For the PC equivalent, visit our Running ScanDisk & Defrag guide.
Many common hard drive or OS problems on a Mac can be resolved by repairing your disk permissions and running Repair Disk. Before beginning, make sure you close any background applications.
Repair Disk Permissions
Repairing Disk Permissions is included in Disk Utility and can help reset all permissions that may interfere with installation, patching, or game play.
- Navigate to /Applications/Utilities/ and open Disk Utility.
- Select the hard drive the game is installed on.
- Select the First Aid option.
- Click on the Repair Disk Permissions button.
Repair Disk verifies and corrects any issues with the directory on a disk or volume. This includes bad sectors and corrupted sections on a disk. There are two methods to repair a disk: Safe Boot and Disk Utility. Try Safe Boot first:
- Start up in Safe Mode.
- After the system has fully started up, restart your computer again normally.
If the computer successfully restarts, you do not need to do any more troubleshooting. If the issue persists, try Disk Utility.
- Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key. (Lion users will simply need to press and hold Command-R until the recovery partition is shown.)
Note: Lion users will need to have a recovery partition installed to access Disk Utility in this mode.
- When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6, you must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
- Click the First Aid tab.
- Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
- Select your Mac OS X volume.
- Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
If any error messages appear after repairing the disk in the Disk Utility logs, please contact your local Apple Authorized Service Provider for assistance.
Article ID: 5900060