- I want to report an inappropriate name
- My character's name is inappropriate, I would like to fix it
Our Naming Policy rules apply to all player-made names in-game, including characters, guilds, and pets.
Character Naming Rules
When choosing a character name:
- The name must be between 2-12 characters long.
- Accented characters are supported.
- Numbers and symbols are not supported.
- Mixed capitals and spaces are not supported.
All player-made names must follow our Code of Conduct.
Additional Rules for Role Playing Realms
World of Warcraft Role Play (RP) realms are intended to provide players with an added level of immersion in the game world and must avoid being disruptive to the world. Examples of common unacceptable or disruptive RP names include (but are not limited to):
- Non-medieval or non-fantasy names (For example: Slipnslide, Robotman, Discoinferno)
- Names that reference well known people, characters, brands, places, or icons (For example: Britneyspears, Austinpowers, Mcdonalds, Georgewashington, Newyork)
- Names that consist of multiple words (For example: Inyourface, Welovebeef, Howareyou, Sixtyseventy)
Blizzard reserves the right to assign a random name to any character violating our RP naming policy. For more severe or repeat violations, we may apply additional penalties to the account.
Changing Your Character's Name
If your character has a name that does not violate our naming policies, but you would still like to change it, you can buy a Name Change. This service is not available in WoW Classic.
Reporting a Bad Name
If you see a name that violates our naming guidelines, use the right-click option in-game to report it. If you want to report your own name, contact us.
In most cases, a player will receive a warning about the offending name and will be assigned a randomly generated temporary name. A message will be sent to the account's registered email address with instructions on how to change the temporary name to one of the player’s choosing.
In some cases, violating this policy may result in action being taken against a World of Warcraft account.
Note: If you would like to appeal a penalty placed on your account, please see the Appealing a Silence, Suspension, or Ban article.