Failed to Initialize Direct3D
Updated: 1 year ago
Article ID: 103041
Common ProblemsTrying to load the game returns error "Direct3D failed to initialize"
This error is maybe caused by out of date drivers, an out of date/corrupted DirectX installation, other applications causing conflicts or incompatible hardware.
- Make sure your system meets the minimum system requirements. (Diablo III, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, StarCraft Remastered, StarCraft II, World of Warcraft)
- Update your drivers to resolve any driver compatibility issues.
- Reset in-game options in Blizzard app (Settings -> Game Settings).
- Try closing background applications to resolve any software conflicts.
- Windows 7 only: An outdated or incorrect DirectX installation may trigger this error. Reinstall DirectX using Microsoft's web installer.
Tried everything here?
If you have tried these steps and still require assistance, please visit our Technical Support Forums or contact us.
Please log in to submit feedback.
Did you find this article helpful?
Great! Help us improve. Please rate the following from a scale of 1 to 5 stars:
Sorry to hear that! We'd like to know what's wrong. Please check any which apply:
Thanks for your feedback!