What exactly are these Cogwheel Socket's?

Professions
I've seen some gear for cataclysm that has a "Cogwheel Socket", is this some new way for engineers to make money? Or is it just on engineered gear? and only engineers can use? And are they interesting sockets, or just more stats?

The information previously shown on MMOChampion indicated that Cogwheels are like Jewelcrafter's special Dragon's Eye gems, and that the Engineering crafted helms would have sockets specifically for them. However, that information seems to have disappeared.
Also, if they only fit in Engineering produced helms, their usefulness might be limited to the first tier of content.

Edit: Here's a list of the cogwheels over at WoWHead. http://cata.wowhead.com/search?q=cogwheel
Cool, thanks for that info. Was hoping this was something we could make money off of, since I dunno what we're gonna do now that ammo is gone.
Seeing that there are no bonus stats on the goggles, these gems provide engineers a way to customize their engineering helms and possibly other items. This Engineering goggle contains 2 cogwheel sockets as well as the standard meta socket: http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/81720.

It just makes me hope engineering helms will scale with content.
Or at least make possible upgrades. In BC for blacksmithing you could get those weapons and upgrade them, I really liked that idea.

Or at least make possible upgrades. In BC for blacksmithing you could get those weapons and upgrade them, I really liked that idea.

Yeah this is pretty much what im also hoping for.
It just makes me hope engineering helms will scale with content.

me too
just got my goggles. worked my balls off for them, i hope they will be like the fire goggles & the green tinted goggles. would also be happy if blizz gave us like some sort of GOOD flying mount to make like the flying machines that have more than 1 person seating that are available for non-engineers. the hog is worthless now that you can fly in azeroth. or atleast give us like something ALL classes need, and give us some enchants and stuff on weapons and gear instead of personal chants. and mix like engineering with herbalism and skinning for like a [FlowerPicker-3000] or a [Sharpened Skinning Knife] that increase % for a rare drop and give you +stats that sit in your bag or something. hell. give us a nice big fancy custom buff instead of these crap things you can upgrade for like 200g.
Make the schematic for the flying mount with passenger seat drop from archaeology, like Vial of the Sands, but for engineers.
Nice necro bro.
WTF, not even on topic, lol.
Am I correct in that the only item available with the cogwheel sockets is the crafted engineering helm?
Far as I know yes thats the only item. It takes a orb from heroics to make though...may be a issue for PVP players. Happy Hunting !