For Mac instructions, visit Apple's Using Apple Hardware Test guide.
Windows includes a Memory (RAM) Diagnostic Tool that performs a scan of your computer's physical memory and helps identify possible errors. Using this tool requires a reboot. Be sure to save any open documents.
- Press Windows + R keys
- In the Run windows, type mdsched.exe and press Enter
- Click Restart now and check for problems (recommended)
Note: Write down steps 4-8 before proceeding. Your computer will restart and you cannot use your mouse in the Memory Diagnostic Tool.
Your computer will reboot into the Memory Diagnostic Tool and run a basic memory test.
- Press F1 to stop the basic test and go into the Options screen
- Use the down arrow to select Extended
- Press F10
- Once the Memory Diagnostic Tool completes, make note of any errors reported
- Hit Esc to exit the tool and boot into Windows