If you are experiencing black screens after the opening cinematic in Warcraft© III, try the steps below to resolve the issue:
- Update your drivers regularly. The game requires up-to-date drivers to run smoothly.
- You can download patches for all of our games on our patch page. Download and run the patch to see if this helps.
- Check the Warcraft III System Requirements be sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements to run the game.
- Close any running background applications. Programs running in the background can interfere with the game.
- Check for overheating components. An overheating system can lead to graphical instability and can be the cause of black screening.
- If you are using Windows XP, set the sound card as the preferred sound playback device:
- Click Start.
- Click Control Panel.
- Double-click the Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices icon.
- Double-click the Sounds and Audio Devices icon.
- Click the Audio tab.
- Make sure the Default device listed under the Sound Playback section is set to your sound card, then try the game again.
- Try running the game in OpenGL.
- Click Start.
- Click Programs.
- Click Warcraft III.
- Right-click on the Warcraft III icon.
- Select Properties.
- Add -opengl to the Target field. (Example "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe" -opengl)
- Click OK and try the game again.
- If you still experence problems, repeat the above steps but replace the -opengl tag with -swtnl and try the game again.
- Set the Warcraft III refresh rate and basic settings:
- Right click war3.reg and select Save.
- Once the file has been downloaded, double-click to run it. This file will set the game to run with the basic settings for sound and video as well as setting the refresh frequency to 60 hertz.
- Once the game has started, you may select the Options menu and adjust the game settings (such as Video and Sound) as desired.
Please log in to submit feedback.
Did you find this article helpful?
Great! Help us improve. Please rate the following from a scale of 1 to 5 stars:
Sorry to hear that! We'd like to know what's wrong. Please check any which apply:
Thanks for your feedback!