't really matter. It's which data center the server is housed in that determines your latency. Once you pick your data center, connecting to any realms within it will have similar results. We can't pick a server or measure latency for you.
Your latency has much more to do with the bandwidth of your internet connection and what other computers are doing on your home network connection. The US is 6 time zones wide if you count Alaska and Hawaii, and yet people in Hawaii play on the east coast datacenter realms all the time and only see a slight increase in latency over realms housed in the west coast datacenter. If you're playing WoW on one computer and there's another computer in the house that's also doing something network intensive (surfing the web and checking e-mail doesn't count, I'm talking about playing another MMO online game or downloading/uploading something massive) then your latency will be higher because there's two computers competing for network resources. Also if you are on dial up, or a narrow bandwidth internet plan, then your latency will also be higher.
Okay, I understand now. I went and did some research into reducing my latency using a special program that adjusts some internal settings in windows. Now I'm getting about 200 - 300 Ms all the time, which is prefectly fine. Thanks for all your help ladies and gents.
Guys, the http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/us and the http://www.warcraftrealms.com/ are really trustable?
I mean, can i really trust in they number? They are well atualized?
Guys, the http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/us and the http://www.warcraftrealms.com/ are really trustable?

If they weren't trusted, they wouldn't be listed in a stickied guide on this forum.

And "atualized" isn't a word.

If they weren't trusted, they wouldn't be listed in a stickied guide on this forum.

That was a little rude.
Everybody begin as a noob on everything. I bet you have your doubts when you start playing for the first time.
Sorry about my english. Sorry if my question was strupid. Sorry if I have less experience on wow and on these sites than you.

I was just asking.

By the way, thanks for answer.

That was a little rude.
Everybody begin as a noob on everything. I bet you have your doubts when you start playing for the first time.
Sorry about my english. Sorry if my question was strupid. Sorry if I have less experience on wow and on these sites than you.

I was just asking.

By the way, thanks for answer.

It wasn't written in a rude tone. If they were bad websites or untrusted or shady in any way, then they wouldn't be listed in a stickied guide here. That's the truth. You're reading between the lines when there's nothing there.
A couple or three things that I can add from my experience:

1) Immaturity is not directly related to PvP or PvE. There are people who behave as children on both. The horde side tends to be more mature but horde has its share of kiddies. Horde side also tends to be more helpful and has a better sense of teamwork than the alliance side. I don't know why, I just have noticed it. The horde side, even when it's in the minority on a server, tends to control Wintergrasp or Tol Barad most of the time. Also, PvP servers tend to have more players who are willing to group with you and people on PvE servers, in general, tend to be more interested in soloing most of the time. Ipso facto.

As a side note, if you go with a PvP server, never, EVER sell anything on the AH with your main toons. Reserve that activity to a banker toon that you never play. Keep it level 1 forever.

2) If you live in the eastern time zone, go to an eastern timezone server unless your schedule is different. If you live in the pacific time zone, go with an eastern timezone server. Unless you're a night owl, living in pacific but playing in eastern means that it's easy to make raids since primetime for raids is between 8 pm and 1 am. This means that someone who lives in pacific can make most raids and still get a full night's sleep before having to go to work. The raiding guild's raiding start time of 8 pm is 5 pm for you, you lucky dog.

3) Ask yourself "do I like the idea that someone from the other faction can hunt me down and kill me while my back is turned no matter where I am and I can do the same to him?" If this question elicits a thrill and gets your heart pounding, go with a PvP server. Any other reaction, especially 'I don't know', go with PvE. On a PvE server, you can shut off and opt out of PvP. You can't do that on a PvP server. On a PvP server, it's all PvP all the time even if you don't want to. Especially when you don't want to. Nothing is more miserable than a PvP fan on a PvE server or a PvE fan on a PvP server.
The horde side tends to be more mature but horde has its share of kiddies. Horde side also tends to be more helpful and has a better sense of teamwork than the alliance side. I don't know why, I just have noticed it. The horde side, even when it's in the minority on a server, tends to control Wintergrasp or Tol Barad most of the time.

None of this is true for all servers. It's a blanket generalization that you've pulled out of your rear based on your experience with very few people on very few servers. Use facts, not opinions and wide generalizations. You can't prove that ANY of what you just said is true.

As a side note, if you go with a PvP server, never, EVER sell anything on the AH with your main toons. Reserve that activity to a banker toon that you never play. Keep it level 1 forever.

Do you have a reason for this or is this another opinion? Folks have level 85 bankers and everything in between because they leveled a class and left it to gather dust as an alt. The level of the character doesn't matter.
08/19/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Icedragon
The horde side tends to be more mature but horde has its share of kiddies. Horde side also tends to be more helpful and has a better sense of teamwork than the alliance side. I don't know why, I just have noticed it. The horde side, even when it's in the minority on a server, tends to control Wintergrasp or Tol Barad most of the time.

None of this is true for all servers. It's a blanket generalization that you've pulled out of your rear based on your experience with very few people on very few servers. Use facts, not opinions and wide generalizations. You can't prove that ANY of what you just said is true.

Do you have a reason for this or is this another opinion? Folks have level 85 bankers and everything in between because they leveled a class and left it to gather dust as an alt. The level of the character doesn't matter.

Oh? You've been on all servers have you? Actually, I did quite a bit of empirical research before moving my alliance toons to a PvE server. I used warcraftrealms data, rolled alliance and horde toons on the servers that met my criteria and observed about a half dozen realms for a couple of weeks before settling on one. I also rolled DKs on many others. I spent about ten levels on each, spending a lot of time in Orgrimmar or Stormwind getting to know the population.

One server actually had the alliance outnumbering the horde by 3 to 1 and the horde was almost always in control of Wintergrasp (this was during Wrath). I spent quite a bit of time on a server where the horde outnumbered the alliance by at least 5 to 1. A couple of the others, including the one I'm on now, were more or less even in population between horde and alliance and, again, the horde is almost always in control. I have horde toons on another server and the horde people there are always helpful and trade chat is actually pretty civil compared to any alliance trade that I've encountered. Pulled it out of my rear? No. But I did mention that it was my experience. I didn't say that this was true everywhere since neither you nor I can claim to have that much experience. Every server I've been on in WoW, I have made it a point to hang out on both sides and pay attention to what people are saying in trade and how the act towards other toons and what I said is based on my experience, not yours.

As far as the AH information goes, again, that's my opinion based on my experience. I don't really care whether you disagree or not. But I can tell you that I don't have that problem on a PvE server. Being on a PvP server, you always have to watch your back. Always.
08/19/2011 09:45 AMPosted by Icepirate
observed about a half dozen realms for a couple of weeks

That's six realms out of 241 in North America. Have you ever taken a statistics class? Your sample size isn't nearly large enough to be indicative of a population trend. You posted opinions based on your very limited observations which you cannot prove because they're not facts.

If you want to offer up advice, use facts instead of opinions.

What's the reason for you suggesting this? Did someone start stalking you or something just because you outbid or undercut them on the AH? And if so, why would being on a PvP server be worse than a PvE server for such a situation. If someone's going to stalk you they'll find ways to do it on either server, then you can report them.