FAQ: Non-Obvious Mage Mechanics

Mage
Prev 1 3 4 5 10 Next
Our mage created sticky section is no longer empty! That one lonely unoriginal sticky needed a partner! Once I get some more free time (wow@this quarter of college, civil engineering is time consuming to learn!) I'll recreate my raiding sticky. Probably be up within a month.
I know this has nothing to do with talents but as an arcane mage, do we need mastery?
Lhivera explain how Mirror Images work. For instance I know that you cannot get extra aggro while Mirror Images are on, but also I know that it can be used to drop aggro temporarely.

Here's a tip about Mirror Images:

Send the Water buddy to attack a boss (lower level raid bosses or heroic bosses etc.).
When the water bolt hits cast mirror image and all your cds
Hit the boss with all your might.
If the boss is not dead (but close) when the Mirror Image is about to fade cast Invisibilty.

This works because you can heal your pet when you are damaging the boss.

I use this tactic to clean most dungeons. I send the pet to attack a group of mobs then select only one and kill it, select another and kill it until all are dead.
Regarding Nether Vortex, I tested it recently and arcane barrage does apply the slow effect at max range without the slow glyph. The test was conducted by targeting stationary mobs beyond the range of slow but within the range of arcane barrage; the slow effect was applied every time.
Lhivera explain how Mirror Images work. For instance I know that you cannot get extra aggro while Mirror Images are on, but also I know that it can be used to drop aggro temporarely.

Here's a tip about Mirror Images:

Send the Water buddy to attack a boss (lower level raid bosses or heroic bosses etc.).
When the water bolt hits cast mirror image and all your cds
Hit the boss with all your might.
If the boss is not dead (but close) when the Mirror Image is about to fade cast Invisibilty.

This works because you can heal your pet when you are damaging the boss.

I use this tactic to clean most dungeons. I send the pet to attack a group of mobs then select only one and kill it, select another and kill it until all are dead.

Actually, you do still gain aggro while your images are up, you just have a temporary -4 mil threat.

I do think that a section on MI would be good, the basic resources I always recommend to people are the EJ thread on threat mechanics ( http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t40424-mirror_image_threat_calculations/ ) and some of Faxmonkey's old posts which I can't seem to find the links for anymore... Namely issues wherein MI will attack mobs you previously had aggro on, they don't benefit from raid buffs, etc.
See, I didn't know the -4 mil threat business. I knew how it worked by experience. For instance "experience" told me that it's NOT a good idea to use MI with Rotface :D.

Anyway I think Mirror Image mechanism falls in the category of "Non-Obvious things" a mage should know.
From wowhead:

Effect #1 Apply Aura: Mod Threat Flat - Temporary
Value: -90000000

Which would be negative ninety million threat.
From wowhead:

Effect #1 Apply Aura: Mod Threat Flat - Temporary
Value: -90000000

Which would be negative ninety million threat.

The number may have changed since the research done on that EJ thread, that's the number I was quoting.
Using the macro we used to initially determine what the number was:

/script isTanking, status, threatpct, rawthreatpct, threatvalue = UnitDetailedThreatSituation("player", "target")
/script ChatFrame1:AddMessage('You have '..threatvalue..' threat on your target');

It looks like your threat is set to zero, instead of a ridiculously negative number. This still makes you essentially immune to pulling for duration as it also appears that you don't add threat to that zero number as you continue to do damage, but the threat is returned to you upon it fading. This may be UnitDetailedThreatSituation() simply showing a minimum value of zero vice the ridiculous negative numbers we've seen in the past. It should be possible to measure that number on a large enough target, but I'm not sure if it has any actual benefit.

Essentially, it appears that MI is unchanged as far as the results of using it go. Your threat is still set to a low enough number and stays low that you should be able to nuke without care for duration once someone takes the targets attention off you.
Using the macro we used to initially determine what the number was:

/script isTanking, status, threatpct, rawthreatpct, threatvalue = UnitDetailedThreatSituation("player", "target")
/script ChatFrame1:AddMessage('You have '..threatvalue..' threat on your target');

It looks like your threat is set to zero, instead of a ridiculously negative number. This still makes you essentially immune to pulling for duration as it also appears that you don't add threat to that zero number as you continue to do damage, but the threat is returned to you upon it fading. This may be UnitDetailedThreatSituation() simply showing a minimum value of zero vice the ridiculous negative numbers we've seen in the past. It should be possible to measure that number on a large enough target, but I'm not sure if it has any actual benefit.

Essentially, it appears that MI is unchanged as far as the results of using it go. Your threat is still set to a low enough number and stays low that you should be able to nuke without care for duration once someone takes the targets attention off you.

I've heard that people were having issues soloing older content using MI. Since it no longer dumps you to -1 bazillion threat, you start at the same place as your images and can gain aggro as if you were on par with them. Before, you were at a negative score so the images always had aggro. Was this changed (fixed?) or just bad analysis by them?
As far as I know, that is still an issue. I made an attempt at Moroes late Tuesday evening and he went straight for me, despite MI.
Unless your MIs get on their hate list they wont get them to follow them until the MIs cast a spell that harms them. Try entering combat, invising out then using MI to start the fight. If it still works, this should cause everything to beat feet to your images.
Here's another non-obvious mage mechanic that seems to haunt me from time to time ...

... How come when I blink, sometimes I'll end up dropping through the world?
I have two suggestions!

I'd be interested in how resistance mechanics pertain to dual-elemental damage, which for mages is Frostfire damage of course. Zaldinar explained this on the old forum I think, do you know if that has changed at all in the beta?

Another would be the order of absorption for Mana Shield, Mage Ward, and Ice Barrier. I can never remember!

Also, /liked. :D

Here's another non-obvious mage mechanic that seems to haunt me from time to time ...

... How come when I blink, sometimes I'll end up dropping through the world?

Really? I haven't been down under in years. Used to happen regularly though. I kinda miss the underverse... :-/
I have two suggestions!

I'd be interested in how resistance mechanics pertain to dual-elemental damage, which for mages is Frostfire damage of course. Zaldinar explained this on the old forum I think, do you know if that has changed at all in the beta?

Another would be the order of absorption for Mana Shield, Mage Ward, and Ice Barrier. I can never remember!

FrostFire is checked against the lower of the two resistance values. That is, if your target has 100 Fire resist and 50 Frost resist, it will check against the 50 for penetrative resists. If you have 50 penetration, it will act as if your target had 0 resist value. This doesn't bypass the unmitigatible resist values based on being a higher level than the caster, which may well scale with raid tiers now (We'll have to see).

And the old order was Ward > Barrier > Shield, but I am unsure if this is still the case.
I have two suggestions!

FrostFire is checked against the lower of the two resistance values. That is, if your target has 100 Fire resist and 50 Frost resist, it will check against the 50 for penetrative resists. If you have 50 penetration, it will act as if your target had 0 resist value. This doesn't bypass the unmitigatible resist values based on being a higher level than the caster, which may well scale with raid tiers now (We'll have to see).

And the old order was Ward > Barrier > Shield, but I am unsure if this is still the case.

That would be strange if resistance scaled with tiers (And probably pretty tedious to figure out. Ugg). Thank you for clarifying though, I wasn't sure if dual elemental damage mechanics were changed at all in Cataclysm since we'll be seeing more of it from some other classes.
I will make some time this weekend to comb through the thread and update the first page posts. Thanks for all the responses, and thanks for the sticky requests!
dont know whats up but popping images near Gamon in Org causes him to arggro =/
I got caught up in another project this weekend. I will sort through this thread soon and update the OP.