- Can't create a character on WoW Classic realm
- Error: You already have the maximum number of characters allowed on this account
- I deleted my Alliance characters to switch to Horde, but now I can't create a Horde character
Across all realms, you can have a maximum of 50 characters per World of Warcraft account and realm type: 50 in Modern WoW, 50 in WoW Classic Era, and 50 in Burning Crusade Classic.
In addition, in WoW Classic and Burning Crusade Classic, you can have a maximum of 10 character per realm and, on a PvP realm, you cannot create a character if you already have in it a character of the opposing faction.
WoW Classic Clones that you haven’t activated count against your total. You can delete clones as any other character.
Recently Connected Realms
We are currently aware of an issue where WoW accounts with characters on realms that were recently connected may be the characters who were on the original version of the realm as active, giving an inaccurate character count.
To fix this issue, you will need to log in to the realm where the characters were originally to refresh the character count. Customer Service cannot see these "ghost characters," but you can find them yourself using the following steps:
- On the Character Selection screen, open the WoW Shop
- Select Character Transfer
- Go through each realm on the realm list in the transfer menu, making a note of any characters that seem inaccurate
- Several duplicate characters on the same realm
- Characters which are on a realm where you know they are not
- Go back to the Character Selection screen and click the Change Realm button
- Select a realm which was listing inaccurate characters and go to that realm's Character Selection screen
- Repeat Steps 4 and 5 for each realm that you noted earlier
Once you have logged in to the Character Selection screen for each realm that had an inaccurate count, your WoW character list will update to show the correct character account. If you found all of the realms, you should now be able to create a new character.