Declining Subscriptions

General Discussion
I think one of the contributing factors to WoW's declining subscriptions is the cross server. You take a boat from Booty Bay to Ratchet, meet somebody nice on board, then suddenly, they disappear never to return. You just lost a good friend and cannot even email them. You group with somebody you like, then for some reason, they leave the group and log or go LD, you've lost a friend again with no way of ever getting in touch with them. This is very demoralizing.
what do you think could be done about it?
They're fixing that (hopefully) with http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10551009/Patch_54_Feature_Preview_Connected_Realms-8_5_2013

well, the making friends part, don't know how they'll fix the declining subscriptions.
I agree ;(
08/24/2013 01:31 PMPosted by Bergoan
what do you think could be done about it?

Merge.

The.

Servers.

Quit trying to avoid the stigma of merging and JUST DO IT. What's the point of artificially making realms feel more alive when there's no real way to form a solid community due to this CRZ crap?

The stigma of merging servers will not fix the subscription problem. merging servers is seen as the death knell of MMOs, that's why they're going with http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10551009/Patch_54_Feature_Preview_Connected_Realms-8_5_2013
Subs will bleed, it's natural. Not everyone can enjoy WoW 24/7. Patches and expansions always bring people back, I personally had to take a full year break and play GW2.

Now I'm back and enjoying the game more than ever, sometimes you just NEED that break. some people refuse to, and that is why they are bored and disappointed. Some people do, and they return. Some don't. I'm sure Blizz has idea's to keep their subs, I'm not worried.
roll on their server, and ask for a battletage.

"Hey, I was that guy on the boat to ratchet you just met!"

I did the same thing with a person from LFD.
Quit trying to avoid the stigma of merging and JUST DO IT. What's the point of artificially making realms feel more alive when there's no real way to form a solid community due to this CRZ crap?

Oh goodie so some troll can make a toon with my name and one of us will have to end up changing our names.
08/24/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Rosenivy

Oh goodie so some troll can make a toon with my name and one of us will have to end up changing our names.

wouldn't it be if you had the name first you keep it?
Well you're still here, so it's probably not that demoralizing.

We've lost fewer subs than in Cata, and CRZ has been in effect since MoP released.

So I wouldn't put my bet on CRZ.
I think one of the contributing factors to WoW's declining subscriptions is the cross server. You take a boat from Booty Bay to Ratchet, meet somebody nice on board, then suddenly, they disappear never to return. You just lost a good friend and cannot even email them. You group with somebody you like, then for some reason, they leave the group and log or go LD, you've lost a friend again with no way of ever getting in touch with them. This is very demoralizing.

I think one of the reasons is the murder of night elf lore and no lore for drenanei.
Another assist in declining subs are gankers

If someone plays WoW for the first time, and decides to roll onto a PvP server, no 90s. Fresh and still learning the ropes, and gets ganked.. Needless to say he/she will get very frustrated, ultimately leading to them quitting the game

They need to do something that prevents ganking, yes PvP on a PvP realm.. but it is just stupid for someone killing a player who has absolutely no chance of even putting up a fight with them
It would really be nice if people stopped trying to play the "Subscriptions are down because of _______" card as if their belief about it was more right than the other 1000 pet theories others have - and simply stated what change they wanted to see and why.

If someone plays WoW for the first time, and decides to roll onto a PvP server, no 90s. Fresh and still learning the ropes, and gets ganked.. Needless to say he/she will get very frustrated, ultimately leading to them quitting the game

They need to do something that prevents ganking, yes PvP on a PvP realm.. but it is just stupid for someone killing a player who has absolutely no chance of even putting up a fight with them

maybe put a little not beside the word PvP that says "PvP=Player versus player. you can and will get ganked."

They've already done something that completely fixes that issue, pve servers.

I honestly don't think you understand what a pvp server means. Yes, it means pvp.

Not always, some make the assumption that they're not good a PvP and roll on a PvE realm.

Others buckle down, grow with it, and pvp.

I rolled a hunter on Deathwing to see what happens on a PVP realm. She's level 45 and hasn't been ganked. I'm sure it's very different on a full server but on this one there just doesn't seem to be a lot of ganking and I'm out in the world doing quests.
08/24/2013 01:27 PMPosted by Scribbler
You take a boat from Booty Bay to Ratchet, meet somebody nice on board, then suddenly, they disappear never to return. You just lost a good friend

Nobody you just met could be classified as a good friend.

Right click, add battletag friend. Solved. Now the person can be with you anytime you are both in the mood for it.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but you have the power to free yourself from your perceived torment.

It is a HUGE leap of illogic to lose contact with somebody not on your realm and espouse that that is the reason for a conspicuous loss of subs. And this doesn't even address the fact that were it not for xrealm, you would've never even met the person.