The Public Test Realm/Region (PTR) is a special service you can use to test patches before we release them to the public. When we start a PTR test, we'll announce it on the game's website. We run PTRs in English, French, German, and Korean.
If you need help with the PTR, check the Blizzard Forums for that game's PTR forum. PTR forums are only available when the PTR is running.
Note: World of Warcraft PTR realms are only available to players who have a full World of Warcraft account.
Create a PTR Account
Before you can log in to the PTR, you must have a PTR game account. Aside from World of Warcraft, games will automatically create a PTR account when you log in. If you have participated in a PTR test before, you already have a PTR account.
World of Warcraft
- Log in to Blizzard Account Management.
- Click on Games & Subscriptions
- Under Game Accounts, scroll down to Starter Editions & Public Test Regions
- Click on + Create PTR Account
- Restart the Battle.net desktop app
- Navigate to the Diablo III tab on the left-hand menu
- Select PTR: (Diablo III / Reaper of Souls) from the REGION/ACCOUNT drop-down menu
- Click Install to begin the installation process
- Once the PTR client is installed and updated, click Play to begin
Note: Copied characters do not share progress with their originals on live servers.
Install the PTR Game Client
To play on a Public Test Realm, you'll need to install the PTR game client for the game you want to test.
- In the Blizzard Battle.net desktop app, select the game you want to test.
- Select PTR in the game account/game region selector.
- Click Install.
World of Warcraft
You need to use the in-game character copy feature to copy a character from your main World of Warcraft account to the PTR. To do so:
Note: Character Copy is disabled before the Public Test Realm goes offline.
To copy heroes from your main Diablo III account:
Note: You must create a hero on the PTR before the copy banner will appear for your main Diablo III account.
When you purchase an item on the PTR, you'll be prompted to type the name of your region. To change your default region for PTR purchases:
- Go to the Options menu.
- Click Language and Region.
- Select your region from the PTR Purchase Region dropdown.
For more information on regions, check our Global Play article.
Note: Make sure you're purchasing your item for the correct region for it to carry over to your live game account.
- You must have a full World of Warcraft account to participate on the PTR realms.
- Reset your password to refresh your account information.
- If you are having issues during the installation process, review our Blizzard Downloader Troubleshooting steps.
- If you receive the "Unable to initialize storage" error, you do not have enough hard drive space, or you do not have permission to write to the proper hard drive. Move the PTR installer file to your World of Warcraft directory, then try to run it again.
- If you get a version error during installation, connect to a live realm to make sure you have the latest version of World of Warcraft. If the error persists, move the installer to your World of Warcraft directory and run it from there.