Definitive Cat DPS FAQ (4.0.x)

Druid
Prev 1 2 3 4 30 Next
Savage Roar - Increases your white damage by 50%. This is the single greatest damage increase you have (assuming sufficiently high weapon DPS). Like a Rogue's Slice and Dice, you should get it, and keep it up all the time. Its potency doesn't change with the number of combo points you use, only its duration, so most druids fire it up with 2 points to start, and refresh it with 5. You can refresh it with less, but doing so uses more energy for the same amount of uptime. As of Cataclysm you can apply Savage Roar off mobs that have just died, assuming you have combo points on them. Note Rip uptime should take precedence over Savage Roar uptime (though you will be able to maintain both comfortably regardless).
How much downtime, roughly, would it take for Savage Roar to lose out to Ferocious Bite? I'm assuming if you hit a 5pt Roar and have to run around for 8 seconds before continuing yellow attacks, that the Roar would have been much better off as a Bite, so where do they come close to being equal?
Yawning you're so pretty!
All of you are!
Thanks for bringing this to the new forums, Yawning. Hopefully this gets stickied soon.
I say sticky it already! Plzz blizz
Up to the top
bump

moar sticky plz

Capping hit/expertise or not is a personal decision, much like "i can has spirit gems?". Mathematically, the value of Agility is approximately 4 times that of Hit in early level 85 gear, so in a vacum, it is a decision that I will frown upon.

That said, if you need to use Agi/Hit gems to meet the Meta requirements or something, gemming hit is fine.

Have you considered trying to model the uncertainty due to not being hit capped into the math?

And by uncertainty, I mean its affect on a finite length fight, rather than how it averages out assuming many iterations. You're the magical mathematical unicorn dragon, so I feel silly trying to suggest this but given not being hit capped, there's some curve that describes the probability distribution of how much % of max theoretical damage for a given length fight. Is that of any interest and might that change the value of hit vs. the 'long term' value of it.

I also wonder how human factors affect the answer when not hit capped, though that's a bit harder to model.

68.2% of all encounters (assuming no change in gear, identical encounter duration etc) will fall within 1 standard deviation of reported DPS assuming a sufficiently large sample size.

Out of curiosity, what is 'sufficiently large' (and is that in time, or equal encounters sampled?). If that's time, wouldn't the stddev grow as the length of the fight gets shorter?

Also, your numbers above seem to suggest that 0 hit is optimal...or at least that the hit capped version is more than 2 (almost 3) sigma less than the 0 hit numbers which almost suggests to avoid hit and even reforge it away.

Bump. Need sticky nao plz.
Good lord that's a lot of posts. The guide seemed much shorter on the old forums...
Good lord that's a lot of posts. The guide seemed much shorter on the old forums...

I think the old forum had a larger word limit. The new one is capped at 5000 words per post.
+1 sticky

Thank you for the guide!
I'm thinking two points in natural shape shifter are useless, they should be thrown in to nurturing instinct. A dead cat provides 0 dps, as well as making the healers job easier.
I'm thinking two points in natural shape shifter are useless, they should be thrown in to nurturing instinct. A dead cat provides 0 dps, as well as making the healers job easier.

Except you need 2/2 NS to get to MSS.