Free Character Migration Eligibility and Limitations
- Your character's mailbox and auctions must be completely cleared. Do not create auctions until the transfer is complete. If you see an error message about pending mail on the character after you've cleared out your mailbox, you may have inbound mail that hasn't arrived yet. Wait until the mail arrives, clear your mailbox, and try again.
- Save all macros prior to your migration, as the User Interface will reset when you transfer.
- If your character shares a name with an existing character on the realm you are moving to, you must rename your character.
During and After Migration
- If your character is a guild leader, you must transfer leadership to another member or disband your guild.
- Do not attempt to send your character mail during a free character migration, as this may cause delays.
- Any items or character progress lost during the transfer will not be restored.
- Your existing character name will be free to use immediately after the transfer is complete.
- Any mail left in your mailbox prior to the migration will be lost.
- Your guild affiliation and tabard design will not transfer. You must join or create a new guild on your destination realm.
- Your honor transfers with your character. Any honor received shortly before the transfer may be lost.
- Your World of Warcraft Friend List and Ignore List will be cleared upon transfer.
- Once the transfer has completed, you cannot reverse it. The only way to move the character again is by purchasing a Character Transfer (not available in WoW Classic).
- Parental Control settings can block Free Character Migrations. To remove Parental Controls follow the steps in our Support Article.
Visit the Free Character Realm Migration article for steps on how to begin the free migration process.
Please log in to submit feedback.
Did you find this article helpful?
Great! Help us improve. Please rate the following from a scale of 1 to 5 stars:
Sorry to hear that! We'd like to know what's wrong. Please check any which apply:
Thanks for your feedback!