Many game features work similarly in Heart of the Swarm as they do in Wings of Liberty. However, there are a few key differences.
Three features are specific to the selected expansion level:
- Ranked (Ladder Play) and Unranked Matchmaking - Choosing Wings of Liberty as your expansion level will set you to the Wings of Liberty ladder when you play ranked games. You will use Wings of Liberty units and game balance.
Choosing Heart of the Swarm as your expansion level will set you to the Heart of the Swarm ladder when you play ranked games. You will use Heart of the Swarm units and game balance.
- Custom Games - If you switch your expansion level to Wings of Liberty, the custom games you create will be Wings of Liberty games.
- Matchmaking - Both Training and Versus AI matchmaking are tied to your selected expansion level.
All other features work the same way, regardless of the selected expansion level.
- If the Arcade Game depends on Heart of the Swarm mod files, only Heart of the Swarm expansion users can play. Attempting to play a map that uses Heart of the Swarm mod dependencies when playing with a Wings of Liberty license will result in an error.
- Players who do not have the Heart of the Swarm expansion can't use Take Command or Recover Game on a Heart of the Swarm replay.
- Wings of Liberty licensed players can't be invited to a lobby created by a player using the Heart of the Swarm expansion level.
How to Switch Expansion Levels
If you have both Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm and you wish to switch your expansion level, follow these steps:
- Select Menu.
- Select Options.
- Select Gameplay.
- From the dropdown menu, choose Heart of the Swarm or Wings of Liberty.
Article ID: 6751