Why the Trolls and QQers won't last here.

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
Well, rating systems can be abused no matter how you look at it. It takes a select few to trash a perfectly good thread.

I've seen many forms of this. Rating users, Rating threads and other variations and they all do not pan out as designed.

How much control do you think we need here in order to influence things on these new forums? How much control is too much? That's the big question here.

You make it invisible with the new "Dislike" button.

I'd actually like to see some explanation about how that happens.

Let's say one of those people that annoys you with the constant trolling; you downrank him several times.

How many downranks does it take until you pretty much never "see" him again? Will downranks from posters other than yourself also "hide" him (effectively from everyone) if he receives enough of them?
If a troll does it right, you'll never know who to point the dislike button at.
I don't think the like or dislike button will solved any QQ problem.

Once the new boards become the only boards, it will be pretty much the same thing.

As others have mentioned, people will get disliked just cause they disagree in opinion, not causes it's a bad idea.

We have already seen that in one post a blue made a comment in.

This will solve nothing.

[li]"Dislike" posts on a topic that are not constructive or community-building.

That's a good standard but, unfortunately, a blue has already stated that the dislike button is to be used for posts you dislike and posts you disagree with.

That's a good standard but, unfortunately, a blue has already stated that the dislike button is to be used for posts you dislike and posts you disagree with.

So I read, but frankly, that isn't the most effective way to utilize these tools we've been given if we want a constructive community. The community managers can be wrong occasionally. ;)

The point is to encourage people to use the rating system responsibly. I disagree with people wasting their time on posts filled with nothing but doomsaying, hyperbolic nonsense, so there's my disagreement in the dislike. :P

We as a community can still encourage people to do the right thing with the system. It's going to take a lot of effort and I'm dubious anyone's going to be able to break the apathy barrier, but I'm going to give it the ol' college try.
I'm going to troll wether you like it or not!!! >=C

You have been grayed out (>-.-)>
I think it will be more fuel for the fire of trolls in disliking relevant posts and liking troll posts.... just sayin.....
That's why moderators exist.
It would seem over the past couple of days the QQs have increased but luckily out good men and woman in blue are doing a good job of trashing many of the threads :D
In the hands of mature and totally fair judges the ability to grade and label another still needs to be closely monitored.

But totally unrestricted in the hands of invisible anonymous posters on a public forum on the internet I seriously question the fairness and the wisdom of this.

It seems the desire to silence feedback trumps essential fairness and reasoned judgment now.
When all is said and done, we always and everywhere have to deal with the human condition in the real world. That's why there are checks and balances in most successful governments, why there is a need for police and courts, and why we have to pass legislation to tell people what is not acceptable.

Human beings have not changed much in thousands of years, so I think that we cannot expect Blizzard to be able to change human behavior much in a forum. That being said, a strong community who /ignores the immature people but encourages responsible commentary and dissent will raise the quality of the forums. And if the trolls and crybabies are not given the attention that they are seeking, like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum, they will stop and find something else to do.

I've raised a teen, so I have some insight...
I'm not sure how much this will change the forums. Wait and see I suppose.
I don't think the like or dislike button will solved any QQ problem.

Once the new boards become the only boards, it will be pretty much the same thing.

As others have mentioned, people will get disliked just cause they disagree in opinion, not causes it's a bad idea.

We have already seen that in one post a blue made a comment in.

This will solve nothing.

I agree the like and dislike have a limited functionality when it comes to troll control.

The best tool you have to deal with a troll is the ignore feature. If you ignore a poster, that ignore is ACCOUNT WIDE. The troll can not log on another toon and continue to troll you.
Just going to illustrate the problems with this:

A post at the time that the earth was not the center of the universe would have been greyed out.

A post that the world was flat at the time would have been highly rated.

A post at the time that slavery was wrong and needed to be abolished would have been greyed out.

If you post a concern about your class and spec, all the other classes and specs have motivation to grey your post out.

Trolls now have a new way to troll.

If you do not like someone who said something one time to one post you made you did not like, you can now track them and vote down their every post.

Your group (and any group) can act together in favor of some and against others for ulterior purposes.

Is this going to encourage players to make time-consuming and articulate posts here, or just save them for their private or guild websites?

Is this felt to be a way to promote praise of the game and every iota about it and to discourage any criticism whatsoever?

The account ignore feature would be far preferable imo. Is the purpose of this to promote a better website, or to silence criticism?

I would have thought Blizzard would have come up with a better thought out idea than giving everyone regardless of age, maturity or fairness a loaded gun and encouraging them to shoot anyone they disagreed with.
I don't think it will totally get rid of trolls, but it will be great to just pass up shaded out posts.
Death to Ming!