If Diablo II is running slowly on your system, follow the steps for your operating system below.
- Programs running in the background can interfere with the game. Close any running background applications.
- The game requires up-to-date drivers to run smoothly. Update your drivers regularly.
- Disabling the Automap may improve performance during gameplay. Press Tab in-game to cycle the Automap on and off.
- If you are running the game in 3D mode, try 2D mode:
- Click on Start > All Programs > Diablo II > Video Test.
- Run the test and select 2D as your option.
- Run Check disk and defragment your hard drive to try to repair any bad sectors.
- If you are running the game in fullscreen mode, try windowed mode:
- Right-click the Diablo II shortcut and select Properties.
- In the Target field, add a -w after the quotes.
- Click OK.
- Make sure you are running the latest version of your motherboard's BIOS software. This usually comes on a floppy diskette or CD included with the motherboard itself, and it should also be available on the manufacturer's website.
- VIA Motherboard Users should talk to their motherboard manufacturers about downloading the 4-in-1 driver update, which automatically detects and updates IRQ, AGP, IDE, and INF settings. This patch should correct sluggish gameplay on high-end systems and prevent lockups on VIA motherboards.
- If you continue to experience sluggish gameplay and choppiness, try these steps to reduce CD access and read times:
- Uninstall Diablo II.
- Copy the D2CHAR.MPQ and the D2MUSIC.MPQ files from the Diablo II Play Disc into the Diablo II directory on your hard drive.
- Select both files, right-click, select Properties and uncheck Read only.
- Reinstall Diablo II.
- With Classic versions of the Mac OS, restart with extensions off and remove all the old video card extensions, control panels, and preferences files before you install new driver software. To do this, hold the Shift key while the computer starts up. You can also use the Extension Manager control panel to create a custom Diablo II extension set.
To optimize game performance, follow these tips:
In-Game Options Configuration
- Press Esc key while in game.
- Click Options and then select Video Options.
- If you have Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, set Resolution to 640x480.
- Set Lighting Quality to Low.
- Set Blended Shadows to Off.
- Return to the Options menu and select Audio Options.
- Turn the Music Volume all the way down.
Tried everything here?
Updated: Sep 16, 2015
Article ID: 200491
Article ID: 200491