Overclocked, damaged, or incorrectly seated RAM can cause game lockups, crashes, and performance issues such as low FPS and stuttering. If you are experiencing these issues, try the tests below to diagnose RAM issues.
If problems with the computer's RAM are found, you may need to take the computer to a computer repair specialist to have the hardware issue resolved.
Windows includes a Memory (RAM) Diagnostic Tool that performs a scan of your computer's physical memory and helps identify possible errors. Using this tool requires a reboot. Be sure to save any open documents.
- Press Windows + R keys
- In the Run windows, type mdsched.exe and press Enter
- Click Restart now and check for problems (recommended)
Note: Write down steps 4-8 before proceeding. Your computer will restart and you cannot use your mouse in the Memory Diagnostic Tool.
Your computer will reboot into the Memory Diagnostic Tool and run a basic memory test.
- Press F1 to stop the basic test and go into the Options screen
- Use the down arrow to select Extended
- Press F10
- Once the Memory Diagnostic Tool completes, make note of any errors reported
- Hit Esc to exit the tool and boot into Windows