Ability bloat is getting cray cray

General Discussion
1 2 3 18 Next
Am I the only one who thinks ability bloat is getting too high?
08/27/2013 09:18 AMPosted by Bennosuke
locks and 800k chaosbolt oneshot crits are balanced...
That doesn't seem made up at all.
its just for the op classes. like rogue is pretty bottom of the barrel. its just right as far as "balanced" goes.

That's now what ability bloat is.

08/27/2013 09:20 AMPosted by Ohgodfleas

THERE IS NO ROOM FOR FACTS IN THE REALM OF PVP QQ.
Ability bloat has nothing to do with dps, Bennosuke. And rogues are doing very well currently.
Personally, as long as said ability bloat is random utility/fun stuff and not in the primary rotation, it's fine in my book.

You're not alone but just be prepared to be called a baddy for not wanting a 37 macro (with all modifier combinations used) priority rotation.
Speaking as a Survival PvE hunter, yes. There are too many buttons to push. Happily, Blizzard is taking away our Readiness button next patch.

Holy priest button bloat is pretty obnoxious, too.

Holy paladins are about right.

Protection paladins are pushing it, but still OK.
Suriyel, no one has a rotation anywhere near that. In PvP there are plenty of situational spells, sure, but that's okay. As far as primary rotation stuff goes, only a class or 2 have issues with ability bloat. (though most classes do have some spells not being used, period, or that would be better off as a passive aura)
there increasing the dmg on all abilities without even thinking how long a pvp match Is going to last, let alone a lot of people against each other, soon pvp matches are only gonna last a few seconds
As a monk, and a Mistweaver monk at that, yeah, I feel like I have a few too many buttons and not enough attention to keep track of their cool downs and what-not. On the other hand, some classes feel like they have too FEW buttons, like Arcane Mages. If I can play a class with an Xbox controller and not feel gimped (not that I have,) then they have too few buttons.
While I sympathize with some classes feeling bloated....

/glares at the shield wall macro all PvP warriors need

I don't wan't to end up like GW2 either.
Holy priests probably have the biggest healing toolbox in the entire game. I use everyone single one of those abilities. I don't feel like its complicated. I don't ever feel overwhelmed. Even as a shadow priest, I barely have enough abilities to fill the default action bar.

Perhaps there are some classes with this problem. I wouldn't know. It certainly isn't every one of us, though.
Assuming the OP means "too many abilities", then I completely agree. They have done some pruning in the past, but I think they could do a lot more and I wish they would.

Recently my middle mouse button died and I don't feel like buying a new mouse just yet, so I had to rethink my keybinds. It really illustrated how outlandish the current number of necessary keybind really is.

I have keybound everything I can reach.
I have keybound shift-everything I can reach.
I have keybound ctrl-everything I can reach.
I have keybound alt- almost everything I can reach.

There is just no balance. That is the issue. Some classes have to manage 20 plus skills while others can do quite well to manage 10 or less. On a few of my more bloated toons I will pick every talent that is offered as passive and not click to use. Don't need another skill to manage. Oh and I always focus on trinkets that proc on their own! Not click to use.

Can't do it for every skill in every tree with every class but it often helps. As said in another thread. I play using a x-box 360 controller. Button bloat is my enemy. The good thing is I can map everything I need just fine for this Monk and the other two toons I play.
I would like to see more passive abilities, or more abilities that are triggered by a combo of other abilities, and fewer abilities that require their own keybind.
08/27/2013 09:20 AMPosted by Ohgodfleas

ive been crit for more than that
08/27/2013 09:43 AMPosted by Getright

ive been crit for more than that

You must have done something to deserve it though.

Absolutely. It is not uncommon at all for me to favor a passive talent over a stronger activation talent simply so I don't have to bother with yet another button. There are classes I think I might enjoy a great deal that I can't even bother leveling all that high because they start having way too many buttons to bother with. One of the main reasons I don't play Rift is ability bloat.
08/27/2013 09:18 AMPosted by Bennosuke

That only happens in PvE when the warlock makes a blood sacrifice to RNGsus and everything aligns.

100k rip ticks are balanced... cuz you know... rupture... 10k... vs rip... 100k...

Ferals don't actually have the energy regeneration that rogues do. We're more of a dot spec, and thus it makes sense that our dots would do a lot of damage. But 100k rip ticks really only generally happen in PvE when we get a rune proc and TF right before we rip.

Note that rogues (assassination) actually do more damage than Ferals (combat is about the same, and lolsubpve)

monks full heal super mobile ability to solo 2s teams... balanced also.

Any class can solo 2s teams. If you're talking about teams that know what they're doing, no, that's not happening.

Anyway I digress

@OP as a Feral druid (who probably has more keybinds than any other class) one thing i would say is that yeah, there are a lot of abilities, but many of them are very situational and you only keep them on your bars for a few situations. I think, however, that more abilities add depth that doesn't exist in other MMOs. In Guild Wars 2, for example, I think that the 10 abilities total that you can have bound is boring.