Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide 4.1

Druid
Prev 1 8 9 10 32 Next
hooray eluial :)
It's for level 85.

I don't know how things look for levels 81-84, mana-wise. It's possible you'll be able to just build on a level 80 spec and ignore regen talents til 85... although somehow I doubt it.

Depending on whether you plan on solo questing or doing instances, different utility talents will benefit you more or less for leveling. For instance, owlkin frenzy would be pretty nice for soloing, but less important for instancing.

Personally, I'm likely to build on my current spec by finishing out gale winds, then start picking up moonglow as I level, and then just do a clean respec once I hit 85.

alright, I'll prob just use my pvp spec and build on to my pve later to get glade winds for it.
I plan to solo level
I feel like the combination of Genesis plus always refreshing dots no matter what, will put us in a position where we have ~6 seconds left on the dots with sub 20 Lunar or 13 Solar energy (Even longer with SS procs) very frequently.

If you're one cast away from proccing eclipse wouldn't it be more beneficial to cast that one spell with no Dots ticking, then be able to refresh the Dots with eclipse?
I feel like the combination of Genesis plus always refreshing dots no matter what, will put us in a position where we have ~6 seconds left on the dots with sub 20 Lunar or 13 Solar energy (Even longer with SS procs) very frequently.

If you're one cast away from proccing eclipse wouldn't it be more beneficial to cast that one spell with no Dots ticking, then be able to refresh the Dots with eclipse?

Yes. If you're very close to procing an eclipse (1-2 casts) you can go ahead and wait to refresh your dots.
While I was testing out beta, I moonfire spammed a lot of stuff I had to kill and that was more than enough. Mana wasn't a problem and they died pretty quickly. The regen/cost reduction will be nice for instances though since spells do eat through your mana a lot quicker while actually casting.
While I was testing out beta, I moonfire spammed a lot of stuff I had to kill and that was more than enough. Mana wasn't a problem and they died pretty quickly. The regen/cost reduction will be nice for instances though since spells do eat through your mana a lot quicker while actually casting.

Yeah, I figured when questing you'd pretty much be MF spamming (or, rather, sunfire + IS in solar eclipse). But I think I'm going to be doing a mix of questing and instancing. Plus, really, the only other place for the points is MSS, and it takes 3 points to see the real benefit, so... meh, would rather just get the mana saving stuff while leveling and wait til 85 to get MSS.
I don't know exactly when this got stickied, but yay! Three cheers for the feathery goddess and her threads!
Was testing the fixed starsurge proc and it is working. If you have the insta-cast proc while you are casting, you will get a free one after a GCD. Every time it procced during the cast, I got a free one after a gcd from the time the spell was cast. So, it isn't available immediately, but pretty darn close.

I would like it if someone else can confirm this working on their end with similar findings. I would hate to give people false hope.
I just have a quick inquiry. I read all the way through your guide and it was awsome, but do you by chance know exactly what they did to starfall? You said they took away the splash, so does each star now not do its own aoe?

Furthermore I would like to thank you for this awsome guide of balance druid fetheriness XD It tis full of awsomness.
12/03/2010 7:55 PMPosted by Esmeralda
I just have a quick inquiry. I read all the way through your guide and it was awsome, but do you by chance know exactly what they did to starfall? You said they took away the splash, so does each star now not do its own aoe?

Furthermore I would like to thank you for this awsome guide of balance druid fetheriness XD It tis full of awsomness.

Correct, there is no more individual star AoE. All it is now is a maximum of 20 individual hits. If there is only 1 target available, however, it will only hit 10 times. So, to get the full effect from starfall, you need at least 2 targets available. Which is not to say that you shouldn't use it in single target situations. Just that you'll get more use out of it if you can save it for multi target situations.
testing stuffz

le sigh. Item linker = awesome tool that doesn't quite work right.
(Item not found)
Thanks for all this info Eluial very helpful. I just want to ask if the issue of mounting in Moonkin form will be fix by the time Cataclysm goes live? Its really annoying to keep changing into human form, while if your in cat or bear form your able to mount up with no problems. Is this going to be permanent? cheers :)
12/05/2010 9:09 AMPosted by Kilopoli
Thanks for all this info Eluial very helpful. I just want to ask if the issue of mounting in Moonkin form will be fix by the time Cataclysm goes live? Its really annoying to keep changing into human form, while if your in cat or bear form your able to mount up with no problems. Is this going to be permanent? cheers :)

Hey, I'm not sure. It seems to be intentional. Check out this thread for a more in depth discussion, with links to blue quotes about it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1127129620

However, 'intentional' is a pretty bizarre word to apply to something that only applies to 1 of our 4 permanent land forms, and more over, can be easily gotten around with a very simple macro.

Just make the macro

#showtooltip
/cancelform
/use NAME OF YOUR MOUNT OF CHOICE

And put that on your action bar where your mount normally would be. You won't notice a difference at all.
12/04/2010 10:46 AMPosted by Eluial
testing stuffz

le sigh. Item linker = awesome tool that doesn't quite work right.
(Item not found)

Unfortunately none of the Cataclysm items do. Anything outside of that can be linked though, or at least I haven't found anything that is broken. Hopefully it was intentional and we can on the 7th, although since they're already searchable in the database I don't know why they would do that. /shrug.
A very well written a thorough guide. More than enough info on the various little aspects I haven't checked out yet.
QUESTION. im hearing 2 different things about what to cast first when STARTING a rotation. You say in the post to cast IS then MF/SF at the start of a rotation, but in the video, he casts MF/SF first, then IS.

I know you still need to refresh IS first when refreshing dots during an eclipse, I just don't know what to cast first at the beginning of the rotation.
12/05/2010 10:01 PMPosted by Johalter
QUESTION. im hearing 2 different things about what to cast first when STARTING a rotation. You say in the post to cast IS then MF/SF at the start of a rotation, but in the video, he casts MF/SF first, then IS.

I know you still need to refresh IS first when refreshing dots during an eclipse, I just don't know what to cast first at the beginning of the rotation.

Well, like it says in the guide:
Video of the basic rotation (big thanks to Calculated of Kel'Thuzad). Of course, it is subject to change. When in doubt, go with what's written here, because it's easier to change text than to make a new video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8IfmVJ02Fk

Basically, the video was made a couple patches ago. I'm sure once he hits 85, Calculated will make another video of the updated rotation. But it's not exactly the work of a few minutes to record, edit and upload a video.

The proper rotation is what's written up, which is IS before MF. At the start of a rotation, you'll still be procing nature's grace, since it should be off CD, which means that you still want MF to benefit from the haste buff.
At the time of the video, I was refreshing Sunfire first, then Insect Swarm in Solar and Insect Swarm first then Moonfire in Lunar and non-Eclipse states. Since then, they fixed Sunfire scaling with haste and tick rate. Now it always makes sense to refresh IS first, which makes things a great deal simpler. As to the start of the rotation in the vid, I actually did start with IS then MF -- so not sure what you're looking at to say I started with MF then IS.

Anywho, as to future videos and updates, I've stocked up on Monster Energy+Juice KHAOS flavor and plenty of Appleton Jamaican rum to mix it with . . . with that concoction powering my soul, I will be 85 sometime within the next 24-36 hours and will likely have vids incoming on heroics / raids within the next week.

EDIT: In an almost entirely unrelated note, I wish we could pose our 3d armory models so you could see the top of my bald druid head. I have the troll tattoo that stripes front to back different colors (depending on hair color). Mine is orange on the nose, then white, then orange, then white, then orange. My head perpetually reminds me to swap between Solar and Lunar in case I forget. You can kind of see it in my avatar but it would be better zoomed in 3D on the armory page :)
well 85 -- very heavy alliance pop on my server so we had to rush out ahead or be rolled all night. mission accomplished. i'd load a vid of a rotation but

a) i'm tired and
b) while i managed to get hit capped in the mish-mosh of dungeon blues and quest greens, my haste and crit are pretty damn funny atm.

now starts the heroic farming for pre-raid gear. expect to have some very long eclipse cycles and some mana issues to start.
What a great guide! Keep it up!