WoW Performance Guide For Macs - Patch 8.0

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 18 19 20
I just got a new Mini, and I have followed the instructions, I can not find the box to check for starting the game in low resolution where the rest of you did. (Right click on wow file). What am I doing wrong? I am having the same performance issues it sounds like many other folks had\have, very low fps in raid.

Specs: 2.8 GhZ Intel core 5, 8 GB Memory 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB.
What kind of monitor are you using? I'm not sure the mini supports this setting -- I think it's only machines with a built-in "Retina" display.
My Hack Pro has the "Open in low resolution" checkbox. I suspect he's looking in the wrong place. It's in the Get Info window, not the right click contextual menu.
So Apple just announced their new Mac Mini and I was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on this new computer for playing World of Warcraft. The only PC game that I play is WoW, so if I could just no longer use my PC that would be ideal. I think the only problem may lie with the integrated GPU.

Here's my proposed specs:

3.0GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
Intel UHD Graphics 630
256GB PCIe-based SSD storage
I'd up the RAM, but it might be cheaper to buy that 3rd party as the pics make it look like it can be upgraded. Not sure how easy the access will be, but it should be possible.

Looks good. I'd get the i7, but it's probably not necessary unless you need the extra CPU power for other tasks than gaming. This machine screams "eGPU". My guess is the i7 model is faster than the 6-core Mac Pro at half the price and with the eGPU will have better graphics as well. Call it Mac Pro lite.

(I was surprised by the i3 option -- first time Apple has offered that I think.)
Replacing the RAM should be pretty easy, but we shall see. The most graphic intensive thing I do is World of Warcraft, which is to say not a lot. The main concern that I have with the machine is the integrated graphics.

The reason why I went with the i5 is because I can get a better deal with a pre-built machine and I suspect that the i7 may run a bit hot.
10/30/2018 09:03 AMPosted by Sagerremeseb
I'd up the RAM, but it might be cheaper to buy that 3rd party as the pics make it look like it can be upgraded. Not sure how easy the access will be, but it should be possible.

Looks good. I'd get the i7, but it's probably not necessary unless you need the extra CPU power for other tasks than gaming. This machine screams "eGPU". My guess is the i7 model is faster than the 6-core Mac Pro at half the price and with the eGPU will have better graphics as well. Call it Mac Pro lite.

(I was surprised by the i3 option -- first time Apple has offered that I think.)

I have to agree with the eGPU shout out. I just posted about my experience with the 2018 MBP and BFA is soooo much better performing with my Breakaway Puck eGPU. the new Mac Mini should absolutely benefit in the same way as my MBP.
10/30/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Rosaelliia
So Apple just announced their new Mac Mini and I was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on this new computer for playing World of Warcraft.
Should be pretty reasonable with an eGPU providing you pair it with a monitor of reasonable resolution... I'd keep it 1440p max and you'd be laughing.

With a 1080p monitor you could possibly even find the game to be "playable" at the lower end of the settings slider WITHOUT an eGPU.
Hello! Can the new iMac Pro run WoW? Probably a dumb ?, but I am curious.
11/13/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Grumgabus
Hello! Can the new iMac Pro run WoW? Probably a dumb ?, but I am curious.
Yes it can, pretty overkill though and I wouldn't go and buy one just to play WoW.
But hey, if you have one, it should be fine. Just keep in mind that there's been reports on here of them getting very hot which ends up causing stutter. Would be a good idea to manually adjust fan speed higher to keep it as cool as possible.