Dark Rangers, Possession Theory

Story Forum
One the banshee is in control of a body for a certain amount of time, the banshee is no longer a banshee, but instead a soul inside the body.

Although Sylvanas has reclaimed her undead high elven body, she still retains the ability to shift in and out of her incorporeal banshee form at will. - This is directly from WOW's WOTLK website.

This quote doesn't have a time stipulation attached.
I am aware of that, however, Im not so certain its true anymore, what with Sylvanas being killed and not reverting to a banshee. It may be its a bit of both. The Banshee, when inside of the body, acts like a soul, and when the body is killed, they die with it, but they can detatch at will.

Ehh, It may also be that there is no time needed at all, and if ANY random banshee posseses a body and it is killed by suprise the banshee just dies, and the banshee has to basically hit an eject button before death to survive the destruction of its "host"

I'm suddenly reminded of those little alien dudes in Men in Black that were inside human-like robots.

*checks behind Sylvanas' ears for a release button*

I am aware of that, however, Im not so certain its true anymore, what with Sylvanas being killed and not reverting to a banshee. It may be its a bit of both. The Banshee, when inside of the body, acts like a soul, and when the body is killed, they die with it, but they can detatch at will.

Ehh, It may also be that there is no time needed at all, and if ANY random banshee posseses a body and it is killed by suprise the banshee just dies, and the banshee has to basically hit an eject button before death to survive the destruction of its "host"

hmm i think you may be right
Sylvanas death was poorly written. How does the Queen of banshees die from a gun shot wound? It would have been fitting to see Godfrey and his henchmen use a magical spell of some sort to disconnect Sylvanas from the magic that's holding her together. I'm still salty about her being pwned by little Timmy's peashooter.

I completely concur. I thank that ideally her elven frame would have a gunshot wound at which time she would immediately exit her body, possess Godfrey, and then force him to kill his subordinates and himself with the gun.

Unfortunately the purpose of the scene was not to be ungodly epic, it was to prove beyond the shadow of the doubt that the Forsaken need the Val'kyr, to the player and to the rest of the Horde. For the greater good and all that.

This is a large amount of guess work for the second part of your answer.

If I had to guess, the way the soul/banshee thing works is.. If you possess a body, be it empty or living, and live in it, the longer you control it, the more natural it feels. This process may happen at a different rate for possessing your own body, though I would doubt it, as it being dead, the way you move and everything would probably be slightly off.

One the banshee is in control of a body for a certain amount of time, the banshee is no longer a banshee, but instead a soul inside the body. So in order for it to be raised into a banshee again, necromantic magic would have to be used.

Again, thats all theory, and its all based on next to nothing. Its just how I imagine banshees working.

And that is precisely what I was thinking. Thank you for you input, it helped a lot.

I'm suddenly reminded of those little alien dudes in Men in Black that were inside human-like robots.
*checks behind Sylvanas' ears for a release button*

Ehh, not so much that. What Im really wondering is why they never use their sound attacks in WoW. Those are really meant to be crippling. I recall them having that in WC3.
I know many of the banshees are jealous of the living. Sylvanas may be much like that, at this point, and that may contribute to her and other banshees reclaiming there bodies. What I am most interested in knowing, considering the lack of decay on the Dark Ranger bodies, is are they alive and "feeling"? I know their senses are sharper than normal forsaken, which tends to indicate that they are more...functional... with the rot and all, but what about the feel of wind and such. Is it a case of Dark Rangers just being reposessed as higher undead, or do elves just naturally have a slow rate of decay?

i vaguely recall there being sound attacks from the ones in darkshore. i don't remember if it was just a debuff or a silence or what though.
as for their bodies.. i don't think there's any info on it. i assume since they have a full set of skin they'd retain a greater sense of touch and whatnot. arthas apparently kept sylvanas's body specially preserved in an iron coffin to torment her or something. perhaps something similar was done with her rangers, who knows.

I am aware of that, however, Im not so certain its true anymore, what with Sylvanas being killed and not reverting to a banshee.

This my friend is due to horrible story telling. Think of all the many ways to reasonably kill the Queen of Banshees and not once will you think of a rifle/gun(unless you're the ghostbusters). In any case there are instances were banshees have left their bodies after their host got pwnt, Sylvanas must have skipped that class.

I am aware of that, however, Im not so certain its true anymore, what with Sylvanas being killed and not reverting to a banshee.

This my friend is due to horrible story telling. Think of all the many ways to reasonably kill the Queen of Banshees and not once will you think of a rifle/gun(unless you're the ghostbusters). In any case there are instances were banshees have left their bodies after their host got pwnt, Sylvanas must have skipped that class.

In Warcraft 3, if I recall correctly, bodies killed while possessed by a banshee kill the banshee as well.

Though that could be due to game balance not to be taken as factual Lore.
In Warcraft 3, if I recall correctly, bodies killed while possessed by a banshee kill the banshee as well.

If I recall correctly Lady Nightwood Val'kry form got pwnt by the LK/frostmourne(!) once she was discovered, and she survived in her banshee form.

I'll research it in a sec.

If I recall correctly Lady Nightwood Val'kry form got pwnt by the LK/frostmourne(!) once she was discovered, and she survived in her banshee form.

I'll research it in a sec.

that reminds me.. how does a spirit possess another spirit?!
Just did a little research not only is Lady Nightswood pwned in her Val'kyr form but she's also pwned in her Vrykul form as Iskalder by you(the hero) and survives.
Just did a little research not only is Lady Nightswood pwned in her Val'kyr form but she's also pwned in her Vrykul form as Iskalder by you(the hero) and survives.

i think she was probably expecting it though. which would fit with the 'eject button' theory.

but i idk.
i think she was probably expecting it though. which would fit with the 'eject button' theory.

In that case why doesn't she "eject" before he dies?

In that case why doesn't she "eject" before he dies?

maybe she did, it was just really fast? /shrug

sylvanas spends time in her body about 24/7 these days, so it could be a 'matrix' type thing too.
So we agree that banshee's can shift in and out of bodies at will in some if not all cases in WOW?