For Mac instructions, visit Apple's Using Apple Hardware Test guide.
Windows includes a Memory (RAM) Diagnostic Tool that performs a scan of your computer's physical memory and helps identify possible errors. Using this tool requires a reboot. Be sure to save any open documents.
- Open the Control Panel.
- In the search field, type Diagnose Memory.
- Select Diagnose Your Computers Memory Problems.
- Choose Restart now and check for problems (recommended).
Note: You cannot use your mouse in the Memory Diagnostic Tool.
Your computer will reboot into the Memory Diagnostic Tool. Once the tool comes up, it will run a basic memory test.
- Press F1 to stop the basic test and go into the Options screen.
- Use the down arrow to select Extended.
- Press F10.
- Once the Memory Diagnostic Tool completes, make note of any errors reported.
- Hit Esc to exit the tool and boot into Windows.