Troubleshooting Sound Issues
Updated: 3 years ago
Article ID: 34792
If you have issues with the sound in a Blizzard Game (such as skipping, popping, screeching, or no sound), follow the steps below to troubleshoot the problem.
- Make sure your speakers or headphones are turned on and properly connected to your computer's sound device. For specific instructions, contact your computer's manufacturer.
- Swap your audio cables with a working set to test for a bad cable or connection.
- Sound from your speakers may be redirected if you have headphones plugged in. Disconnect your headphones to resolve this issue.
- Check your system volume by clicking the volume icon in your Windows system tray (near the clock). Make sure volume levels are set appropriately and that Mute or Mute All is not selected.
- Check your in-game audio settings in the game's options menu. Make sure Enable Music and Enable Sound are checked, Master Volume is set appropriately, and your Output Device, Speaker Setup, Sound Quality, and Sound Channel are correct.
Note: Higher Sound Quality settings will sound better, but may reduce performance.
Update your drivers and operating system to resolve any compatibility issues.
Close all other applications to resolve software conflicts and free up resources.
Reset your user interface to make sure your files and addons are not corrupted.
- Audio issues can arise when you run the game in compatibility mode. Disable compatibility mode.
- Be sure your default communications device is properly set up.
- Right-click the speaker icon in the Windows system tray (near the clock).
- Click Playback Devices.
- Select your preferred device and click Set Default Communications Device.
Tried everything here?
If you have tried these steps and still require assistance, visit our Technical Support Forums (World of Warcraft) (StarCraft II) (Diablo III) (Hearthstone) (Heroes of the Storm) (Overwatch) or contact us.
Please log in to submit feedback.
Did you find this article helpful?
Great! Help us improve. Please rate the following from a scale of 1 to 5 stars:
Sorry to hear that! We'd like to know what's wrong. Please check any which apply:
Thanks for your feedback!