FAQ: Non-Obvious Mage Mechanics

Mage
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next
Yeah, it was fun seeing triple digit crits. Now i guess those are only obtainable to bookins and spriests. How are you all feeling about getting out DPSd by hybrids?
02/17/2011 10:18 AMPosted by Iconoblastic
Yeah, it was fun seeing triple digit crits. Now i guess those are only obtainable to bookins and spriests. How are you all feeling about getting out DPSd by hybrids?

I dont like it. I think its inherently unfair that some classes get access to different specs that totally change the way they play. Warriors can tank or DPs, Priests can DPS or heal. As a mage we can DPS and that is IT.

All classes that have one role and only one role regardless of spec should automatically get a boost to that role above and beyond what other classes can do by simply changing specs..

Since its clear that Blizzard thinks the damage mages do is OK, maybe they should allow us to become super good healers too?! Weed out say the arcane spec and replace it with a uber healing spec! /sarcasm
this is how you fix that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7SQIoADqzI
my main is a mage and i must say blizzard really needs to buff fire its so underpowerd right now and compared to frost its not viable and its upsetting because fire is a very fun spec just its extremley weak for pvp atm they need to fix
Whats the best way to survive Ozruk as an arcane mage?

He's kinda a pain and i'd rather not have to switch to fire for this boss.

There's really not a lot you can do, but I have an idea. If the spell reflection is still up on the boss when he casts paralyze you could bounce an arcane barrage off of him as he casts it. I'll have to confirm that for myself, but I suggested arcane barrage instead of ice lance because ice lance's travel time is way, way shorter. Arcane missiles might work too.

Really though it's your healer's responsibility to be dispelling Paralysis off of anyone who can't dot themselves.
The note on living bomb is incorrect. Living bomb has a tick occur at the same time as the explosion. The only time it will ever be worthwhile to refresh it early is if you wouldn't be able to recast it once it has expired (due to boss positioning and the like) and is close to expiring again.
The flame strike ground dot effect from casting blast wave with improved flame strike stacks with the regular flame strike ground dot.

When I ran this as arcane I would just spellsteal the Elementium Bulwark. I was always with guildies so I knew they'd do their thing right away, I'd was about 1.5 seconds and spellsteal. When Paralyze is cast it's reflected off you. Only catch is that if you don't time the spellsteal right, towards the end of the fight the timing will be off Bulwark won't be up before Paralyze is cast, it's very strange.

Otherwise, like another poster mentioned, stay in melee range and auto-attack while you cast. When he puts up his Bulwark, make sure you get the debuff and Blink out and you're good to go. Rinse, Repeat. You do lose quite a bit of DPS though which is why you should be fire in the first place =P
Q: What exactly counts as "frozen" for the purposes of these effects?

A: If the target is affected by a Frost Nova, pet Freeze, Shattered Barrier, Improved Cone of Cold, Deep Freeze, Ring of Frost freeze, Freezing Trap, or Hungering Cold at the moment of casting, any spell will treat the target as frozen. It does not matter who was the source of the freezing effect.

If Fingers of Frost is on the caster at the moment of casting, Ice Lance and Deep Freeze will treat the target as frozen.

If both Fingers of Frost and Brain Freeze are on the caster at the moment of casting, Frostfire Bolt will treat the target as frozen.

If I missed this in a later post, my apologies. Unless it's changed since Wrath the proc from Enh Shaman's Frozen Power talent that causes frost shock to root a target also counts for the purposes of a freeze/shatter.
Q: Living Bomb refreshes the duration now, is this good or bad?

A: For AoE, bad. For single target raid fights, good. The DoT will do more damage over time than the explosion in the 1.5 it takes to cast a new Living Bomb. Contrary to the old days, it's better to let Living Bomb keep going.

With respect, I don't believe this is correct. Remember that you not only have to compare the dot damage lost to the explosion, but also have to account for the value of the half a fireball you finished casting while the LB fell off.

Obviously the optimum is to reapply the instant after it explodes still maintaining near 100% uptime. If that's not possible the question is which is better:

A) Lose the explosions, gain the extra ticks up to 100% uptime, trade GCDs from fireball filler to a few extra LBs cast.

or

B) Gain explosions, lose a few ticks depending on your uptime, trade a few GCDs of LB for fireball or other filler as you finish your cast and let it explode.

I did a brief rundown in answer to another thread, but here are the real world numbers from me for a recent fight with mediocre uptime (ie this isn't just a case of I got lucky and and had LB line up really well):

126.4k (LB explosion) + 73.5k (from extra fireballs cast instead of LBs) - 167.6k (LB dots lost) = 32.3k gained overall by letting LB explode.

So with perfect re-application after explosion you just gain explosion damage, losing almost nothing, but even with imperfect uptime the extra damage from filler added to the explosion damage will generally be enough to overcome the damage lost from ticks.
@ above, I've already responded to this. Living bomb actually ticks at the same time as it explodes - refreshing it early is a flat out DPS decrease.

edit: The last tick might actually be a sufficiently non-obvious mechanic to be worth mentioning in the OP, Lhiv.
I apologize for my neglect in updating the original posts. Been a very busy time; haven't logged in in almost a week. Will do my best to comb through here and update the posts this weekend.
I feel incredibly dumb for asking this but here goes anyway. I'm arcane and can't seem to get my dps over 10k, I've been using mage armor until I was in a dungeon tonight with another mage. She used molten armor and was geared about the same as I am, her mastery and haste were slightly higher but my crit and intellect are far higher than hers. She averaged 13k for the run. Any help on how to get my numbers up would be much appreciated but the question is which armor is better to use mage or molten for pve. Also what do we need hit and crit to be at ultimately?

Thanks in advance,
Folon
I've tried using Molten Armor for the crit buff, but when testing on dummies, I've noticed a big drop in dps. Without better mana regen, our mastery buff takes a huge hit, plus going oom faster means more time spent in a very strict conservation phase. Stick with Mage armor, and check to see if she was fire. That may be the reason for the Molten armor. As far as your dps, burn phase often, and work out timing so you can burn phase on mobs then conserve without having to use your Evocation. This helps. Plus, don't forget all our goodies, like the mana gem SP buff, Arcane power, Fire Orb, Presence of Mind, and remembering to eat our free food after each mob to start with fresh mana and therefore, mastery buff.
Question (concern) about mana adept and Intel increasing procs. Intel procs increase my total mana allowed, but don't raise my current mana (when my mana is 60,000/90,000, or 66%, and I proc all my intel, I go to 60,000/130,000, or a little less than 50%). If mana adept is based on percentage of mana remaining of my total, doesn't this actually reduce the effectiveness of my mastery bonus? I could see if it increased my current mana (going to 100,000/130,000) but it doesn't do that.
With the current changes to frost I'm hoping it's a lot more viable end game. Should I look forward to stacking mastery?
04/12/2011 06:46 AMPosted by Silversyn
Question (concern) about mana adept and Intel increasing procs. Intel procs increase my total mana allowed, but don't raise my current mana (when my mana is 60,000/90,000, or 66%, and I proc all my intel, I go to 60,000/130,000, or a little less than 50%). If mana adept is based on percentage of mana remaining of my total, doesn't this actually reduce the effectiveness of my mastery bonus? I could see if it increased my current mana (going to 100,000/130,000) but it doesn't do that.

From reading the tooltip, your spells are increased by "amount of mana the Mage has unspent." To me, it would seem that it compares it to your base mana, not compared to your maximum mana. So at 60k, you'd be at 60,000/(17,418) no matter what your maximum mana was with buffs/procs. Also, the procs that you do get would increase your spell power (though I do not know if the spell power increase would out-weigh the mastery loss if it does not work the way I think it does).

If someone hasn't tested this already, with the buffs to arcane I am pretty sure it might be tested soon.

I'd love to see an explanation of exactly how ignite works in the "non-obvious" mechanics post...especially now that it is "fixed" so that DoTs no longer cause an ignite.

Edit: Could we move the page 6 explanation of ignite to the first page please?