WoW Performance Guide For Macs - Legion

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 4 17 Next
So let me get this straight; if I run WoW in windows via boot camp I will get better performance??? Apple FTL
If this has been addressed already, I apologize. But, I found overall graphic performance to be better when doing this...

Go into the Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Energy Saver. Be sure your graphics performance is set to "Higher Performance". This only applies to Macs with graphics cards + integrated graphics (Macbook Pro's only, I believe). But this will ensure your system is using the faster graphics card vs. integrated graphics.

If you are on the road and doing things other than gaming (using battery power), you will probably want to change it back to "Better battery life".

Here is the kbase article from Apple...
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3207
On a late 2009 iMac i7 (ATI 4850), the sunshaft/water settings you list drastically reduce performance.

Raising the water effects level above fair reduces the frame rate to 15fps, regardless of any other setting.

Turning on sunshafts AT ALL reduces the frame rate to 15fps, regardless of any other setting.

This is on a computer with 4gb of RAM, the above-mentioned processor/graphics setup, and running the fresh and new 10.6.5.

Agree with the sunshaft comment.....they are my iMac killer for the same base machine. The water and shadows can be played with, but it varies depending on location, etc. sun shafts will lock your framerate to 13-15fps.

Agree with the comments here, but even then the performance guide is not correct. With liquid to fair and sunshafts to disabled, I can only get 60 fps on my ATI 4850 if the resolution is 1920x1080.

The good news is that now with this fixed, View Distance/Env Detail/Particle Density can be set to Ultra and still have 60 fps. These specs are higher priority for me and result in better gameplay than sunshafts. Also setting this config to 2560x1440 still gets 40+ fps.

The guide needs to be updated.
-deleted-
Hi all,

My iMac is relatively old I suppose and after getting cata I'm noticing its not handling it as well as it used to--I stopped playing after season 5, right after ulduar was released. I've got the latest Snow Leopard version (10.6.5) and here are the other specs: Its an Intel Core 2 Duo with 2.33 GHz processor speed, 2GB of ram, and an NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (256MB vram). Right now its mainly cities that are pretty much unplayable, but with everything turned down to low (I haven't really played with anything so some of the things could probably be moved up) I get 60fps in most places, but muuuch lower in populated zones.

If I used WoW on my Boot Camp install, would the game play better then it would currently on OSX? If anyone has settings they'd like to share that'd be cool--I don't plan on doing any raids on a regular basis since I mainly PvP (BGs/arena).

Thanks!
I have seen on some of the Windows support sections here notes about cores being detected. I checked my config.wtf folder and there is an entry for SET coresDetected "2"

I am not sure how I got this in there since deleting that file and letting WoW recreate does not seem to add that line in.

I actually have the 2010 quad core model with 5750 video. Should I manually add a line set coresdetected "4" or would it even help on a Mac?
"Though if you're on a pre-Intel PowerPC machine, the game will not run as of patch 4.0.1. "

Am I to understand the reason why I have not been able to patch to 4.0.0 is due to having a PowerPc? Please tell me you did not make it impossible for me to play a game I have played, owned and payed for for years! One thing if I wasn't able to upgrade to Cataclysm, another if existent game play was no longer possible.

Hi again-

I haven't done any extensive testing, but so far running WoW in Boot Camp is much, much smoother/enjoyable. Right now I'm only getting around 20 fps in super busy org (between the bank/AH on a flying mount), and at first I was a little annoyed, until looking in video settings. When I went into video settings and just clicked "do w/e is recommended" button (return to default maybe?) almost all of my settings are on good/high. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen, but I know I'm super happy for it.

Running on Win7 Pro x32

Not sure if I'll play on OSX again, but its kind of annoying the only thing that I like about Win7 is WoW performance :p
01/12/2011 12:33 AMPosted by Arsiinoe
"Though if you're on a pre-Intel PowerPC machine, the game will not run as of patch 4.0.1. "

Am I to understand the reason why I have not been able to patch to 4.0.0 is due to having a PowerPc? Please tell me you did not make it impossible for me to play a game I have played, owned and payed for for years! One thing if I wasn't able to upgrade to Cataclysm, another if existent game play was no longer possible.

Nope. The Cataclysm, and all it's updated goodness, happens whether you buy the expansion or not. You just can't get to 85 or see the 5 or 6 new zones they added. All of the changes to the existing zones, however, still take place, and require the faster Intel machines. Even if you could run the game, the new shader engines and all that would make it run like crap.

PowerPC's have been obsolete for 6 years. WoW was one of the LAST holdouts that supported it. Finally Blizzard just got to the point where it wasn't feasible to merit the costs of supporting PPC any longer.
01/12/2011 12:33 AMPosted by Arsiinoe

Yes. With the 4.0.1 patch that come out on the 12 of October 2010

Also they haven't made it impossible for you to play the game , only made it impossible to play on a Power PC Mac.

You will still be able to play on a Windows PC or a Intel Mac just fine.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
I have an iMac w/intel 2.8ghz. Since Cataclysm I'm not able to run the game in the Ultra settings and have to use Fair on all settings. Running Max OS X 10.6.6, with an ATIRadeonHD2600. Oh 4G ram. Will I every be able to go back to Ultra settings on this machine?
01/14/2011 8:22 PMPosted by Vantage
I have an iMac w/intel 2.8ghz. Since Cataclysm I'm not able to run the game in the Ultra settings and have to use Fair on all settings. Running Max OS X 10.6.6, with an ATIRadeonHD2600. Oh 4G ram. Will I every be able to go back to Ultra settings on this machine?

As mentioned in the first few pages of this thread, "ultra" as it is on Cataclysm is actually several settings higher than the "ultra" setting of Wrath. So things are going to be a lot more taxing.

Also, the 2600 was kind of a crappy card even when it was new. I've never been able to get it to run Cataclysm very well.
Ok, thanks.
Wish I could update that card!

Thank you very much!! Your time and effort is greatly appreciated!!!
So my MacBook Pro late 2008 died on me and I'm getting it swapped out for a new 8 core Mac Pro with the 5870 card in it, all other specs are standard and I'm running it on the 24" cinema display. Does anyone else have this config? What kind of fps are you getting and what settings are you running at?

To comment on the windows vs osx game play I can say in my personal experience the windows (unfortunately) out performs osx... On my late 2008 mbp (attached to the 24" acd) I had to keep all the settings to low and bump the resolution down a notch to get 25 fps... Booting into bootcamp with win 7 I was able to go up to "good" (low water and shadow and no sunshafts) on native res and I could maintain 25fps.
I'd like some input here on my graphic problem.

Mac Book
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB ram
Nvidea GeForce 320M

I know this is a bare bones machine for playing WOW, but it's what I have and I'll have to live with it.

So, my problem limited to the the major cities, it's not so much slowdown but total lock up. The game can lock up for up to five or more seconds at a time when I turn corners, take off flying or even turn around 180 degrees. Is this most likely due to Processor, RAM, Video Card or what? If upgrading the RAM would help solve this, that would be great, but I suspect that's probably not the case is it?
I'm on a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with an ATI 5770, all settings to Good and I still get some lag in SW and other populated areas. I'm starting to think switching to bootcamp and windows may be a good idea.
Hey guys,

I'm using a 2008 macbook with 4 gb ram, 2.4 Ghz intel. A little trick I found that improved my frame rates considerably was putting the UI scale down to minimum. The improvement was considerable, but not advisable if u have problems reading small text. Also I found that with the texture resolution, the lower it was the worse off I was, so I have that on high, which is not recommended, but it works for me and works well. Sure, I still have problems with 25 mans, but turning the camera the other way works fine. Hope this helped out a few other old school macbook-ers out there.