FAQ: Non-Obvious Mage Mechanics

Mage
Prev 1 4 5 6 10 Next
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forum.
12/06/2010 4:42 PMPosted by Karrok
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forum.

Game mechanics guides are the best guides. ♥
Does Glyph of Pyroblast also effect the 'Pyroblast!' from Hot streak?
12/08/2010 1:55 PMPosted by Extratwisted
Does Glyph of Pyroblast also effect the 'Pyroblast!' from Hot streak?

Yes, if it didn't the glyph would be 99.9% useless.
ok question...
If i am arcane specced for pvp and i spec into "shatter" on the first tier of the frost tree,
and another mage in the BG freezes someone with nova, or any other class that can freeze for that matter..do I get the shatter effect even tho I didnt use my frost nova.
Any solid evidence to this working with other peoples freeze spells would be grand.
im wondering if the arc blast crit chance x3 would work?
Yes, frozen by debuff on the target applies to everyone with shatter (or ice lance) in the area. easy way to verify this is find a mage friend, have them freeze something, and ice lance it. Note the likely crit and damage value consistent with a frozen target.
Another thing to add might be q&a about reactive barrier. I've already had several people asking me if it's worth taking, but I've never actually specced into it. The question I am always asked is: Does reactive barrier trigger ice barrier if you are already below 50% or does it only do so if you receive damage that takes you from >50% health to 50% or <50% (former meaning, if you are below 50%, then ice barrier will keep reapplying every time you are damaged while below 50% health provided ice barrier cd is up -- this would actually be worth taking since the ib is free and is applied without a gcd). Of course, if it is the latter, then it's a crap talent (which is how I interpreted it, thus not specced into it).
QUESTIONS:

When you use impact to spread ignite, if the targets it spread to had ignite will the buffs stack/add together? Or will a smaller ignite dot override a larger one?

Does range from a target decrease your initial DPS during rotation build up? (Because your spells missiles have further to travel?)
11/05/2010 4:46 AMPosted by Lhivera

Q: What does the Frostfire Orb talent do to the spell?

The second point adds a chill effect; this is the most significant change, because it allows the orb to proc Fingers of Frost, giving you up to fifteen additional chances to gain a Fingers of Frost charge per minute.

After doing a little research I have concluded this is currently not true. This is how Blizz intends this talent to work, but with 1 point (like I have) I can proc FoF off of FFOrb.

I'm guessing this is a bug, because if you read the talent they intend for the chill effect to be added with the second point.

So enjoy a free talent point untill it changes mages.
12/10/2010 12:16 PMPosted by Wyler
This guide desperately needs an "Ignite" entry.

Moreso "Ignite desperately needs to be understood so such an entry can exist". We'll get back to you on that. Its still being figured out.

12/10/2010 7:58 PMPosted by Jinjijin
When you use impact to spread ignite, if the targets it spread to had ignite will the buffs stack/add together? Or will a smaller ignite dot override a larger one?

Does range from a target decrease your initial DPS during rotation build up? (Because your spells missiles have further to travel?)

I'll verify this tomorrow hopefully, but when last I checked on Beta an impact spread ignite would only spread to targets that did not currently have an ignite on them. So if you blastwave 10 targets, 5 of them get an ignite, you scorch one of them and crit, and impact spread that targets ignites, only the 5 without ignites will get the new one, the other five would not be impacted at all.

And for range impacting output, it doesn't directly, but it can cause you to have less time to react to procs based on spells landing vs casting, which can foul stuff up a little. But no, there is no direct impact on DPS based on spell travel time. time spent casting is the key.

Edit: Unless what you mean is if the target only has 10 seconds to live and your missiles will take a second per to get to it, you start at T+0.0 waiting for a damage event a t+1.0 and the target ends up dying at T+10 while you're waiting for your T+11 event, in which case... Sort of yeah, but that is only of significant concern when the target is short lived, and if its short lived your concern over your output on it should be minimal.
Posted a couple additions, RE Frostfire and Mirror Image (thanks, Z, for keeping the answers coming!)
This guide desperately needs an "Ignite" entry.

Yes plz, understanding exactly how ignite stacks and the limits of it will help with an exceptionally large combustion, :)
Okay, so this is the skinny on ignite...

Ignite damage is directly modified by Mastery as you would expect. A tick of 100 with 20% gain from mastery becomes 120. Nothing exciting or weird here.

Ignite cannot crit (obviously... That would be just plain ridiculous)

Ignite does not benefit at all from Haste, it has a tick frequency of two seconds no matter what.

Its duration is variable, at least 4.0 seconds, at most approaching 6.0 seconds. This seems to be the result of crits landing at around the time that a tick happens a few times in a row. The ticks keep the same epoch as long as you keep critting, the duration gets pushed back, but not the damage itself. This means the ye-olde method of bank / 2 = tick damage isn't how it works now, you can get into conditions where the duration is greater than 4 and the method becomes bank / 3 = tick damage. This also means that ridiculously huge ignite banks aren't as likely as they used to be.

All fire crits, DD and DoT seem to contribute to the Ignite Bank in ways we are familiar with from BC and WotLK, where 40% of the end displayed damage is added to the ignite bank, where it is later removed either in halves or thirds depending on the duration.

There is a catch to adding to the bank, it seems that the two conditions that in the past have caused Ignites damage to be inconsistent still do, those being critting with two spells at close to the same moment in time ( <200 msec between events seems to be a reasonable expectation for it to be possible, although not every such conjunction will cause the problem), and critting with a spell at close to the same moment in time that an ignite tick is expected to happen (Again, <200 msec seems to be a fair approximation for the limit that this starts to happen at, but also again it does not happen every time).

This means that if you do something such as a Fireball->Fireblast, or Fireball->HS Pyro, you run the risk of "Munching" some ignite damage. It also means that if your damage events line up onto the tick epoch of Ignite you run the risk of "Munching" some damage again. The latter seems to be much much more prevalent than the former in my experimentation, and also seems to reduce ignite damage in not insignificant ways.

And bitesized version:

Ignites damage is increased by mastery.
Ignites damage is not increased by spell power, its tick frequency is not increased by haste, it cannot crit, and it cannot miss.

Adding to the Ignite Bank works as it always had, 40% of crit spell damage is added to the bank, either half or a third of that bank is removed per tick depending on how your crits have aligned with existing ticks.

New ticks won't "push back" the damage, your ignite bank should not be massive as a result of this.

Having two spells crit within around 200 msec of each other might result in munching. Having a spell crit within around 200 msec of an ignite tick happening might result in munching.
Presence of Mind; When is the most beneficial time to use it?
This hurt my head. I'm sure this info is important but I don't care about this game enough to apply any of this to "playing a game" past the basics of playing a Mage. Not flaming this guy I just feel more people need to have fun with this game. This all feels like work to me. More power to you theory-crafters though
12/20/2010 7:01 PMPosted by Zeegh
This hurt my head. I'm sure this info is important but I don't care about this game enough to apply any of this to "playing a game" past the basics of playing a Mage. Not flaming this guy I just feel more people need to have fun with this game. This all feels like work to me. More power to you theory-crafters though

Try to think of them as fun facts. Some of them really get down to the nitty gritty hurt your head mechanics of the game, but a lot of them are generally simple tidbits that make you say "Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks!"

This also does an amazing job of clarifying common things that happen in the game that look confusing/broken but actually function exactly the way they're supposed to. It's fine if these things don't interest you, but for someone who is more passionate in their gaming hobby than others, having a guide that explains how stuff works rather than how to gear/play (Leaving that part to separate guides) is arguably one of the most important things that you could ever have. It's something I wish more class forums had, but fortunately at least two of them do so far!
How do fingers of frost and frostbite work right now?

How does arcane power and flame orb work exactly? Does haste affect flame orb after it's been cast?
12/22/2010 3:33 PMPosted by Larcix
How do fingers of frost and frostbite work right now?

I assume you mean Fingers of Frost and Frostburn, as the "chance to freeze the target" talent is no longer with us. I do agree that Frostbite would've been a... cooler name. Frostburn is just kind of weird sounding, especially when the ice's "burn" is from... Frostbite.
LOL I actually didn't notice that it wasn't in any more. I mean I knew, but when I read something about Frostbite, I realized I didn't know how it was working. I now remember learning that frostbite is gone.

My second question tho: if I pop IV/AP during FO/FFO, does the orb update dynamically? Does it have any interaction with haste?

Also a long time question I've had; does the WE automatically gain benefits from CD usage or trinkets proc'ing etc?