The Battle.net Desktop application uses a process called Agent to install and patch Blizzard games. The steps below may resolve problems in which Agent can’t download data or install files.
If your region is currently patching or undergoing maintenance there might be a known issue affecting all players. Check @BlizzardCS on Twitter, or the technical support forums linked at the bottom of this article, for information on any ongoing issues.
- Try restarting your computer before continuing with the remaining steps. This is a quick way to close the Agent process and allow the desktop app to update it.
- Use a wired connection. Wired connections will almost always be more stable than wireless connections, and dropped data packets can cause your installation or patch to get stuck, or give you an error.
- Disable or temporarily remove your security software. While your anti-virus program won’t usually prevent you from playing the game normally, it may prevent you from downloading new files and writing them to your hard drive.
- Make sure your operating system is up to date.
- The Windows Secondary Logon service must be enabled for Agent to run. Make sure the service is turned on.
- Malicious programs may interfere with the Battle.net Agent. Run a security scan to find and resolve any infections.
- Agent files may be corrupted from a previous attempt. Delete the Battle.net Tools folder and open the Battle.net desktop app again to download a fresh version of Agent.
- Some advanced internet settings may prevent the Battle.net Agent from connecting to our servers. Temporarily disable your proxy settings.
- Make sure your network is set up properly to allow Agent to connect.
- Make sure both your internet browser and Adobe Flash Player are up to date. Both can affect the Battle.net Agent's ability to properly connect.
- The Battle.net Agent may not have updated properly, which may cause other patching issues. Try manually updating the Battle.net Agent.
- Uninstall the game and reinstall if none of the steps above resolved your problem.
Tried everything here?
If you have tried all of these steps and still require assistance, please visit our Technical Support Forum (World of Warcraft) (StarCraft II) (Diablo III) (Hearthstone) (Heroes of the Storm) or contact us.
Article ID: 7343