So Blizz has lied for years?

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
The team size has increased 40% and another 40% increase is planned, which will hopefully allow for a new content patch every month, a new raid tier every three to five months, and an annual expansion.

How many times have people posted something like "please use your millions of dollars per month to hire a few more people for more content" and Blizzard has responded with something like "throwing more people at the problem won't help"?

It looks like it helps a lot now that you are getting desperate to get subscribers to come back. I always knew you were lying with your previous stance. I can't tell if I'm happy or sad you've finally admitted it.

Sorry if this is harsh, but I read that specific part of their little interview and got a bit angry.
Sounds like typical software development to me. You could have the best team on the planet, most of the code already written, but the most frustrating part is waiting on the go-ahead from the guys upstairs at various critical junctures. Not to say that Morhaime isn't a great guy, but he doesn't make every executive decision himself.
You could have the best team on the planet, most of the code already written, but the most frustrating part is waiting on the go-ahead from the guys upstairs at various critical junctures.

Oh I completely agree. I don't actually hold the people in charge of making this game responsible (or the actual folks making content or trying to get people to make it). It was the decision of some top exec behind a desk refusing to let more people be hired and now their bottom line is suffering because of their cheapness. Its just both funny and sad that NOW, after 9 years or so, suddenly more people will help get content out faster.

How do you CMs feel when you are told to directly lie to us? Just curious...
Sorry if this is harsh, but I read that specific part of their little interview and got a bit angry.

To be fair, you get angry at a lot about this game.

No matter what people will complain about how slow/fast the development cycle is. I have have seen a complaint thread about how there is a lack of content in this game while at the same time there was an active complaint thread about Blizzard needs to slow down because people are still progressing.

Personally I have happy with the developement cycle for this expansion.
I have amazing dreams about new wow content and lore, sadly they will never know.......
It was the truth at the time, times and situations change. Not really a lie considering.
To be fair, you get angry at a lot about this game.

True... I feel I justify it most of the time. :)

Personally I have happy with the developement cycle for this expansion.

I actually thought it was pretty good, mostly. 5.3 could have had a little bit more in it, but I personally wasn't too concerned since I still had 5.2 content to finish up at the time. I'm really not even complaining about an overall lack of content throughout most of the game (though ICC and DS went far too long).

I'm mostly complaining about being directly lied to for nearly a decade.
And their lack of decent Alliance story in the last few expansions. I have no objections to Horde getting a good storyline but i do object when Alliance doesnt because of many different reasons (Ran out of money, ran out of time, ran out of ideas, whatever). When most Alliance victories are in books that i dont read and not shown in game that i pay to play, it makes me unhappy.

Unhappy people start looking at other games. I am now playing EQ2 and keeping an eye on EQNext. Eventually, i will not have enough fun in this game to justify $15 a month. For now, i can... even if just barely.
And their lack of decent Alliance story in the last few expansions. I have no objections to Horde getting a good storyline but i do object when Alliance doesnt because of many different reasons (Ran out of money, ran out of time, ran out of ideas, whatever). When most Alliance victories are in books that i dont read and not shown in game that i pay to play, it makes me unhappy.

Unhappy people start looking at other games. I am now playing EQ2 and keeping an eye on EQNext. Eventually, i will not have enough fun in this game to justify $15 a month. For now, i can... even if just barely.

Read the latest Kosak interview. They're giving you a major fist-bump every single patch, but most Alliance are too jaded to actually see how much this expansion is Alliance-favored. Kosak actually said that there's nothing more they can give you without essentially getting rid of the entire Horde.

Oh I completely agree. I don't actually hold the people in charge of making this game responsible (or the actual folks making content or trying to get people to make it). It was the decision of some top exec behind a desk refusing to let more people be hired and now their bottom line is suffering because of their cheapness. Its just both funny and sad that NOW, after 9 years or so, suddenly more people will help get content out faster.

Which statements in particular? Honestly, I don't really mind so much. I get what it's like to have lying be part of your job. CMs are basically PR people, it's part of what they do. If they're directed to lie (or be vague) about something, you have to do it.

Welcome to working in any corporation.
Which statements in particular? Honestly, I don't really mind so much. I get what it's like to have lying be part of your job. CMs are basically PR people, it's part of what they do. If they're directed to lie (or be vague) about something, you have to do it.

The statements I am directly referring to are those that go something like "throwing more money or getting more people will not help getting content out fast". I knew it was a lie then and they admit its a lie now. There are diminishing returns having a larger team, but they aren't that severe.

Yea I get that lying and misdirection is part of their job ... I just don't think I could stomach doing it. And I know I'll never get a straight answer out of them on the forums, otherwise they wouldn't be doing their job. Would it be great to sit down with some of the CMs (old and new) at a bar to get some really candid answers though?

Sharing a brew with Tseric would be a great time, I think. :)

Welcome to working in any corporation.

Yea... working for one now... I all about this. :(
They have been saying that just hiring warm bodies won't fix anything. They rebooted Titan back to pre-development basically which freed up a bunch of talent that they assigned to other teams.

Changing situation != lying

Didn't they fire all but a few hundred people a couple years ago?
those were customer service positions
08/26/2013 05:57 AMPosted by Veìl
They have been saying that just hiring warm bodies won't fix anything.

And now they are saying warm bodies will fix the problem help them get content out faster. Are they lying now or were they lying then? (Hint: they were lying then)
08/26/2013 06:02 AMPosted by Erras
They have been saying that just hiring warm bodies won't fix anything.

And now they are saying warm bodies will fix the problem help them get content out faster. Are they lying now or were they lying then? (Hint: they were lying then)

Or, you know- circumstances change. Oddly enough.
08/26/2013 06:04 AMPosted by Raiil
Or, you know- circumstances change.

It changes nothing from what I said. If more people means faster content now, more people would mean faster content then. Having another game in development or moving people from one game to another is entirely irrelevant. Circumstances changing has nothing to do with it.
08/26/2013 06:05 AMPosted by Erras
Or, you know- circumstances change.

It changes nothing from what I said. If more people means faster content now, more people would mean faster content then. Having another game in development or moving people from one game to another is entirely irrelevant. Circumstances changing has nothing to do with it.

No, not necessarily. Businesses evolve. Hiring more people may have, at that point, involved cutting everyone's hours. Total man power does not, in all actuality, guarantee more creative output.
Kosak actually said that there's nothing more they can give you without essentially getting rid of the entire Horde.

How that would be received:

"WHAT!?!? Crying on the forum was all the Alliance had, and now Blizzard has gone and given it to the Horde. 'The Horde lost. The Horde's gone. I had 11 max-level Horde toons and now they're gone.' God, everything's about the Horde! FAVORITISM!"
08/26/2013 06:06 AMPosted by Raiil
Hiring more people may have, at that point, involved cutting everyone's hours.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. It was pretty stupid to say. Yes, if they add 40% more people and cut the time spent so that the average time spent per week ends up being the same, nothing would really change. That is extremely obvious. (Though... with your creature output argument, you would think if the creative people had more free time and less work, they might be more creative... which would help).

But if you need more people for more production... you don't cut the hours of everyone else. You add to the hours (which requires more people, unless you want to overwork your crew).

Did I really need to explain this to you? >_>