StarCraft Lockups and General Crash Errors
If you're experiencing lockups or crashes while playing StarCraft, follow the steps below.
- Patch the game by connecting to Battle.net for the auto-patch, or download and run the stand-alone patch from the StarCraft Patch page.
- Uninstall and reinstall StarCraft. Be sure to completely uninstall any CD-ROM drive emulation tools that may be installed (Daemon Tools, Virtual Drive, CloneCD).
- Run Check disk and defragment your hard drive to try to repair any bad sectors.
Note: Do not defragment a Solid State Drive (SSD).
- Update your drivers regularly.
- Close any running background applications.
Note: If your system locks up or reboots, contact your computer manufacturer to find out how to close these programs for your system.
- StarCraft runs in 640 x 480 with 256 colors (640x480x256). Try setting your desktop to this resolution before starting the game.
- Disable Power Management settings. If you have a screen saver, set it to None before playing the game.
- Run the System File Checker to scan for damaged or missing files in Windows.
- Run Windows Update to be sure you're using the most recent version.