WoW Performance Guide For Macs - Patch 8.0

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 5 6 7 20 Next
The recommended settings WoW offers by default are pretty much crap. They're set insanely too high for most models. Especially on the lower end.

It's possible they have the settings for a specific model lower than what the machine can handle, but not for the 2010 MBP you mentioned.

I just took the WTF and Cache folders out to see what the settings were by default for the Mid 2010 MBP with the 512MB GT330, and the default settings Blizzard recommends on WoW's first launch are most certainly higher than what I have posted here. So I don't know why you say mine are higher.

The default settings have EVERYTHING on high, with 8x multisampling and ultra shadows, which the GT330 simply can't handle. I've lowered the most taxing settings like sunshafts and liquid detail to more reasonable levels.

For 4.1 with 2010 MBP best setting i found was Default Settings with Sunshafts to low and Vertical Sync disabled. The CPU and GPU temperature are: 75 ad 65 F
Thanks for this guide Stormtides. I used the settings for the late 2008 aluminum unibody Macbook for my mid-2009 white Macbook Core2Duo with 2 GB of RAM and a 256 MB Nvidia GeForce 9400M and I'm getting great results. I'd been playing around with the settings for a while, but couldn't quite get them right. Now I'm running around 60-70 FPS. I don't really care about how good the graphics look since I'm an old school gamer (still have WC3 LAN parties :)), so it's nice to have some speed.

I know it's an obvious thing, but it can be something people forget, but running the game in true fullscreen (not the windowed one where you can command-tab out) greatly increases framerate. Also, fixing your drive permissions can help out with caching. A simple restart will also give you a boost if you notice your framerate dropping over the course of a 12 hour gaming session, plus it forces you to find something else to do for five minutes :D And, just like turning off addons in WoW boosts performance, turning off unnecessary third-party extensions helps, as well as quitting memory hogging apps, like Safari or Firefox. Just a few tweaks from a guy who won't shell out the cash to upgrade. I'm tempted to dig up my old early 2006 Macbook and see if I couldn't tweak it to give me some decent results.
Build a Hakintosh and you will be rocking 120fps Ultra settings (sunshafts off and water on fair) @ 1920x1200x32. 25 Man raids it dips down to 40-60fps.
i7 860 CPU
8GB 1600MHz DDR3
1GB ATI Radeon5770HD
OS X 10.6.7 runs native (using Vanilla Darwin Kernel)

WoW runs faster in 10.6.X than it does in W7. Granted, SS and water can be bumped up in settings with less of a performance hit than OS X, but not worth it (yet).

Just my 2 cents worth.
I have the new 2011 iMac 27" 3.1 GHz i5 with 4 GB Ram and AMD 6970M 1GB and these are my settings:

Graphics > Display

Multisampling: 1x

Vertical Sync: Disabled

Graphics > Graphics

Graphics Slider: Ultra

Texture Resolution: High

Texture Filtering: 16x

Projected Textures: Enabled

View Distance: Ultra

Environmental Detail: Ultra

Ground Clutter: Ultra

Shadow Quality: Good

Liquid Detail: Ultra

Sunshafts: Disabled

Particle Density: Ultra

Advanced

Triple Buffering; Disabled

Reduce Input Lag: Disabled

Hardware Cursor: Enabled

I have an average frame rate of 69.
Somewhat related, but this should be VERY good news to people if it turns out to be true. Apple just released a new DP build of Lion, and one guy had this to say:

Just reporting that the latest Lion DP build significantly improved my gaming performance over the previous. In fact, for my Sapphire 5770HD I am getting 10fps increase in WoW over not only the previous DP build, but 10.6.7 as well. I can not wait for full OpenGl 3.2 support.

Take it with a grain of salt, but this could be good reason to get excited for Lion. It sure gives me a chubby.
I read through all of the models and did not notice mine; here are my specs:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f1
Chipset Model: GMA X3100
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 144 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x2a02
Revision ID: 0x0003
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Just wondering if you've heard of a setup like this, and if so, what are your recommendations for it? Thank You
That is a lower end graphics chipset for your Mac.

As Stormtides/Stoneblade suggested:

Older Macbook, Macbook Air, and Mac Mini
    You will NEVER get frame rates higher than 15-20fps. Those machines do NOT have independent 3D graphics cards. They are using the computer's motherboard itself to render those 3D graphics, and it REALLY bogs the machine down. Period.

Set everything to Minimum Settings.

Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Tu-Sat 8:45 am - 5 pm CST
If you can't find it here, contact a rep direct :http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. Haala at your sheep!
Pfft! Secret doors, who needs 'em? What do I care about secret doors?... and the unparalleled delights they keep hidden from the world!
My setting for multisampling is 1X which I believe is the default. Does it improve performance to increase it to 2X which you indicate it shouldn't be set above?
Can't thank you enough for this guide!
Nice guide. Look forward to an update for OS X Lion.
07/21/2011 10:05 AMPosted by Sannerien
Nice guide. Look forward to an update for OS X Lion.

There won't be one from me for quite a while. I don't plan on getting Lion till Apple gets it's act together.
I know it is a bit older but can anyone tell me about
2GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo (YES, you can run Lion with this!)
17" LCD
2.5GB DDR2 RAM (upgradeable to 4GB)
160GB Hard Drive
iSight
WiFi
Bluetooth
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (Fresh Install)
ATI Radeon x1600

I would upgrade to 4GB RAM first thing. It doesn't have to be awesome for raiding going to be for questing and of course the trips to major cities.
I just bought a 2011 IMac and I was reading though this thread to figure out the best settings. I have the highest stock IMac (3.1 processor, etc). So far, everything is going well and I'm very happy. One thing I was wondering, I know that the original guide recommended for all Macs to set the max FPS at 30/40. Is that still something that is recommended for all IMacs? If so, what's the purpose behind it? I'm assuming it's to help with heat (and, that is a very valid concern) due to the less processing power required? Is this because the game really does not need to run above 30/40fps and running higher does not give much benefit?

I"m just curious because the new IMacs seem to finally be pretty current in there choice of hardware and I was not sure if that fps limiting was still recommended.

One last comment, is there still a way to make the internal cooling fans kick up faster and if so, is it something that is recommended? I thought I read that somewhere also.

Thank you for you help! I'm looking forward to when this guide can be updated to reflect the new more powerful IMacs that Apple just released.
Hi, what are the default mb pro settings for wow..? I was getting 130 fps, then my bro gave me the "LETS SEE IT ON ULTRA" HERP DERP.

So I got 20 fps, and decided to get my 130 fps back....

So I went to the lowest setting and I'm getting 60....? Can someone let me know what the default macbook pro settings are for my 15" 2 GHz Mac Osx v 10.6.8? Thanks a ton

Edit: I'l like to say that all I see is "Recommended" which only puts everything on fair, doesn't get my 100+ fps....
I have the new 2011 iMac 27" 3.1 GHz i5 with 4 GB Ram and AMD 6970M 1GB and these are my settings:

Graphics > Display

Multisampling: 1x

Vertical Sync: Disabled

Graphics > Graphics

Graphics Slider: Ultra

Texture Resolution: High

Texture Filtering: 16x

Projected Textures: Enabled

View Distance: Ultra

Environmental Detail: Ultra

Ground Clutter: Ultra

Shadow Quality: Good

Liquid Detail: Ultra

Sunshafts: Disabled

Particle Density: Ultra

Advanced

Triple Buffering; Disabled

Reduce Input Lag: Disabled

Hardware Cursor: Enabled

I have an average frame rate of 69.

I have the same iMac as yours just that mines with the 2GB ram for the GPU. Followed the same settings as your but i am only able to get an FPS of 25+ Is it because of OSX Lion??
Stoneblade, I was trying to figure out why my FPS was so low on my new macbook pro til I suggested lowering down everything you recommended for my system and now the game runs flawless and still looks pretty good. Hopefully Blizzard can fine tune the shafts/water so I can turn those back on sometime in the future :) In the mean time though, i'm a happy camper lol
Im not much for replying to posts but I gota say Im new to macs an this is the first post I read that was really helpful the settings were spot on for my MBP.
Im new to macs this week been usen win based pcs and I'm impressed w/macs so this post was def helpful so TY.
Has anyone seen any performance on the new MBA's? I have a late 2008 Aluminum Macbook that gets about 30FPS with most stuff turned down, but I recently purchased the 2011 13" MacBook Air and was thinking about throwing WoW on it. I know it has a hell of a lot better processor and should be snappy with the SSD, but how does the integrated GPU match up against the 2008 model?
I have the same iMac as yours just that mines with the 2GB ram for the GPU. Followed the same settings as your but i am only able to get an FPS of 25+ Is it because of OSX Lion??

I just picked up the same specs as above - 3.1 Ghz Core i5 27" iMac with 1GB ATI Radeon HD 6970, and with Ultra settings; Vertical Sync off, and Sunshafts "low', the FPS counter shows me ranging around 60 to 120fps....

Make sure under "Advanced", you haven't lowered your max FPS unintentionally. The default has the background FPS capped at 30, but foreground is not capped. This was for heat-related issues on some laptops, like the early Intel MacBook Pros.

If all else fails, I'd recommend getting an appointment at your local Apple Store and getting a genus bar guy to look at it, because you went with the 2GB Built-to-Order video card option, you may have had a bad install.