Shaohao Rep Gain

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 25 Next
We're all just guinea pigs as Blizzard sees how much they get away with before people quit. 100 mobs giving 600 rep is just really pushing it.

Get 2-3 people and farm the berserkers and kiln masters which give ~20 rep per mob, add your guild battle standard for a 5-15% (depending on which battle standard you have). It's not that bad.
why are all the realms shut down right now? though they say there up. Realms are all red and cant log in?
Realms down...Why?
Frankly, I am fine with a decent rep grind like that. I mean a real grind.

If you are OCD and you HAVE to have it, then you will grind it out. Same as Warsong Gulch rep. Or the old Timbermaw/thorium brotherhood/etc reps.

Otherwise, forget it and move on.
I think Timeless Isle is great for many things. But what I think Blizzard really needs to stop with all the factions! There are just too many. I realize its not needed, but at the same time by having so many it gets to be overwhelming for some of us. If there were fewer, I might be inclined to actually do them. Since there are just so many, I won't even start. Sometimes less is more. This is a big problem with lots of things in WoW. People complain about too much cc in pvp, and instead of reducing cc, we get more. People complain about too many dailies, we get more. People complain about too many rep grinds, and yet another was added. I do realize that many people will complain regardless. Trust me I do. I am glad I don't have to deal with it ;)
I think you need to be more careful with these patches. Whatever you did, it won't download and it won't let people log in to their servers--they're all red. Check the tech support forums, many many people are having this problem.
The rep gain is painfully slow from mobs that are obnoxious to solo if you don't have a stun. I've resorted to just farming the lesser rep giving mobs out of convenience. Perhaps an added weekly item turn in quest for rep? Perhaps even requiring a Burden of Eternity for once all players no longer need them?
09/12/2013 05:35 PMPosted by Grandevil
We're all just guinea pigs as Blizzard sees how much they get away with before people quit. 100 mobs giving 600 rep is just really pushing it.

Get 2-3 people and farm the berserkers and kiln masters which give ~20 rep per mob, add your guild battle standard for a 5-15% (depending on which battle standard you have). It's not that bad.

This may be relatively easy now, with the content being brand new. But how long do you think most folks will realistically spend on this to make this sort of little grouping a viable option? For those not able/willing to grind everything out in hours and hours of farming at the beginning this just may not be possible.
it is the final tier of mist ofc blizz tries to milk as long as it can to keep you occupy by adding this long grind

This is true to a large extent. We're trying out types of endgame content other than repeatable quests. Timeless Isle is the most direct "sandbox, evergreen" environment we've created so far. The Isle content as a whole isn't nearly as strict or linear as dailies. There are many things you can take at your own pace. Needless to say, we're very interested in the feedback -- not just what we're hearing now, but what we'll be hearing two months from now.

I'll be honest, I'd like a mix. As I've been saying for quite a while now, the lesson learned from 5.0 (at least from my perspective) is that we want choice. We feel pigeon holed when there's only 1 way to do things, even if there's a -lot- of that 1 way to do (ex. dailies). And 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 all saw those choices expand. Different ways to earn valor, different ways to earn rep, it was still a grind but we could go about it any way we choose, we could sit and just use the farm, we could just do daily dungeon runs, we could farm dread amber for klaxxi, we could farm tokens off warbringers.

I'd love to see something like a mix between the Isle of Thunder and the Timeless Isle, something nice, big, expansive with lots of places to explore with both random dynamic events -and- a daily hub. It's nice to have some structure -and- some freedom because it offers avenues for everyone.
09/12/2013 05:41 PMPosted by Windpaw

This may be relatively easy now, with the content being brand new. But how long do you think most folks will realistically spend on this to make this sort of little grouping a viable option? For those not able/willing to grind everything out in hours and hours of farming at the beginning this just may not be possible.

I guess it's the end of the world then if they can't get all rep items within two days of the patch. I'm literally speechless that people are so demanding about this.
You would think that the rare mobs would give some rep too. At least incorporate that Blizzard. : )
Wont it be increasingly difficult to find groups on the island once people realize the time put in was not worth the reward. That is a direct comparison to the Legendary quest line. Only you did not have to state any real comparisons.
09/12/2013 04:56 PMPosted by Lorralei
The Timeless Isle is too minuscule to be called sandbox content.

Guess you haven't been to too many playgrounds outside or seen how big sandboxes actually are or remember what you used to do in them. Were you a shut-in child?

I like our new sandbox. For now. New is always funner.

Barrens was over too quick (couldn't send collectibles - meat and rocks - to alts to use) - got my one pet on day one and done. Thunder was fun but once you're exalted, done. No sense killing rares for keys to treasure hunt for gold and elder coins (which also can't be mailed to alts who can use them).

Next week when LFR opens, there'll be way less people around I bet.
personally, i love it. I miss being able to grind like i used to and my guild has got back into running other stuff together besides just raids.

for others. it is not a necessity. do it if you like it or don't. find something else to QQ about so those of us enjoying it can do so.

two enthusiastic thumbs up
Don't change the grind. People should have to work for these items. The new content has only been up for TWO DAYS. I like that my items reflect some amount of work that I had to put into getting them.

If you think grinding mobs in the open world is hard, I'd hate to see what you think of genuinely difficult content.

I'm literally speechless that people are so demanding about this.

People play things to have fun, not to be bored. If content is boring because the nature of it is wholly uninteresting/unengaging due to the reward:work ratio being too heavy on either side of the equation then something needs to be adjusted. In the case of the new rep, it's weighted too heavily on work and not well balanced by reward (rep), and people would like to see this changed.

Personally, I would like to see the rares offer some amount of rep once per day (especially the ones like Evermaw or the pirate ship), or perhaps add rep to completing the Celestial tournament bosses once per week.
09/12/2013 04:54 PMPosted by Zarhym
I can't help but view Thunder Island, Battlefield Barrens, and Timeless Isle as being three parts in a continuing experiment.

This is true to a large extent. We're trying out types of endgame content other than repeatable quests. Timeless Isle is the most direct "sandbox, evergreen" environment we've created so far. The Isle content as a whole isn't nearly as strict or linear as dailies. There are many things you can take at your own pace. Needless to say, we're very interested in the feedback -- not just what we're hearing now, but what we'll be hearing two months from now.

The problem is. Its boring just killing the same 3-4 mobs over and over again.

I get where you're calling it a sandbox, but the little random events like the pirate ship and the skuny alemental don't really offer you much once you get the fluff items off them, as for the coins, I can make the 1k coins I would get off the ship real quick just grinding mobs.

If you added rep to the events that you could get once a day or once a week, then they would feel a little more rewarding, and the grind a little less boring, as it stands, I'll have double or triple the coins I need for the mount before I'm exalted, if I even get there.
I am quite curious why you (Blizzard) did not stay with your original method of reputation for Shaohao (the one were you worked up to venerate status). This allowed for a grindy reputation, but not one that was very difficult to achieve.

The real grindy part for the reputation was the 100k coins you required for the mount, which I am quite sure is why anyone would grind his reputation to exalted. I mean, I can understand if that was not the intent of the reputation, but it just seemed to fit in better with the character's interaction with the Emperor. It kinda fit right in. Might just be me though.
I don't think anyone is suggesting the rep only take a couple of days to accomplish. The issue is when the newness wears off, the number of people willing to continue the grind as it is now will dwindle and it will become harder and harder to complete. Will those who were able to sink the hours to do it in the initial "surge" feel more exclusive? Absolutely. Will it end up being fun and compelling for everyone else? For me, it would not.